Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motorweek 2014 SS preview

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2013, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorweek 2014 SS preview

First Look: 2014 Chevrolet SS

OK, so it's only a first look, but we'll take what we can get with the new SS because it's going to be badass. Why with four doors, an LS3 under the hood making 415 hp/415 lb-ft and backed by a six-speed automatic with standard paddle shifters and a 3.27:1 final drive, it's a seriously competent four-door sports sedan.
Chevrolet claims it's good for low 5-second 0-60 times, although CarAndDriver recently tested one and it ripped off 0-60 in 4.5 seconds on a way to a 12.9 @ 111 mph in the quarter mile! (http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ed-test-review)
But it's not just about four doors and a strong drivetrain, other features include Brembo brakes; like 14-inch front rotors, 12.8-inch rear rotors, and four-piston fixed front calipers. Bridgestone performance rubber—measuring 245/40 up front and 275/35 out back wrap 19-inch forged wheels. The hood and trunklid are also aluminum.
Honestly, we know the upcoming Z06 is going to steal the show and many will snicker that the new SS falls short of GM's former fast four-door, the CTS-V, but this is the working-man's V8, the family-man's muscle car and we couldn't be happier that GM is producing it! While $45K ain't exactly cheap, it does offer plenty of performance and amenities for the money and we all know how well the LS3 takes to the aftermarket!
Here's MotorWeek's First Look

Main-page post: https://ls1tech.com/articles/first-l...-chevrolet-ss/

Last edited by loloone; 12-07-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:22 PM
TECH Regular

6spd please
Old 12-09-2013, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ this. no manual, no care.
Old 12-09-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

Most people interested in this car wouldn't think of buying it w/o an auto transmission. I'm with them too, considering how wasteful it would seem to shift gears manually in an otherwise really nice Chevy which happened to be made for smooth performance.

This competes well against any Charger for the price, not to mention any similarly built M-B or BMW 5 series, either of which probably cost plenty more. Shifts are likely much easier and more precise anyway, with the automatics we can get today and shifters which don't require removing hands from the wheel. It has paddle shifters doesn't it?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Most people interested in this car wouldn't think of buying it w/o an auto transmission. I'm with them too, considering how wasteful it would seem to shift gears manually in an otherwise really nice Chevy which happened to be made for smooth performance.

This competes well against any Charger for the price, not to mention any similarly built M-B or BMW 5 series, either of which probably cost plenty more. Shifts are likely much easier and more precise anyway, with the automatics we can get today and shifters which don't require removing hands from the wheel. It has paddle shifters doesn't it?
should at least offer a manual. much like the G8 had the GXP with optional manual. dont see the problem with a stripped manual option for every car out there.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Veteran

The two Holdens that were sold as Pontiacs had nearly 50% take rates for manual transmissions. The desire is certainly there for it.

It would be much easier for GM to address the transmission choices instead of touching up the styling of the car during it's run.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:28 AM
TECH Regular

audi, bmw, mercedes all have manual options in their comparable cars. the CTS also had manual options. i dont see why they wouldnt throw one in, consumers love the price benefit, gas savings, and performance aspect of manuals. i love DD manuals, im sure theres plenty of people who agree with me.
Old 12-10-2013, 12:43 AM
***Repost Police***

Agreed. Unless it's a big SUV or truck, manual all the way for me.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:25 AM
TECH Veteran

psssst, they might offer a 6 spd
Old 12-10-2013, 12:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sick_tight
audi, bmw, mercedes all have manual options in their comparable cars. the CTS also had manual options. i dont see why they wouldnt throw one in, consumers love the price benefit, gas savings, and performance aspect of manuals. i love DD manuals, im sure theres plenty of people who agree with me.
Which Mercedes? They all have automatics.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm learning to appreciate a quick shifting auto transmission in daily driver sedans.

It's probably just the old age talking.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Which Mercedes? They all have automatics.
i could have sworn that their entry level mercedes offered manual because my brother was looking at one, i could be wrong though. must have been the previous generation because i know the 2011 had it as an option
Old 12-10-2013, 06:46 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sick_tight
Im not sure how accurate that is, but I know most of those get auto's in America.

The cost is negligible and GM would have to lower the selling price to run what's likely and every bit as expensive strong manual which would be often abused by the few who want it.

The big differences to me are simple: Today, auto's are usually more efficient in the same cars than manuals because they finally have more than 4 forward gears. Plus, they're faster at shifting(if set up properly) than anyone I've ever heard of can shift a manual, particularly a manual with something like dreaded skip-shift. Plus, they have the ability to use paddle shifters which are WAY more cool than a clunky looking ball on a stick. Overall, it's just more sophisticated and better equipment.

I can see why some would like to stay old school and true to sports car roots, but this is no sports car. It's a luxurious sports sedan!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Im not sure how accurate that is, but I know most of those get auto's in America.

The cost is negligible and GM would have to lower the selling price to run what's likely and every bit as expensive strong manual which would be often abused by the few who want it.

The big differences to me are simple: Today, auto's are usually more efficient in the same cars than manuals because they finally have more than 4 forward gears. Plus, they're faster at shifting(if set up properly) than anyone I've ever heard of can shift a manual, particularly a manual with something like dreaded skip-shift. Plus, they have the ability to use paddle shifters which are WAY more cool than a clunky looking ball on a stick. Overall, it's just more sophisticated and better equipment.

I can see why some would like to stay old school and true to sports car roots, but this is no sports car. It's a luxurious sports sedan!
cts was offered with a 6 speed, i know 2011 c classes offered a 6 speed manual. i cant say anything about the brand new models but audis and bmws definitely offered manuals.

i like the simplicity of the manual (less things to go wrong) and the cost (replacement).

i just think it should be offered, those GXP G8's are near impossible to get someone to let go if it has the 6speed and if they are selling it, its at a premium price.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mercedes offers a manual only up to a V6 Diesel. Everything AMG (did not bother with B or R class AMGs..) gets a 7-speed "Multi Clutch Technology" (AMG SpeedShift MCT) automatic.

Quick Reply: Motorweek 2014 SS preview