Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM announces 6 new recalls, 7.6 million cars in the US

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down GM announces 6 new recalls, 7.6 million cars in the US

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101793176

GM announced six new recalls on Monday, affecting 7.6 million U.S. vehicles, and 8.4 million total, from 1997-2014. Shares were temporarily halted.

GM also announced that it will take a charge of up to $1.2 billion in the second quarter for recall-related repairs, including the previously disclosed $700 million for recalls already announced this quarter.
GM stock reopened after the announcement, quickly falling more than a percent.
GM CEO Mary Barra indicated last week that there were more recalls potentially coming, telling NBC that "We're going to continue to look at the data that we get, and we're going to take the action that we need... If we find an issue, we're going to deal with it."
The recall announcement includes models ranging from the 1997-2005 Chevrolet Malibu to the 2003-2014 Cadillac CTS for "unintended ignition key rotation"—the same problem that led the company to announce a victims compensation fund earlier Monday.

GM recalled almost 189,000 other vehicles, including the 2005-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, for a "possible electrical short in the driver's door module that could disable the power door lock and window switches and, in rare cases, overheat the module."

GM recommends that drivers detach any extra weight, including other keys or a key fob, from the ignition key.
Old 07-01-2014, 03:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Smile

dont post bad stuff about GM.

remember theyre better than ever at recalling defective vehicles.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Makes clear, the new strategy... building confidence in the next generation of consumers.
Old 07-01-2014, 09:20 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTIMATEORANGESS
dont post bad stuff about GM.

remember theyre better than ever at recalling defective vehicles.
You just have to make sure you ignore any information about it being a defective part from a supplier that has also caused investigations and recalls for half a dozen other brands, pretending it's all GMs fault. That's the key.

I'm sure all these recalls looks horrible to joe schmoe car buyer, but when you consider the fact that theyre recalling everything they should've taken car of over the last decade, it doesn't look so bad and I tend to agree with It'llrun.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

thing its its not one small problem here and there.

it seems theres a recall once a week and its millions of vehicles and while theyre trying to take care of it its obvious they could have sooner and did not.

when is this **** storm going to end?
Old 07-02-2014, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

It can't go on much longer... most of the cars they've not recalled are already at the dump!

Seriously, they're trying to protect the company name for the future. Ford went through the same thing in the 80's and the entire company mindset was changed. GM has probably taken a page from that book here.
Old 07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

They're just catching up on things that old GM should have done a long time ago.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:15 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,278 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Looks like these recalls are working their way back to the older models. I expect that I'll soon receive some sort of recall notice for my '71.

In all seriousness, this "unintended ignition key rotation" concern is confusing to me. How does this happen? Are they saying that the key has found a way to turn itself? I know that there was an issue with the key falling out on the Cobalts, due to worn lock cylinders brought on by excessive keyring weight, but this seems different. I have owned cars that are on the list of those apparently capable of turning their own keys, yet I never witnessed any of mine performing such behavior. Is this the same deal as the 5th gen Camaros, where the recall is due to the possibility of someone potentially hitting the key with their knee in such a way as to shut off the engine? If so, the whole concern seems a bit over the top to me. Again, I have owned cars on that list, and I don't remember my knee ever being anywhere near the key or ignition cylinder at any time during normal operation.

Last edited by RPM WS6; 07-02-2014 at 12:32 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would get a small chuckle if they directed complaints to the holding company that got all the bad debt (as theoretically they were absoved of all liabilities), or told people to call the U.S. Government. I know why they aren't, but it would be comical.
Old 07-02-2014, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't that recall on the Trailblazer redundant? I swear I heard that one a couple years ago for that exact issue...
Old 07-02-2014, 03:24 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Isn't that recall on the Trailblazer redundant? I swear I heard that one a couple years ago for that exact issue...
I thought so, too (you might have seen me post about it on GMI... which it of course was overlooked).

Anyway, I found it interesting when reading about some the of actual facts surrounding the circumstances of those ignition cylinder accidents. It seemed to me that the people were goners whether or not their car turned off during the incident or not...
Old 07-02-2014, 05:13 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by demonspeed
I thought so, too (you might have seen me post about it on GMI... which it of course was overlooked).

Anyway, I found it interesting when reading about some the of actual facts surrounding the circumstances of those ignition cylinder accidents. It seemed to me that the people were goners whether or not their car turned off during the incident or not...
Yup. Two of the "big" stories I found about the whole Cobalt/HHR recalls were about two young women that had died in crashes after their cars had turned off.

One was drunk, but usually that was mentioned in one sentence down towards the bottom of a scathing article directed at GM. That's if it was mentioned at all.

The second was a girl driving to see her bf in another college town, late on a rainy night. Key flipped back to acc position, but still had steering and a little brakes before too much pressure builds in the system. So I assume she freaked out and jerked at the wheel, ending up in a fatal crash. Anyone with common sense (or at least had been told how to handle an emergency sotuation) would've just turned the key back on. She probably would've done the same thing had a tire blown.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Every new GM vehicle sold should come with a standard recall notice. Take delivery of the vehicle outside of the front of the dealership, then drive it around back and drop it off at maintenance!
Old 07-02-2014, 07:42 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Holy **** unit213 still posts on LS1tech
Old 07-02-2014, 08:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was honestly about to post the same thing. Same with TriShield.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Old 07-06-2014, 03:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by unit213
Every new GM vehicle sold should come with a standard recall notice. Take delivery of the vehicle outside of the front of the dealership, then drive it around back and drop it off at maintenance!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:02 PM
Administrator

Yes, that's it!
Old 07-06-2014, 04:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

"heard anything about your ignition switch?"

"i dont recall."

LOL i know bad joke but i didnt make it up.

this is kind of funny also.

http://thehill.com/policy/transporta...joke-during-gm
Old 07-06-2014, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Looks like these recalls are working their way back to the older models. I expect that I'll soon receive some sort of recall notice for my '71.

In all seriousness, this "unintended ignition key rotation" concern is confusing to me. How does this happen? Are they saying that the key has found a way to turn itself? I know that there was an issue with the key falling out on the Cobalts, due to worn lock cylinders brought on by excessive keyring weight, but this seems different. I have owned cars that are on the list of those apparently capable of turning their own keys, yet I never witnessed any of mine performing such behavior. Is this the same deal as the 5th gen Camaros, where the recall is due to the possibility of someone potentially hitting the key with their knee in such a way as to shut off the engine? If so, the whole concern seems a bit over the top to me. Again, I have owned cars on that list, and I don't remember my knee ever being anywhere near the key or ignition cylinder at any time during normal operation.
yes, the 5th gen key recall is due to the fact that since its a fixed key (flip, switchblade) whatever you want to call it, somehow can shut the engine off if bumped. GM's fix, open the key / key fob and turn the key around so it wont flip out any longer. then attach a regular key to it.

Quick Reply: GM announces 6 new recalls, 7.6 million cars in the US