Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Revealed - All-New 2015 Chevrolet Colorado

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Okay, that question makes some sense. Of course, the 3.6L version will apparently offer as much as 6,700 lb towing... That's WAY more than any previous GM small truck.
That's really true, GM has gone back to how they built small trucks in the mid 90s. A S10 - properly equipped - could tow upwards of around 6000lbs; I'm going off memory and would have to look it up in my owners manual, but the mid 90s dimes were basically fullsize capable with better fuel economy and looks to boot.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All this talk about the 4.3L made me wonder a few things. So I went looking for reasons this engine would be wanted and concluded, it's not the old paperweight version, but the newest 4.3L available.

Okay, that question makes some sense. Of course, the 3.6L version will apparently offer as much as 6,700 lb towing... That's WAY more than any previous GM small truck. Most importantly, thanks to our wonderful scumbags in D.C., FUEL EFFICIENCY MATTERS! With that, the 4.3L was beaten out by the more efficient 3.6L and it's probably a good thing, considering EPA standards and the efforts GM makes to meet them.

Would be nice though, to see a 2dr and a nice, aluminum blocked V8, even though they'd never match the two...
I honestly can't imagine the 4.3 being more than 1 MPG worse than the 3.6. I think they did the 3.6 because the international versions were using it, and this would allow them to skip a lot of R&D testing with the 4.3. It ultimately saves money on the truck's development.

I'd rather have the 4.3. I think a truck should have a truck engine. That said...

Originally Posted by DietCoke
180hp and 347ftl/lbs for the baby duramax (stock.) 400+ ft/lbs with a tune... this will be my next tow vehicle and DD (crew cab) and I bet it will get 30+mpg empty, the current model 2.8 isuzus get mid 30s highway... and this one has a lot of newer tech on it. Can't wait for the release

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2013...1-duramax.html
... this will be the engine that gets me to the dealership. I'm just waiting for the day I can order one. I want a nicely optioned Canyon CC with the diesel, and I'll probably drive it for the next 10 years. The truck just checks too many boxes fo me.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TriShield
Both are the same vehicle, they restyled it for us though. That restyle will probably spread internationally as well.
I know. I'm glad we get the restyle
Old 03-24-2015, 10:01 PM

My major dilemma is this. I have always loved the looks of Chevy trucks more than GM. Even the Equinox over the Terrain. GM's always look to me like a 4x8 sheet of plywood coming at you head on as they drive towards you on the hwy. And this whole GM is professional grade vs Chevy being a lifestyle truck just oozes stupidity to me. However, the major thing I want in a truck is the Auto Trac transfer case. I had a 2003 Dakota with 4WD. I hated that when I was in 4WD and transitioning between ice and pavement, the front end would bunny hop and steer like a tank. I have an equinox and love having AWD. Essentially Auto Trac is selectable AWD in a truck. And to my understanding its only available in the Canyon. Looks is important to me. And so is Auto Trac. If I cant have both I wont buy either. Wake up GM. Put Auto Trac in the Colorado.

ps...No offense meant to you GM guys. Looks is subjective.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by kaptain
my major dilemma is this. I have always loved the looks of chevy trucks more than gm. Even the equinox over the terrain. Gm's always look to me like a 4x8 sheet of plywood coming at you head on as they drive towards you on the hwy. And this whole gm is professional grade vs chevy being a lifestyle truck just oozes stupidity to me. However, the major thing i want in a truck is the auto trac transfer case. I had a 2003 dakota with 4wd. I hated that when i was in 4wd and transitioning between ice and pavement, the front end would bunny hop and steer like a tank. I have an equinox and love having awd. Essentially auto trac is selectable awd in a truck. And to my understanding its only available in the canyon. Looks is important to me. And so is auto trac. If i cant have both i wont buy either. Wake up gm. Put auto trac in the colorado.

Ps...no offense meant to you gm guys. Looks is subjective.
gmc*
Old 03-25-2015, 06:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

AutoTrac is only a good idea if you plan on keeping the truck for 80k or less. Otherwise, plan on changing the transfer case after that. AutoTrac mode kills then in no time flat. It's never been difficult for me to just select 4wd when I needed it and off when I didn't. My 07 Tahoe has 250k on the stock T-case because I use it that way. I can't tell you the countless GM fullsize trucks I've seen get the transfer cases replaced because of AutoTrac.

If you're diehard on it, i'd service it every 50k or less.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

You're supposed to service the case/change the fluid every 50k anyway, that said I have 208k on my tcase and it blew a seal and ran almost dry for a few thousand miles. It still works lol lucked out there.

Why bump a really old thread just for this though
Old 03-25-2015, 02:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

What a difference 2 years makes... Having driven one recently, I no longer want one of these trucks.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Z Fury
What a difference 2 years makes... Having driven one recently, I no longer want one of these trucks.
Same here... Silverado just doesn't need THAT particular little brother. I drove both(among many) before passing on both, but I'd want the full size for sure, w/ GM being the only options.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Resident

The price on these things will skyrocket quickly with options as well. Just to get one with an automatic trans you have to step up 2 trim levels above the base model which includes additional add ons as well, mostly **** that I could care less about, greatly increasing the price. I like them but for a work truck I don't see why anyone would drop up to 30k or more on one of these and considering I'm not a truck guy I don't see any other use for a truck other than work, towing/hauling purposes. Just not worth it imo.

Last edited by badformulaLS1; 04-05-2015 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

I still wouldn't own these truck due yo the prices of them. 30k plus easily..... I rather spend 30k on a fullsize truck or go buy me a used duramax.....

However I do respect the tow rating of the little truck but it's just not for me.... 6700 lbs!! That's more weight than my Camaro on a open trailer.... good look for sure.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tuskyz28
I still wouldn't own these truck due yo the prices of them. 30k plus easily..... I rather spend 30k on a fullsize truck or go buy me a used duramax.....

However I do respect the tow rating of the little truck but it's just not for me.... 6700 lbs!! That's more weight than my Camaro on a open trailer.... good look for sure.
The tow rating looks good, but I can't imagine that 3.6 handling that much weight smoothly. If towing is needed, I'd definitely wait on the 2.8 TD engine, which apparently is now only going to be offered in the Colorado (not the Canyon)... Also, they're saying the diesel will only be available in the top trim levels, so prepare yourselves for a $45K Colorado price in order to find the diesel...
Old 04-06-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 576 Likes on 402 Posts

The tow rating looks good, but I can't imagine that 3.6 handling that much weight smoothly. If towing is needed, I'd definitely wait on the 2.8 TD engine, which apparently is now only going to be offered in the Colorado (not the Canyon)... Also, they're saying the diesel will only be available in the top trim levels, so prepare yourselves for a $45K Colorado price in order to find the diesel...
anybody that spends 45k on a truck that's not fullsize probably didn't graduate from high school......
Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

anybody that spends 45k on a truck that's not fullsize probably didn't graduate from high school......
Part of me wants to agree, but I've learned to say "to each their own" a lot. If they have the money and that's what they want, whatever. In those cases, I think the driver is thinking of the truck as a "man sedan" instead of actually needing a truck to do work. That or off-roading is their main concern, in which case the smaller trucks are usually a better idea.

Still, to each their own.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I disagree about anyone buying the midsize for close to the price of a full size being an idiot. Buying one of these over a full size despite the close price isn't stupid. If I was looking at a Colorado 4-door short bed vs. a GM full size 4-door short bed and the prices were the same, I would still take the Colorado. It fits my needs better.

I really like the new Colorado and want one specifically because I think the full size trucks have gotten too big. I want a truck for random house projects, to load up my motorcycle for track days and destination rides, toss mountain bikes in, and to pull my boat. I can't do these with a car and need a truck, and these "mid-size" trucks can comfortably do all this and still fit in my garage and park easier. A full size truck would provide me no benefit and would be more of a hassle to own.

I prefer the styling of the Colorado too, but that is too subjective to really count towards anything in a discussion.

Last edited by 1quickTransAm; 04-07-2015 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, labeling people who prefer one vehicle over another as "stupid" isn't exactly appropriate. That's something I expect from the greenie tree hugger prius drivers
Old 04-08-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by badformulaLS1
The price on these things will skyrocket quickly with options as well. Just to get one with an automatic trans you have to step up 2 trim levels above the base model which includes additional add ons as well, mostly **** that I could care less about, greatly increasing the price. I like them but for a work truck I don't see why anyone would drop up to 30k or more on one of these and considering I'm not a truck guy I don't see any other use for a truck other than work, towing/hauling purposes. Just not worth it imo.
I did a build on the Chevy website and @ 37k, it still wasn't offering enough to suit me. I ended up buying a F150 and definitely don't feel badly yet. I spent about the same and got way more actual truck. In fairness, the Silverado is still about 6k more than Colorado for basically the same amount of truck(ext. cab). It can move more too, but that part won't matter to you.

The tow rating I saw was 5k while doing the build, but I went w/ 4X4... I would never try to tow 5k plus w/ it anyway.

Not only too expensive, but the diesel reduces tow weight since it weighs so much. Even if the rating is maintained, it can't be feeling stable w/ 6500 behind it.

Or maybe the spent plenty of time in college too and make so much they don't care.

Originally Posted by 1quickTransAm
I really like the new Colorado and want one specifically because I think the full size trucks have gotten too big. I want a truck for random house projects, to load up my motorcycle for track days and destination rides, toss mountain bikes in, and to pull my boat. I can't do these with a car and need a truck, and these "mid-size" trucks can comfortably do all this and still fit in my garage and park easier. A full size truck would provide me no benefit and would be more of a hassle to own.
I don't really disagree with full size trucks being too big, but even the short box will be larger that the Colorado box. Can you fit your cycle in a 5-5.5 foot bike in there?

To me, the Colorado is quite close to the full size, but not quite there.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Not only too expensive, but the diesel reduces tow weight since it weighs so much. Even if the rating is maintained, it can't be feeling stable w/ 6500 behind it.
From what I've read online (which has to be true), the tow rating will not decrease for the diesel, which makes me believe the 3.6 is the limiting factor for the tow rating on these trucks (not the frame, or braking, or suspension, etc.). Also, during testing, an engineer reported that the diesel is doing "significantly better" with 6K pounds on it than the 3.6.

I'm fairly certain the max tow rating will remain at 6700 pounds, but the price will have a lot of people thinking full-size with a 5.3 instead.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

From what I've read online (which has to be true), the tow rating will not decrease for the diesel, which makes me believe the 3.6 is the limiting factor for the tow rating on these trucks (not the frame, or braking, or suspension, etc.). Also, during testing, an engineer reported that the diesel is doing "significantly better" with 6K pounds on it than the 3.6.

I'm fairly certain the max tow rating will remain at 6700 pounds, but the price will have a lot of people thinking full-size with a 5.3 instead.
I looked all over for the tow capacity, which GM simply hasn't got on their website about the Colorado. That said, I've read that the max rating is 7k and, like you, I've read that more is expected w/ the diesel.

The 3.6L may be the limiting factor, but w/ all the torque and power it makes, it seems unlikely. Any diesel they may add will be better for towing in general, so if their suspension, etc. is ready for more weight, GREAT!

Due to engine weight and position, I suspect the diesel would feel more comfortable, but it's also bound to be and therefore, feel, smoother in contrast to any gas engine struggling along. That said, I don't see GM allowing any Colorado diesel or otherwise, to even get close to full size tow capacity... it's like making the Camaro quicker than the Corvette and selling for less. Dat dont make no sense.

Also, I definitely agree that any serious buyer is going to consider a full size for the same price against the diesel w/ less power and less tow capacity. Am I wrong to think the full size w/ a hitch has a 7k plus tow capacity automatically?
Old 04-09-2015, 01:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm. A diesel mid size truck or a full size v8 thats not cramped. Let me think about this for about two seconds. Yup. Silverado. I honestly only see a market for lesser optioned Colorados. A well equipped one just doesn't make much sense for most people. I will be very surprised if there are many people that opt for a diesel.

Quick Reply: Revealed - All-New 2015 Chevrolet Colorado