Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

600+ hp 2017 Ford GT

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 600+ hp 2017 Ford GT

http://jalopnik.com/this-video-tour-...ife-1678965730

I've linked this car in the "leaked" thread, but this link is different and if you scroll down a little, there's a better video.

A few details:

7spd transmission (looks auto, but Idonno)
600+ hp 3.5L TT
Carbon fiber body panels
Carbon fiber brakes... and that's about all I know from the little I've seen.

Update: The trans MUST be an auto... there's a RAM - like "shift" **** in the center console.

Oh, and that steering wheel... WIN!

Last edited by It'llrun; 01-12-2015 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Transmission
Old 01-12-2015, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 170 Likes on 118 Posts

Regardless of performance, from a purely subjective opinion, not having a V8 with that sound, and the option of a full manual is a huge fail. I get the new tech approach and DCT, blah blah blah - I guess as I age, so do the cars I want/will own.

At this point, I would rather have a modded Ford GT from 05-06.
Old 01-12-2015, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NW-99SS
Regardless of performance, from a purely subjective opinion, not having a V8 with that sound, and the option of a full manual is a huge fail. I get the new tech approach and DCT, blah blah blah - I guess as I age, so do the cars I want/will own.
The transmission is a highlight imo, because it's just a great design for applying power to the wheels with quicker, more accurate control. On the other hand, it takes away from the driver... driving. It also makes for a faster car.

I would much prefer a V8 as well and the lack of is why I have trouble seeing this car performing with the top dogs. It may make its way around a road course with anything... but in the most common type of racing, it's not going to be at the top, ever.

As you know, most people just don't want a manual anymore... but look at the GT350 ... manual only. It's strange then, the GT wouldn't have a full manual option.

That stuff aside, I'm fairly certain this car is going to perform very well.

At this point, I would rather have a modded Ford GT from 05-06.
I think I would too, but mostly because it's SURE to be more capable in terms of pure speed, than the new one.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by It'llrun
The transmission is a highlight imo, because it's just a great design for applying power to the wheels with quicker, more accurate control. On the other hand, it takes away from the driver... driving. It also makes for a faster car.

I would much prefer a V8 as well and the lack of is why I have trouble seeing this car performing with the top dogs. It may make its way around a road course with anything... but in the most common type of racing, it's not going to be at the top, ever.

As you know, most people just don't want a manual anymore... but look at the GT350 ... manual only. It's strange then, the GT wouldn't have a full manual option.

That stuff aside, I'm fairly certain this car is going to perform very well.

I think I would too, but mostly because it's SURE to be more capable in terms of pure speed, than the new one.
No arguments here on this. I am just getting, well, old in my taste and preference of cars.

I really thought I would be wanting/trying to buy the rumored mid-engine Vette when it comes out. However, as time moves on, I want a new car less and less, and the classics more and more.

Have to wait and see what the production versions look and perform like. That and as I age, I won't allow myself to lose huge on depreciation. The Ford GT was a good investment, probably the only American one in the last 30 years. That's why I'm leaning to classics, stable values, raw driver feel in every aspect, and I do enjoy the styling better.

Still haven't gotten past wanting the latest fastest toy, but it's starting to wear thin on me. Oh well, lol /rant.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Addict

I agree on the aging thing... don't really want new, yet I bought new in 13... did that because I wanted something I couldn't see getting and stepped down to get cool electronics. I also fully expected the new Mustang, F-150 and so forth and I knew I'd not want to spend for them. Now I almost wish I'd decided to spend more and get a pickup, but ... I am really thinking it over and if I can see the poor economy out of my mind, I'm really liking... the TAHOE! Completely different direction than performance, but usable in so many ways.

Otherwise, I don't really want to buy new either. If I win a lottery or something, I may buy several different cars and trucks.

Have you driven the Z/28? That and the new GT350(aside from the magnetic ride) seem to be right up your alley in terms of how they drive, albeit either is bound to be and feel, too heavy and maybe even bulky for daily use.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

ok im a dumb sumbitch.

600 plus hp and lightweight.

the body is a true exotic just like all the gt40's before it.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I got the biggest boner ever when I saw it. When I found out it was a twin turbo v6 I developed an inny.

It's like taking home the hottest girl at the party and finding out her dick is bigger than yours.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree on the aging thing... don't really want new, yet I bought new in 13... did that because I wanted something I couldn't see getting and stepped down to get cool electronics. I also fully expected the new Mustang, F-150 and so forth and I knew I'd not want to spend for them. Now I almost wish I'd decided to spend more and get a pickup, but ... I am really thinking it over and if I can see the poor economy out of my mind, I'm really liking... the TAHOE! Completely different direction than performance, but usable in so many ways.

Otherwise, I don't really want to buy new either. If I win a lottery or something, I may buy several different cars and trucks.

Have you driven the Z/28? That and the new GT350(aside from the magnetic ride) seem to be right up your alley in terms of how they drive, albeit either is bound to be and feel, too heavy and maybe even bulky for daily use.
I haven't yet, but really hope to. I would give the new Z/28 a good comparison against the GT350. While I am mostly GM, nothing beats the sound of a flat-plane V8.

Agreed thunderstruck! Although it doesn't sound too bad in this video:

Old 01-12-2015, 01:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I haven't yet, but really hope to. I would give the new Z/28 a good comparison against the GT350. While I am mostly GM, nothing beats the sound of a flat-plane V8.

Agreed thunderstruck! Although it doesn't sound too bad in this video:

FIRST LOOK: Ford GT - Walkaround and Startup - NAIAS 2015 - YouTube
gt350R is the z28 competition not the base gt350.

3350ish lbs. race ready stuff that has been 24 hour race tested. gt350 is just another car, 1LE competitor.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by assasinator

3350ish lbs. race ready stuff that has been 24 hour race tested. gt350 is just another car, 1LE competitor.
Yes, correct, unlikely to drive an R though...at least until they are out for awhile.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

No arguments here on this. I am just getting, well, old in my taste and preference of cars.

I really thought I would be wanting/trying to buy the rumored mid-engine Vette when it comes out. However, as time moves on, I want a new car less and less, and the classics more and more.

Have to wait and see what the production versions look and perform like. That and as I age, I won't allow myself to lose huge on depreciation. The Ford GT was a good investment, probably the only American one in the last 30 years. That's why I'm leaning to classics, stable values, raw driver feel in every aspect, and I do enjoy the styling better.

Still haven't gotten past wanting the latest fastest toy, but it's starting to wear thin on me. Oh well, lol /rant.
Good to see I'm not the only one thinking this way.

I am really thinking it over and if I can see the poor economy out of my mind, I'm really liking... the TAHOE! Completely different direction than performance, but usable in so many ways.
You like the new Tahoe? I honestly think the new GM SUVs look terrible, but the improvements to the drivetrain and interior are hard to ignore. They just look so boring on the outside. Escalade taillights are terrible. If I had to pick one, I'd take the Yukon, but from the side, even the Yukon looks terrible. I prefer the GMT900 design over these. Still the best SUVs on the market.

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
I got the biggest boner ever when I saw it. When I found out it was a twin turbo v6 I developed an inny.

It's like taking home the hottest girl at the party and finding out her dick is bigger than yours.
I was disappointed to see EcoBoost V6 over the V8, but Ford seems to be the pack leader when it comes to ditching the V8 engines. Even the Navigator/Expedition can only come with the EcoBoost V6.

Your analogy is perfect though.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Yup, which is certainly why they crammed one in this thing too. It's good marketing if their halo car has a similar engine as every POS commuter on the lot.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

Old 01-12-2015, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have liked to see an Eco-boost V8 as well, but it is the way of the world. Ferrari is ditching V12's for TTV8's in upcoming cars. Thank a tree hugger . As much as I like a good manual transmission, a DCT is expected in this class of car so I am not shocked at all.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:22 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While I'm a little curious about what was changed internally to make this 3.5 so much more capable and what the actual power ceiling of this motor would be, I just cannot and will not get over the fact that it's missing two cylinders. That's just so....wrong. Total boner kill.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
While I'm a little curious about what was changed internally to make this 3.5 so much more capable and what the actual power ceiling of this motor would be, I just cannot and will not get over the fact that it's missing two cylinders. That's just so....wrong. Total boner kill.
First thing I thought was that I don't see this being a player at the Texas Mile. Not enough upside potential.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

sounds good to me!

600+ hp 2017 Ford GT-tyfam6x.jpg
Old 01-12-2015, 03:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sawblade99Z
The articles states it is based on the powerplant for the Chip Ganassi cars participating at Daytona. I wouldn't be shocked if it shares very little with the other Eco-Bosst V6's. Block is possibly it, and that may not even be the case. At the very minimum it would be ported and polished heads, new cams, and a lot more boost.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

ok im a dumb sumbitch.
... as if NOT knowing makes ya dumb... Funny though...

600 plus hp and lightweight.

the body is a true exotic just like all the gt40's before it.
I wanna see it perform... never even heard that it was built for sure till today and we'd EXPECT, these days, to have seen it on he ring.

You're right, but the GT350 does get magnetic ride and a 500+ hp engine, so it should do well itself... just needs ceramic and such, which the R comes with and of course, the R lacks the A/C and more, like the Z/28. It can be ordered for the Z though, right?

Ya think it's really that light? I'd expect 3500.

Originally Posted by Z Fury
You like the new Tahoe? I honestly think the new GM SUVs look terrible, but the improvements to the drivetrain and interior are hard to ignore. They just look so boring on the outside. Escalade taillights are terrible. If I had to pick one, I'd take the Yukon, but from the side, even the Yukon looks terrible. I prefer the GMT900 design over these. Still the best SUVs on the market.
I got up close to 2 of them a couple days go and while I didn't bother driving either, I truly did like the way they look. Both were that pearl white and that probably makes a difference.

I was disappointed to see EcoBoost V6 over the V8, but Ford seems to be the pack leader when it comes to ditching the V8 engines. Even the Navigator/Expedition can only come with the EcoBoost V6.

Your analogy is perfect though.
Too bad it isn't a V8 Ecoboost! That's what I was hoping for... 5.2L ?? Hmmm... 5.8L, 6.2L ?? Ohhhhh... so much better overall. The analogy cracked me up...

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Yup, which is certainly why they crammed one in this thing too. It's good marketing if their halo car has a similar engine as every POS commuter on the lot.

Doesn't mean I have to like it though.

I almost agree... I mean, I can't say I like the V6 over V8 build, but... but... if the thing performs like a high level super car, I'll let that go, not that I'd be in the market for one anyway. I'm sure the thing will be in the "ultra stupid" zone for pricing.

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3
I would have liked to see an Eco-boost V8 as well, but it is the way of the world. Ferrari is ditching V12's for TTV8's in upcoming cars. Thank a tree hugger . As much as I like a good manual transmission, a DCT is expected in this class of car so I am not shocked at all.
NAILED IT! This is what we're seeing and it's too bad, but... power is power and the V6 will be lighter than the V8 it replaced as the Ferrari V8 will surely save weight. Of course, if they drop 4cyl and add two turbos, they won't likely save weight. They will, however, build power more easily.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by txstormtrooper
sounds good to me!
Sounds all turbo and no rumble to me. Hard to judge from just an idle, but having heard other TT V6's, the sound won't get better as the rpm rises. Of course this is purely and subjectively my opinion. Just like I appreciate Vipers but can't get past the exhaust tone. Give me a Lambo V10 though Hell, even the LFA V10 sounds so much better than a Viper. Anyway, getting off topic...
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 PM
On The Tree

This car was built for the 50th anniversary of the brand's 1966 victory at Le Mans with the Ford GT40 Mk II. It will debut next year in the series. This car is built to be in spec (max 4 liters for FI) for that particular series to win. Guys arent winning with standard tranmissions or worrying about what the car sounds like! lol

Last edited by txstormtrooper; 01-12-2015 at 03:52 PM.

Quick Reply: 600+ hp 2017 Ford GT