Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Open to Offering Manual Trans and More Power for 2014-2016 Chevrolet Super Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GM Open to Offering Manual Trans and More Power for 2014-2016 Chevrolet Super Sport

2014 Chevrolet Super Sport Marketing Manager Says Higher Performance Versions of New Sedan Possible

By Jacob Brown | November 8, 2013

When General Motors announced that it would be bringing the Australian-market Holden Commodore back to the U.S. as the 2014 Chevrolet Super Sport sedan, many cheered. But more than a few enthusiasts deep in the fringes of the GM fanboy world scoffed.

The new sedan, essentially a heavily updated Pontiac G8 GXP, will be coming only with five available colors, two options–a sunroof and a full-size spare tire–as well as a six-speed automatic transmission with a 415-horsepower, 6.2-liter V-8 engine only.

Meanwhile, GM sells 455- and 580-horsepower versions of the same car in the Land Down Under, and several variants are available with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions, sedan, wagon, and “ute” pickup truck body styles. So why can’t we get those here?

Well, we can, says Chevrolet Performance Cars Marketing Manager John Fitzpatrick. Catching up with him during the Specialty Equipment Market Association’s annual convention in Las Vegas this week, Fitzpatrick says that all hope isn’t lost on getting the mega-powerful HSV versions of the car in the US.

“People say all the time, ‘Why don’t we have a six-speed manual? Why just one engine?’” he told us. Fitzpatrick says it all comes down to volume. When the Pontiac G8 was sold with a V-6 engine, a 360-horsepower V-8, and the 415-horsepower V-8 GXP variant, it was expected–and failed–to sell upwards of 30,000 units per year. He said that Chevrolet is targeting 2,000 to 3,000 sales per year with the SS.

If the program proves successful with its modest sales goals, Fitzpatrick said that GM would definitely be interested in at least looking into bringing over the manual transmission and more powerful versions. Our 2014 Chevrolet SS, he says, is the fully loaded-up version of the Holden Commodore SS-V performance version.

GM wanted to keep variations down to keep profits up, at least initially, and says shipping constraints have limited the numbers currently entering the U.S. Still, the first ships from Australia have set sail for the States.

Asked if a $45,000 Chevrolet SS or a higher-performance version could possibly eat into Buick or Cadillac sales, especially something like the 2014 Cadillac CTS Vsport, Fitzpatrick adamantly denied that happening.

“They’re completely different kinds of cars for completely different kinds of customers.”

http://blogs.automotive.com/2014-che...le-155849.html
Old 11-25-2013, 06:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok middle-age new car buying target market, this is on you! Let's get those 3k sales in so we can get one with the 6060!
Old 11-26-2013, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Cosmetically, I prefer the G8 to this thing. I do like the interior of the SS a little more, but the exterior of the G8 is superior in my opinion.

Also, the G8 didn't hit its volume target...? What vehicle did during that time? GM was in the bankruptcy spiral and the economy was tanking at warp speed. 30K units is a pretty lofty goal considering what was going on at the time.

Also, no way I'd even consider the SS at this price range without the new LT1. But that's just may take.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:15 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Expensive, boring looking, and nothing remotely mind blowing performance wise.

I just can't get remotely excited about this car.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:47 AM
TECH Addict

Seems to me, offering the models from there, here, entirely, makes perfect sense. You're already building it... Sell it where you sell most vehicles like it!

HELLO GM??? Is your "high performance market" being limited to 2 cars in America and several others in Australia??? This makes no sense, considering you've always sold far more vehicles in America. Of course, being the type of person you're aiming for with the SS, I'm not buying anyway. Too expensive for the blandness and low power as compared to other performance oriented vehicles. Oh wait... There ARE more powerful models...
Old 11-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

I seriously doubt the yearly sales target they're proposing will be met, and if so my guess is that the car will be discontinued.
Old 11-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully we will see more manuals from GM in the future, especially in the Colorado (and not just the bare bones version)
Old 11-29-2013, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,493 Likes on 1,075 Posts

They can forget the manual trans for all I care, but a more powerful engine offering would always be welcome. I definitely think it looks a bit better than the G8 ever did.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by King's Z
I seriously doubt the yearly sales target they're proposing will be met, and if so my guess is that the car will be discontinued.
This car and it's entire structure is being replaced in 2017 at home in Australia by something big and FWD if rumors are be believed.

Quick Reply: GM Open to Offering Manual Trans and More Power for 2014-2016 Chevrolet Super Sport