Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2014 Z28 Pricing - $75K

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
LS7 Z06's were about this price new, except they've got no back seat, no carbon ceramic brakes, less developed suspension, and this is just as fast if not faster if I'm not mistaken? (around the tracks I mean).
The ZO6 did, however, come with standard items you can't even order on the Z/28, at any price. It was apparently a pretty good thing too, considering the engine used in each.

Plus, the ZO6 was surely produced in larger numbers than the Z/28 will be.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
Honestly I don't know why everyone's complaining about the price.... I mean there's 2014 GT500 going for $88k in my area. IMO Z28 > GT500

http://frontierford.com/San-Jose-and...-Car/21078292/
Who cares about prices where you live? Loaded 2014 GT500s are selling in the mid $60's all over the country.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

More then I can afford but the performance and purpose of the car backs it up pretty well. This isn't a car you buy to DD every day like a GT500 or ZL1 this is a purpose built track car pretty much.

I mean at least its not $95k like the Shelby Super Snake.
Old 01-05-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Lightbulb

You are forgetting how GM's CAFE numbers would be skewed if they made an LS7 a mass market engine in a reasonably priced Camaro...

The higher tier is by design -- the government's design actually. Don't like it? Vote out the politicians who want to make these performance cars unreachable to many with unrealistic fuel economy standards when the oil industry is booming here in the US as a byproduct of natural gas fracking!

Originally Posted by Zac_Speed
They could've put the ls7 in the 1LE and called it good..

Last edited by libertyforall1776; 01-05-2014 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ Amen brotha
Old 01-05-2014, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

$75k is a lot of money, but we are talking about a Camaro that can perform at C6 Z levels, probably a neat car to own if you're a diehard Camaro/Chevy fan. I like it, but could probably find a few things I'd rather have at that price point, different strokes for different folks I guess.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I love the idea of the z/28 but at 75k it's out of reach for me, I would have also loved as a package option on the ss, so I will also consider the 1le instead.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think GM intended for the "average Joe" to own one of these. It's truly built for racing, not street use. Pricing it like this ensures that the buyers will be few and far between and use will be extremely limited and maintenance will be done regularly at the dealership if the car us used for any reason as opposed to being shown. Either way, it's about having deep pockets.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:44 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's a pretty neat idea, and will be lots of fun around a road course. However, a 500 hp vehicle that weighs about 3,700-3,800 lbs will most likely trap 117-120 mph (if they run in some cold weather). Not exactly mind blowing straight line performance.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont see this car performing with a stock Z06 on the cup tires.. Am I wrong?
Old 01-06-2014, 12:26 AM
***Repost Police***

Honestly, I don't see it even close. The ZL1 was close to Z06 performance because of the "580hp," I don't know that the Z28 is gonna have the power/weight for that. In understand the handling will be better, but significantly better than the ZL1 is gonna be pretty hard...
Old 01-06-2014, 06:21 AM
TECH Addict

IMO: It may beat the ZO6 on track, for a lap or two, but the weight will cause too much trouble and before long, the ZO6 would overtake and remain ahead because it's not so "hot & bothered" as the Z/28 will be. Not to say the 28 won't be able to run multiple laps before needing a break, just that the 06 will be able to run more consistently fast laps because it won't experience nearly as much tire wear, plus brake fade becomes an issue at some point.

Maybe not, but I really think the ZO6 has the advantage. Besides, it's nicer in so many aspects, you'd wanna drive it longer.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In the grand scheme of things, it's a bargain; it's designed to go up against cars that cost 2x-3x the amount. Add in the AC/Radio option, and there you're set.

If you're someone who is seriously considering a Porsche 911/Lambo, then you're someone who won't have to even think once about whether or not you can afford to commute with this car.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

The way I see it, this car should be priced about $20k over an SS (LS7 + Suspension). So, I think it's worth $55-$60k. That's just me.

I can also see a die-hard Chevrolet guy paying $75k for one given the potential for this thing to become an instant collectible/classic.

With that said, there is no way in hell someone, who is looking to purchase a Lamborghini, is going to consider a Chevrolet Z28 as another option. People in the market for a Lambo shop them against cars like Ferraris, Audi R10s, Porche 911s, GTRs, etc. The only American cars they might consider are Vipers and top tier Corvettes like the ZR1 or Z06.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ I wasn't sure I wanted to add my post, but...

Originally Posted by Nightrydass
In the grand scheme of things, it's a bargain; it's designed to go up against cars that cost 2x-3x the amount. Add in the AC/Radio option, and there you're set.

If you're someone who is seriously considering a Porsche 911/Lambo, then you're someone who won't have to even think once about whether or not you can afford to commute with this car.
If you're someone seriously considering a Porsche 911 or any new Lamborghini, you're likely not even considering this car, period. Besides, the 911 Carrera S Coupe is under 100k, MSRP. That's hardly 2x the price. Actually, there are several cars not twice the price or more, which beat it on the ring.

There's that slight possibility that someone may inform you this vehicle exists(because you weren't remembering there is a Chevrolet brand for people like you) and then, you might look it over. Then you'll remember all the benefits of those other cars you can afford...

Also, anyone considering those models won't consider commuting in the Z/28 because they'll use their Cadillac, M-B, BMW, or whatever, for that.

The ZR1 or ZO6 or Viper don't cost twice the amount. Do those compete well with the Z/28? Just sayin'...
Old 01-06-2014, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by It'llrun
^^^ I wasn't sure I wanted to add my post, but...

If you're someone seriously considering a Porsche 911 or any new Lamborghini, you're likely not even considering this car, period. Besides, the 911 Carrera S Coupe is under 100k, MSRP. That's hardly 2x the price. Actually, there are several cars not twice the price or more, which beat it on the ring.

There's that slight possibility that someone may inform you this vehicle exists(because you weren't remembering there is a Chevrolet brand for people like you) and then, you might look it over. Then you'll remember all the benefits of those other cars you can afford...

Also, anyone considering those models won't consider commuting in the Z/28 because they'll use their Cadillac, M-B, BMW, or whatever, for that.

The ZR1 or ZO6 or Viper don't cost twice the amount. Do those compete well with the Z/28? Just sayin'...
Yea you're right; I mean if I was in the market for a Lambo/Porsche 911, I'd probably not end up with a Camaro of any kind. GM made this car very well, and made it capable of beating much higher-end cars, but it's still a GM car, and still a Camaro. The ZR1 is kickass, but the ZR1 is still a Corvette, and you see a lot of Corvettes around. The Viper is a Viper; there isn't anything else that resembles it.

They priced this car more than the ZL1, which has more horse power and more creature comfort. I think this car will go to the kind of people who buy cars as a collectors' investment, or those who prefer a turn-key race car, as opposed to building their own (like the COPO).

Did GM say how many they were planning to build each year/total?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

We're on the same page now, that's for sure!

I haven't heard of production numbers being stated, but maybe someone here knows and will share. My guess is, less than 1,000. They've got the remainder of this yr and most of next, so we'll know at some point.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Teching In

I don't know why gm only makes 1000 of something and jacks the price up when they could lower the price of the car make a ton more and sell them. With only making 1000 there are 1000 people with more money then brains and 500 of them will end up being a trophy that nobody ever drives. I do not know what the sticker was on a boss 302 but I think ford has done a great job making mustangs a good bang for your buck and gm is nuts.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by sanddperformance
I do not know what the sticker was on a boss 302 but I think ford has done a great job making mustangs a good bang for your buck and gm is nuts.
I think those were around $44k.

Leguna Seca model was about $50k.
Old 01-06-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I think those were around $44k.

Leguna Seca model was about $50k.
I wonder how much Ford would've demanded for the LS version, had they been wise enough to use even a 5.4L N/A(like the '00 Cobra R) or better still, an N/A 5.8L to really separate it from the BOSS 302... Of course, they'd have had to call it a BOSS 331 or whatever. Even a supercharged 5L would've been great.

Chevy did that much better impo. They took the Camaro, helped largely just the suspension and had the 1LE, just like they did back in the day. Then, they decided on the Z/28 and instead of tweaking the 1LE, they bumped the engine to the most serious N/A version they had. That's what Ford should've done for the LS and they dropped that ball altogether.

Quick Reply: 2014 Z28 Pricing - $75K