Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

more 6th gen pics.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
I agree with ya. Is there really anyone who believes the next gen Camaro will be around 3400lbs? LOL they need to wake up from their dream. 3500lbs would be the best we could hope for. I call 3600.
I'd think 3650 at a minimum and I'd be HAPPY to see that. I expect more like 3850, just looking at the CTS, which is the chassis I expect GM will use.

Whats wrong with the 5th gen? Heavy, ok. For a 08-09' IRS car, its not that bad; 15' Stang fully loaded is 3900lbs. 10-14' Camaro is like 3850lbs fully loaded.
I think you covered the Mustang weight in the last quote here... but Chevy .com claims the base curb weight of the 2SS is 3935... which just looks bad on paper.

Car is ugly? Its all subjective, but I can tell you that everyday, theres a ton more plp looking at my 5th Gen than my 4th gen.
Which one is out of the garage more?

5th gen is a great car IMO. Concept car on the road, on many automakers did that? And its cheap.
Cheap? Okay... I just don't like the aspect of the outward view... it stopped me from buying, cold.

And they sell like hot cake.

You have the right to hate it though. 5th gen hate has always been strong on this site.
True and true!

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
You guys commenting on the lights keep forgetting that they rarely put production lights on the test mules. Look at the wacky lights the 5th gen test mules had.

Those lights (particularly the tails) scream just making it street legal, purely function only. Basic, round, blah lights shoved in the positions.

And given the official curb weight of the 4th gen being around 3500 pounds anyone wishing for a 3400 pound 6th gen needs their head checked
That's what I said! The weight won't be so low and those HIDEOUS lights won't see... the "LIGHT" of day on a production car!

Originally Posted by whytryz28
I like it so far. Something I'd buy
With those lights? If so, you're just wrapped.

Yeah 3806 and 3814lbs in 2 tests. Point is, for a 08' design, 5th gen is not that heavy. Lets wait till we see some base Mustang weight with no option an 18'' wheels, but even then, my 1SS 1LE weighted 3780lbs stock, sort of a stripper Camaro SS but with 20inch wheels and big brakes.
The 2 weights were probably an identically prepared car, one having more fuel. That's where I would expect to see them though, and they're not light... that's all to it. I don't know why GM stuck with those large wheels... they could've offered 18's and 19's or at least 19's to save weight.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

You are right 'itll run', anything in the 36xx range would be awesome. This number can be achieve IMO, but we will see soon. That would be soo fukin awesome to have a 35xx LT1 Camaro..just WOW!!!
Old 10-02-2014, 11:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 413 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
'98-'02...

No...that's the base curb weight. And a fully-loaded '15 Mustang is closer to 3,800.
Nope
Yeah 3806 and 3814lbs in 2 tests. Point is, for a 08' design, 5th gen is not that heavy. Lets wait till we see some base Mustang weight with no option an 18'' wheels, but even then, my 1SS 1LE weighted 3780lbs stock, sort of a stripper Camaro SS but with 20inch wheels and big brakes.
My buddy's 1 SS weighed 3760 with 3/4 tank of gas.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:29 AM
***Repost Police***

Pay attention Doug, I said "curb weight." As in, what the manufacturer says they weigh. Until car owners take their low-option cars and weigh them, we won't know what the true weight difference is.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

You are right 'itll run', anything in the 36xx range would be awesome. This number can be achieve IMO, but we will see soon. That would be soo fukin awesome to have a 35xx LT1 Camaro..just WOW!!!
It would! At that weight, the Hellcat would be shattered by a ZL1. I don't care one bit about the competition from any brand though... that would be OUTSTANDING!

Here's my triple option view of the upcoming 6th gen chassis: If they actually go with the ATS, that low weight will be a given... granted, the ATS has no V8 option and doesn't need extra strengthened parts to stay together under the added abuses, but it is very light and so... the Camaro could be as well. The problem(in my outlook) is... they won't use that chassis in the end. I really do expect(at this point) they'll be taking 1 of 2 routes... straight up CTS chassis, or a slightly shortened CTS chassis. They have little incentive to use the ATS because... they do look at the competition and that competition isn't so light. More importantly, the CTS will have more room to work with and has a strong possibility of another V8 as well as already being able to handle more power.

Pay attention Doug, I said "curb weight." As in, what the manufacturer says they weigh. Until car owners take their low-option cars and weigh them, we won't know what the true weight difference is.
I don't know why, after all these years... anyone bothers.
Old 10-03-2014, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Nope
Old 10-05-2014, 07:32 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Nope
Please point out one part of my statement that was incorrect. I dare you.
Old 10-05-2014, 08:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The new re - design for 14 ruined the car and this doesn't look any better, it makes me think my next purchase might be a newer 5.0 stang since the camaro is just to fugly.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The new 5.0 is ugly too. Both are. I'll stick with a 2013 or so 5.0 whenever I upgrade to a newer pony car.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by It'llrun
Here's my triple option view of the upcoming 6th gen chassis: If they actually go with the ATS, that low weight will be a given... granted, the ATS has no V8 option and doesn't need extra strengthened parts to stay together under the added abuses, but it is very light and so... the Camaro could be as well. The problem(in my outlook) is... they won't use that chassis in the end. I really do expect(at this point) they'll be taking 1 of 2 routes... straight up CTS chassis, or a slightly shortened CTS chassis. They have little incentive to use the ATS because... they do look at the competition and that competition isn't so light. More importantly, the CTS will have more room to work with and has a strong possibility of another V8 as well as already being able to handle more power.
My apologies, I have been brain dead for several weeks. Currently both ATS and CTS ride on GM's Alpha structure. CTS is just a long wheelbase version, and concurrently a bigger body. There may be an opportunity to come in closer to ATS or somewhere in the middle.
Old 10-06-2014, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
My apologies, I have been brain dead for several weeks. Currently both ATS and CTS ride on GM's Alpha structure. CTS is just a long wheelbase version, and concurrently a bigger body. There may be an opportunity to come in closer to ATS or somewhere in the middle.
That's what I was saying... they could make a "middle" version, but I don't think they will because it doesn't really make monetary sense.

Ultimately, I just think the CTS version will get(or has gotten) the nod. The ATS size is lovely, but ... just don't see it because the car has to be more than small. Even if that's the choice, it will tip the scales heavier than ATS in SS form because that will require upgraded(heavier) parts, specifically to hold the power the ATS doesn't have. The CTS already has that in mind and in the build, so it seems that would be the less expensive option.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Please point out one part of my statement that was incorrect. I dare you.
Nope
Originally Posted by 94LTZ
The new re - design for 14 ruined the car and this doesn't look any better, it makes me think my next purchase might be a newer 5.0 stang since the camaro is just to fugly.
I like the 14 redesign. Car looks much better imo
Old 10-06-2014, 06:05 PM
***Repost Police***

Gotcha. So...you're just wrong, everywhere except your own head.
Old 10-06-2014, 06:07 PM
10 Second Club

Nope
Old 10-06-2014, 06:26 PM
***Repost Police***

Tell me Doug, what's the manufacturer's curb weight for a 1SS 6spd?
Old 10-06-2014, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Nope

BTW.....I already told you actual weight. Actual weight > curb weight.
Old 10-06-2014, 07:00 PM
***Repost Police***

Right. Hence why I said, "Until car owners take their low-option cars and weigh them, we won't know what the true weight difference is." Do you not understand something that simple?
Old 10-06-2014, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by It'llrun
That's what I was saying... they could make a "middle" version, but I don't think they will because it doesn't really make monetary sense. Ultimately, I just think the CTS version will get(or has gotten) the nod. The ATS size is lovely, but ... just don't see it because the car has to be more than small. Even if that's the choice, it will tip the scales heavier than ATS in SS form because that will require upgraded(heavier) parts, specifically to hold the power the ATS doesn't have. The CTS already has that in mind and in the build, so it seems that would be the less expensive option.
Do you think they could take the stronger components from the CTS and install them on the shorter wheelbase ATS to handle the bigger power? It just doesn't make sense to me to build a long wheel base bigger Camaro. IMO, people aren't buying Camaros for practicality at all, why not make it a bit smaller and as light as possible to give it as much edge as you can against the competition? Would seem to me that a 600HP 3600lb Camaro should have no trouble with a 700HP 4500lb Fatcat? Not that I think the next big power Camaro should have numbers that low. Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Old 10-06-2014, 07:43 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Do you think they could take the stronger components from the CTS and install them on the shorter wheelbase ATS to handle the bigger power? It just doesn't make sense to me to build a long wheel base bigger Camaro. IMO, people aren't buying Camaros for practicality at all, why not make it a bit smaller and as light as possible to give it as much edge as you can against the competition? Would seem to me that a 600HP 3600lb Camaro should have no trouble with a 700HP 4500lb Fatcat? Not that I think the next big power Camaro should have numbers that low. Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
Agreed, but on that same note people who are buying the Camaro also aren't buying it for ultimate performance. I'd love it to be smaller/lighter, but I don't know what (if any) impact it would have on sales.
Old 10-06-2014, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
I think they could, but doubt they will. I expect the CTS to outsell the ATS(though it may not) and with that, the chassis gets less expensive. The longer chassis also helps more than just adding leg room... it absorbs some of the abuse by giving it a larger area to spread over. That also tends to help handling characteristics when the power level is high.

Making it lighter, say 3500 lb... makes it compete more closely with the Corvette. GM has shown us that it has no interest in that ever again.

Overall, it just seems more practical to use the longer chassis based on the little info we have and the fact it's been said many times now, the new Camaro will have a 2" longer chassis. Like everything else though, we'll see if that's true.

Btw, I actually think GM could use the ATS and still, with the SS(any V8 really), we'd see at least a 3650 lb car.

Quick Reply: more 6th gen pics.