Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Dodge Challenger SRT HEMI Hellcat Officially Rated at 707hp

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me think of something to complain about then I'll report back

Edit: wait, has a missing headlight because of an air duct? Safety hazard. Way to go dodge, can't even get anything right.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 'WHEELS'
Let me think of something to complain about then I'll report back

Edit: wait, has a missing headlight because of an air duct? Safety hazard. Way to go dodge, can't even get anything right.
Then they took out the other one for one of those nanny devices! Ridiculous!
Old 07-03-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justin455
I still think the Z is cooler, but i really dig the whole "beat them at their own game in an overweight pig using outdated technology" thing.

It certainly has the power to get to 200mph, but I'm curious to see if the brick can push enough air out of the way to get there. Who knows...didn't the '13 GT500 hit the mark? It's no aerodynamic wonder either.

One thing is for certain. I want one and I can only imagine doing bad things with it.
Aerodynamics are very diffucult to judge with the naked eye. A 2006 Dodge Charger is listed at a cd of 0.33 and total area of around 8.56.

A 4th gen Camaro is 0.34/ frontal area of 22/total CDA of 7.48

I found a Challenger cd at .35, total area should be close to Charger.

There is no reason this thing should not be aerodynamically capable of 200mph with 707 hp on tap.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:12 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
Aerodynamics are very diffucult to judge with the naked eye. A 2006 Dodge Charger is listed at a cd of 0.33 and total area of around 8.56.

A 4th gen Camaro is 0.34/ frontal area of 22/total CDA of 7.48

I found a Challenger cd at .35, total area should be close to Charger.

There is no reason this thing should not be aerodynamically capable of 200mph with 707 hp on tap.
Hard to say, it really depends on if they put the thought into it. More bulges, scoops, and air ducts that are necessary for these high horsepower monsters can wreak havoc on aerodynamics if the only focus was looks and cooling.
It should hit 200mph, but you never know. It has all the power you ever need and with all that torque and 6 or 8 gears, it certainly shouldn't run out of revs.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Hard to say, it really depends on if they put the thought into it. More bulges, scoops, and air ducts that are necessary for these high horsepower monsters can wreak havoc on aerodynamics if the only focus was looks and cooling.
It should hit 200mph, but you never know. It has all the power you ever need and with all that torque and 6 or 8 gears, it certainly shouldn't run out of revs.
They probably thought about it quite a bit. Drag hurs fuel economy as well, while not ths cars focus, it is stll a factor.

I would be willing to go out on a limb and say that this car is not at a statistically significant aerodynamic disadvantage to the 2014 GT5honey. Cd and total area should be pretty close. If it cam anywhere close to 200mph with 662 hp, this car should make it.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If they do it anything like GM, the first gear won't even be touched and they will just throw in more hard accelerating gears, or even gears that arent hardly used like in a 6L90, rather then look to top speed.

Without anything improved suspension wise (none that I have heard at least) I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they threw on a 98 mph speed cap like all the trucks get.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

pretty sure I read some where it has already gone 198
Old 07-03-2014, 05:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Source “Danno” wrote that the Hellcat Challenger hit 202 mph in testing; production cars might not, as changes were made to enhance cooling and durability. With 707 hp, the final word is still on its way
Old 07-03-2014, 05:50 PM
TECH Junkie

The fastest Mopar four-seater ever made was the Dodge Charger Daytona, which broke the 200 mph barrier in 1970, thanks to the hot 426 Hemi V8 and a great deal of time in wind tunnels. Can the new Charger or Challenger meet or beat that time?

Forum member “AutoTechnician” wrote, “The power required to overcome aerodynamic drag increases with the cube of the speed (e.g. 20 mph requires eight times the power as 10 mph to push through the air.) Factor in mechanical losses, rolling resistance, etc... and you're easily well over 600 hp required at the crankshaft to do 200 mph. The 638HP ZR1 can only do 205 mph.” The efficient eight-speed automatic and ZF axle may help SRT by cutting parasitic losses.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
So, put a set of drag radials on it when you are at the track.

At those hp levels, even a 305 street radial is going to have traction issues.

275's will get the job done.

Armen 57 Chevy / Artis Nova wild 275 drag radial PSCA Fontana 9 19 09 Q3 - YouTube

If all people can complain about with this thing is that the rear tires are 1" narrower than "ideal", Dodge/SRT didn't do a bad job.
While I agree that it's a fairly easy fix, it's annoying to say the least. Why not do some 305's or 315's? Surely the car in the video above isn't a 4,300-4,500 lb car on street tires with IRS. I understand what you're getting at, but there's more variables in play.

275's on this thing goes right up on the list of "bad ideas" with the GT500's getting 285 road racing tires, 662hp, and a solid rear axel
Old 07-04-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

I still think the Z is cooler, but i really dig the whole "beat them at their own game in an overweight pig using outdated technology" thing.
With that in mind, I'm curious if even hwy mpg for this thing will get outta the teens...

It certainly has the power to get to 200mph, but I'm curious to see if the brick can push enough air out of the way to get there. Who knows...didn't the '13 GT500 hit the mark? It's no aerodynamic wonder either.
I've read the Challenger has a .36 coefficient and the GT500 has a .38...

One thing is for certain. I want one and I can only imagine doing bad things with it.
I want 2... so I can drive one and let one sit looking pretty.
Old 07-06-2014, 04:56 AM
TECH Junkie

The 13 GT500 hitting 200mph is an absolute joke. They simply did that for marketing claims. I believe it takes around 5+ miles of WOT to accomplish in stock trim.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
The 13 GT500 hitting 200mph is an absolute joke. They simply did that for marketing claims. I believe it takes around 5+ miles of WOT to accomplish in stock trim.
Ehh...from what I remember it was never tested right. All the people testing top speed did so on 90+ degree days at high altitude. It'd still take a couple few miles either way, but so does every single other car with those kind of ratings. It takes the ZR1 about a mile just to go from 200 to 205.
Old 07-06-2014, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

I wouldn't call it a joke based on that... after all, about every other stock vehicle on planet earth never gets close to 200, let alone reaches it.
Old 07-06-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by It'llrun
I wouldn't call it a joke based on that... after all, about every other stock vehicle on planet earth never gets close to 200, let alone reaches it.
It's virtually an unusable feature. Just a number to "impress" people, it doesn't really mean anything.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's virtually an unusable feature. Just a number to "impress" people, it doesn't really mean anything.
Did the car reach 200mph? Yes or no?

Stop hatin'.
Old 07-07-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

If it doesn't mean anything, why has it been such a goal? If it doesn't mean anything, why can't every car ever built do it? If it doesn't mean anything, why are you complaining about it?

C'mon man... it is what it is and it is... IS a really big deal because it's so difficult, not because it's easy. It does impress people... because so few vehicles have ever done it... because it's so difficult.

You can attempt to discount it all you want, but the facts remain and they support every idea that 200mph in any factory stock production vehicle is indeed a very big deal, particularly when offered by a major manufacturer.

Btw, Ford didn't really tell the world the car can break 200mph for marketing claims, RIGHT? Of course they did! Any builder would. They also brag about 662hp... why wouldn't they? That's called advertisement. Did Chevy make the same claim about the ZR1? They sure did and just like with the GT500, it meant plenty! It ain't braggin' though, when it's true. It seems that fewer than 20 production model vehicles in history have been able to go that fast... no big deal? Hardly.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Idk, did it ever do 200mph? I haven't seen it anywhere if it has. I'm not hating, I actually really like these cars. It's just meaningless to me unless the consumer can actually do it. It's a big deal, but much less of a big deal when you can barely ever do it.

As far as I know, nobody has been able to make it go that speed except for the Ford group "coincidentally". Road and Track got 189mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...189-mph-page-2

Motor Trend got 196mph

These were both on extreme courses with looooong straight aways and banked corners. An extremely low percentage of consumers will ever be able to even touch those speeds, let alone 200mph. They dropped the cars gears down to 3.31 gears just to be able to reach that speed on paper-not that anyone can really actually ever do it without extremely ideal conditions. Thus, to me, it's a stat that doesn't matter because the consumer can't really do it. The car is impressive, yes, and I actually really like the car a lot but that claim is only being made by people who have never done and will never do it 99.999999999999% of the time. Maybe somebody has done it and I just haven't heard about it. I honestly don't know.

It's kind of like the old claim "it's so aerodynamic you could drive it upside down on the ceiling in a tunnel." Ok, bold claim, let's see it.

Last edited by MasterTomos; 07-08-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Idk, did it ever do 200mph? I haven't seen it anywhere if it has. I'm not hating, I actually really like these cars. It's just meaningless to me unless the consumer can actually do it. It's a big deal, but much less of a big deal when you can barely ever do it.

As far as I know, nobody has been able to make it go that speed except for the Ford group "coincidentally". Road and Track got 189mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...189-mph-page-2

Motor Trend got 196mph
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 Chases 200 MPH! - Ignition Episode 18 - YouTube

These were both on extreme courses with looooong straight aways and banked corners. An extremely low percentage of consumers will ever be able to even touch those speeds, let alone 200mph. They dropped the cars gears down to 3.31 gears just to be able to reach that speed on paper-not that anyone can really actually ever do it without extremely ideal conditions. Thus, to me, it's a stat that doesn't matter because the consumer can't really do it. The car is impressive, yes, and I actually really like the car a lot but that claim is only being made by people who have never done and will never do it 99.999999999999% of the time. Maybe somebody has done it and I just haven't heard about it. I honestly don't know.

It's kind of like the old claim "it's so aerodynamic you could drive it upside down on the ceiling in a tunnel." Ok, bold claim, let's see it.
The hate is strong with you.

Most people won't even ever go 150 mph, so who gives a crap?
Old 07-08-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Dayum!! Nice to see Dodge dropped their sack on the table to show. It's better for all when the big 3 are in the pony race.

Quick Reply: Dodge Challenger SRT HEMI Hellcat Officially Rated at 707hp