Old 10-27-2004, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS Convertible

From Autoweek
Cadillac's CTS continues upward swing; stream of variants help boost sales

K.C. CRAIN | Automotive News
Posted Date: 10/27/04
DETROIT -- Cadillac plans to sell 50,000 units of the CTS in 2004, making it the best year in the model's three-year history.

Since its debut in 2002, Cadillac has increased CTS sales by limiting initial supply and adding variants. It will continue the strategy with a convertible in the next generation, due in 2007, a company source says.

Dealers say the changes helped keep the CTS fresh.

"Incremental improvements to the product and having something fresh to offer is extremely important," says GM National Dealer Council member Jacques Moore of Moore Cadillac in Richmond, Va.

The 2003 CTS was powered by a 3.2-liter V6. For the 2004 model year, Cadillac introduced a more powerful 3.6-liter V6 and bumped up sales. In 2003, 49,392 CTS units were sold versus 37,976 in 2002.

This year Cadillac introduced the CTS V-series performance variant with a 5.7-liter, 400-hp V8. Total CTS sales reached 43,064 for the first nine months of the year.

According to John Howell, Cadillac product director, the key is to offer a wide range of products.

Because the CTS launched Cadillac's angular styling theme, getting more cars on the road stirred consumer interest, as well.

"The story with the CTS has been basic awareness more than anything else," says Howell. "The more cars we can get on the streets, the better."

Jay Spenchian, Cadillac marketing director, says the plan was to keep some demand unfilled in the first and second years.

"Keeping the CTS in short supply allowed Cadillac to build on the momentum," he says.

Since the CTS' debut, Cadillac has been making small changes both visually and to its performance to keep the car fresh. This year's version has a new instrument cluster.

Last year's model added a styling tweak from the V-series, changing the license plate mounting area from gray to body color.

Cadillac plans on selling about 5,000 V-series units, Howell says.

"The V-series gives some panache or a reason to talk about the car," he says. "Special variants open up different avenues to communicate to customers."

Ed Williamson of Williamson Cadillac in Miami says: "It's all about incremental business. The guy that buys the V-series isn't going to buy a base CTS."

Different price points help get people in the door, he says: "You get some people that react to a lower price point, then they look at the product and decide to step up.
Old 10-28-2004, 04:53 PM
TECH Veteran

I suppose this is good news, but to continue upward momentum it has to be a better car.

I think it was a big mistake not to release the CTS in both two and four doors. Can you picture a CTS coupe? With an optional Northstar V8 and standard transmission? How dope would that have been?

I pray they design an elegant and high quality interior on the next model, and don't soften it's styling too much like they did the STS. The interior is abominable compared to the European competition, and poisoned the experience of the CTS and CTS-V for me.

The STS is also too bland looking. Somehow, they manged to make it look like a smaller Deville with RWD. It's horrid, and the inside is marginally better than the CTS, and nowhere near the design or quality of the competition. When redesign time comes around, the CTS needs to continue to be unique and cutting edge, that's what makes brands now. It's not about being "approachable", it's about being bold and unique.
Old 10-29-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
I suppose this is good news, but to continue upward momentum it has to be a better car.

I think it was a big mistake not to release the CTS in both two and four doors. Can you picture a CTS coupe? With an optional Northstar V8 and standard transmission? How dope would that have been?

I pray they design an elegant and high quality interior on the next model, and don't soften it's styling too much like they did the STS. The interior is abominable compared to the European competition, and poisoned the experience of the CTS and CTS-V for me.

The STS is also too bland looking. Somehow, they manged to make it look like a smaller Deville with RWD. It's horrid, and the inside is marginally better than the CTS, and nowhere near the design or quality of the competition. When redesign time comes around, the CTS needs to continue to be unique and cutting edge, that's what makes brands now. It's not about being "approachable", it's about being bold and unique.
I was very impressed with the CTS-V, moreso than the GTO that it is so often compared to. The ride was soft yet fun, practical when it needs to be yet still sporty when you want it to be. However, the reason I bought the M3 over the CTS-V was

#1 The interior design still used sub-par swichgear and design.
#2 I don't *need* the extra room and practicality.
#3 These things are depreciating like bricks. you can allready buy a Sub 10K mile used 2004 for $38,000 now!
#4 I stil prefer the M3 Styling and handling. (thought I prefer the CTS-V Power and acceleration).

Anyhow, Cadillac has made a fantastic car, but in order for me to buy one above a Mercedes or BMW they have to be better in every category. If they're "just as good" then I'll get the German car and have better resale and higher buyer confidence. The car has to be significanlty better in all categories.

-Adam
Old 10-29-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Remeber this is GMs first real shot at a German fighter. Im sure in 2 or 3 years they will offer a much better car.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
I was very impressed with the CTS-V, moreso than the GTO that it is so often compared to.
For the substantial price difference, it should be "better" than a GTO. But I'd rather pocket all that extra money and have a new LS2 GTO over a CTS-V.
Old 10-31-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

For the substantial price difference, it should be "better" than a GTO. But I'd rather pocket all that extra money and have a new LS2 GTO over a CTS-V.
Personally I think you can take motor off the table and the CTS-V is still a much better car for the money. I truely enjoy the GTO and think it's good competition for a BMW E46 330Ci, however the CTS-V is more competitive against the BMW e39 M5. It really shows in their driving characteristics as well. The CTS-V feels more composed, has better feedback and more of a performance focus. I think the two factors that contribute to that are that the GTO rides on an older Chassis (the same one that underpinned the Catera that the CTS replaced) and secondly the GTO isn't really tuned for sporty corner carving (though compared to an F-Body it does that well). No Doubt if GM did to the GTO what they did the CTS with stiffer suspension, performance rubber and brakes the GTO will come closer to an M3 in terms of personality, but quite frankly it's more Grand Touring than Grand Sport in it's current configuration.

The 2005 LS2 GTO will no doubt be faster in a straight line than the V, but the V will still have a more upscale interior, better suspension, more modern chassis, significantly more options, more room and utility and a Cadillac customer service department instead of a Pontiac customer service department. To me that is worth $15K. To others it's not. That's cool too.

-Adam
Old 11-01-2004, 05:14 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unless your buddy owns a Pontiac Dealership
LS2 GTO all over the CTSV
Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
more upscale interior
The interior in the CTS-V is a complete joke, it virtually ruined the experience in the car and it's inexcusable for the sticker price.

It's horrible to look at, it's entirely plastic (even the door handles), and some of the same materials are shared with the Pontiac Grand Prix. It's ridiculous, the GTO shames it aesthetics and quality. So does the new Corvette.

The icing on the cake (besides the wheel hop) is that it's really not that fast either, Jaguar S-Types, GTOs, and 2005 Mustangs will be giving it trouble on the streets.
Old 11-01-2004, 08:33 PM
TECH Addict

The interior in the CTS-V is a complete joke, it virtually ruined the experience in the car and it's inexcusable for the sticker price.

It's horrible to look at, it's entirely plastic (even the door handles), and some of the same materials are shared with the Pontiac Grand Prix. It's ridiculous, the GTO shames it aesthetics and quality. So does the new Corvette.
I agree that the C6 has a higher quality interior than the CTS-V, and the CTS-V does lag the Audi, Merc and BMW in terms of interior materials, but the GTO uses far cheaper materials. From Photographs the GTO looks good, but closer inspection the plastics are thinner and flimsy and the cost difference seams readily apprent to me. The GTO is a good car, but IMOHO it's farther off the A4, 330Ci and G35 than the CTS-V is off the M3, S4 and C55.

But I guess that's subjective, and to each their own.

My impression is the GTO is more upscale than the Trans Am. The CTS-V is more downscale than the C55 or M3.
The icing on the cake (besides the wheel hop) is that it's really not that fast either, Jaguar S-Types, GTOs, and 2005 Mustangs will be giving it trouble on the streets.
I hardly think the CTS-V's times are shameful. As a matter of fact, 13.2@109 is substantually better than anything you listed and puts it on par with a C5.

Besides I've driven a GTO and a CTS-V back to back (and fairly hard too) and the GTO is way more layed back, doesn't feel nearly as powerful and trails in handling feedback.

FWIW I have a good amount of seat time in the e39 M5 (about 2,000 miles or so). The CTS-V is the M5's equal, the GTO is the 330ci's Superior (but not close to either the M3 or M5).

-Adam

Quick Reply: CTS Convertible