Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Latest Model Nissan Skyline...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Latest Model Nissan Skyline...

Anyone know where I can find good info about the lates model Skyline? Or does anyone know what it has (hp) to the wheels?
Old 07-09-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Addict

Yea Sure, here:
http://www.infiniti.com/content/0,,c...-12001,00.html
Old 07-12-2004, 08:03 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is it just me, or is that a G35?

Sign me up for a R34 V Spec II
Old 07-12-2004, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Is it just me, or is that a G35?

Sign me up for a R34 V Spec II
The G35 is the Nissan Skyline. The name "Skyline" is like the name "Camaro", not all Camaros are "Camaro SS", some are V6 Camaros. Likewise, nissan has allways sold the Skyline as a 4-door or 2-Door. (The Two-Door is called the "GT"), the Skyline GTR is a Twin Turbo AWD 2-Door, but they have not released the GTR version of the current Skyline. It's planned for a 2007 Release with a 400+ hp motor and AWD on the Coupe.

http://skyline.nissan.co.jp/

In case you're wondering, Infiniti is a United States Brand, The G35 is sold as the Nissan Skyline in most other countries.

-Adam
Old 07-12-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

BTW,
If you're interested in Skyline GT-R news the best place to get it that I've found so far is www.freshalloy.com:
http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

PhotoChop 2007 Skyline GT-R
Old 07-12-2004, 05:39 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

I dont understand though... They are selling a Skyline as a 4 seater 350Z? Do they not call the 350Z a 350Z in Japan?

I know the 350 comes from the 300. I also know the 300 is called the Fairlady Z over there. But still, we called it a 300ZX, and the called it a Fairlady Z... which would make it a Z car in either market.

I know Infinity is a US only market (like Lexus and Acura), but the G35 is simply a 350Z 2+2 (just like the 300ZX had a 2+2 version... yet none of the skylines in that era looked like a 300). So don't they consider the G35 another Z car? I mean, everyone knows it's a stretched 350Z. What are the other differences?

Care to elaborate?
Old 07-12-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Resident

^^

HUH?

Ok ok. It goes like this. The V35 Skyline (Infiniti G35 in North America) moved to Nissans FM platform after they stopped production of the BNR34 cars better known as the R34 Skyline. They did this to save money. Cheaper to build two cars off one platform and interchange parts (Actually a lot more is built off of the FM platform, but that's another story). Anyhow, with the R34, the majority of Skylines were bread and butter 4 door sedans. The car post people in the U.S. think about when they hear Skyline is the 2 door top of the line GT-R of the R32, R33 or R34 generation since they are the most popular amongst the Gran Turismo and TFATF crowd. Nissan stated however that with the demise of the BNR34 based GT-R, the next GT-R would most likely be it's own model and no longer be a trim level of the Skyline. That is, when the 2007-2008 GT-R is introduced it will most likely be called Nissan GT-R and not Nissan Skyline GT-R. In essence it will be its own model altogether even though it rides on the FM platform. Much like the Skyline/G35 and Skyline Coupe/G35 Coupe are their own models but share the FM platform with the 350Z.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:03 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
In essence it will be its own model altogether even though it rides on the FM platform. Much like the Skyline/G35 and Skyline Coupe/G35 Coupe are their own models but share the FM platform with the 350Z.
haha, sorry it was hard to follow my previous post .

I think I get it now though. But why is it the G35 coupe and 350Z look almost identical? Wouldn't you think they'd want to have the Z looking distinctively different from the Skyline/GTR? Also, is the GTR the top of the line Nissan, or is the Z car? or is this like asking where does the Camaro and Corvette stand on the totem poll?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

haha, sorry it was hard to follow my previous post .

I think I get it now though. But why is it the G35 coupe and 350Z look almost identical? Wouldn't you think they'd want to have the Z looking distinctively different from the Skyline/GTR? Also, is the GTR the top of the line Nissan, or is the Z car? or is this like asking where does the Camaro and Corvette stand on the totem poll?
Actually the Silvia (240SX) is the Nissan Camaro, the 300ZX is their Camaro and the GT-R is their....well they like to think of it as their Porsche 911, sort of a step above the 300ZX, but able to carry 4 people and be a "GT".

The G35 looks similar to the 350ZX for two reasons:

1.) Cost, since it's the same platform it doesn't make too much financial sense to make them too different, however they are more dissimilar than say a Camaro and Firebird or Monaro and GTO.

2.) the G35 replaces the Niche and Market of the 300ZX 2+2. Nissan realized there was a Market for the 2+2, but those are the folks more likely to go for a BMW M3 rather than a Corvette. So they gave up some performance to make it more luxurious etc.
Old 07-13-2004, 07:46 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Actually the Silvia (240SX) is the Nissan Camaro, the 300ZX is their Camaro and the GT-R is their....well they like to think of it as their Porsche 911, sort of a step above the 300ZX, but able to carry 4 people and be a "GT".
So then basically the 240 is the f-bod, 300/350 is the Vette, and the GTR is more like a Z06?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am really liking what Nissan is doing, so I'm trying to learn what I can.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

So then basically the 240 is the f-bod, 300/350 is the Vette, and the GTR is more like a Z06?

Sorry for the stupid questions. I am really liking what Nissan is doing, so I'm trying to learn what I can.
Woops, I reread my post and typed camaro twice....doh.

Sort of only the 300ZX is more for the "sport car purist" that is looking for a RWD 2-seater. The GT-R is more of the Techno-Lust Ultimate GT. Think of it like the difference between a Vette owner and an M3 owner. The M3 owners tend to be more Technology for Technology's sake, the Vette owners tend to be more "I want a pure sports car forget the AWD crap!". It just so happens that the GT-R generates bigger badder numbers than the Z, but then again it costs more too. I've allways loved the Skyline and would own one today if they made an affordable Left-Hand Drive US car. I think it's a shame though that they're moving away from the Inline 6 and down to the V6 in the next gen skyline. If the Current G35/Skyline had the ***** of a GT-R there would be one in my driveway right now. Hmmmm... I wonder if an LS2 would fit in a G35......hmmm........

-Adam
Old 07-14-2004, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the g35 and 350z are damn near the same car.

Z cars were never the same as a Skyline not even RWD ones.

the gtr is gonna be a AWD g35? ouch.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Excal
the g35 and 350z are damn near the same car.

Z cars were never the same as a Skyline not even RWD ones.

the gtr is gonna be a AWD g35? ouch.
Nissan has had some financial difficulty in the last few years so it made $ense for them to consolidate platforms. The new GT-R will likely share little if any resemblence with the 350Z. Remember too that the new 2005 Mustang is built on the same platform as the Jaguar S-Type. That gives you an idea of how much flexibility manufacturuers have with a single platform these days.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW this IS the next gen Nissan GT-R being tested by lotus desguised as a G35 coupe.

Quick Reply: Latest Model Nissan Skyline...