TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2007 Skyline GT-R

GT-R Mule Caught in testing.

-Adam
Old 11-05-2004, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW The current rumors for this car are All Wheel Drive with a "CVT" Style transmission (Manual optional) and a twin turbo V6 making 450 HP.

-Adam
Old 11-05-2004, 09:45 PM
TECH Addict

Not much has changed since October of last year

Snooper scoopers
By Chris Harris of the sunday times

There is someone who lives in Norfolk — identity unknown — who spends his days lurking in bushes near the Lotus HQ, taking photographs of cars. Not just any old cars, but pre-production models shrouded in secrecy and previously unseen by the outside world. Then he goes home, downloads the digital images, picks up the phone and calls the editor of one of the car magazines. A fee is agreed and a deal is done, and this is how he makes his living.
Known in the industry as “scoop photographers”, people such as this are the motoring world’s version of the paparazzi, constantly on the hunt for new car designs still in the development and testing phase. Depending on the quality of the shot and on the amount of interest in the car, they can get paid between £90 and £1,000 per photograph.

Two months ago the unknown Norfolk photographer caused something of a stir in the motoring world when he captured images of the new Nissan Skyline and sold them to Autocar magazine. Not only was this the first ever sighting of the new car, it also exposed the fact that much of Lotus’s work is for other, much larger manufacturers who’d rather the world didn’t know they need help.

Read the rest of this article here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,588-840530,00.html
Old 11-05-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Ahh I love Google.....

more info....
Edmunds

What Edmunds.com Says: It may end up wearing an Infiniti badge, but this next generation Skyline should have all the attitude of its Nissan cousins.

What We Know: After years of rumors and intense lobbying by Nissan enthusiasts in the U.S., Nissan chief Carlos Ghosn announced that his company plans to release a fully redesigned version of the legendary Skyline GT-R by 2007. The new version will take its cues from the GT-R concept car that has made the rounds at various auto shows over the past several years, and unlike its predecessor the GT-R will make its way to the U.S. With the 350Z already occupying a steady spot in Nissan's lineup, look for the GT-R to come Stateside wearing an Infiniti badge. A prototype caught testing on Germany's grueling Nurburgring test track made the rounds wearing the shell of a current G35, but obvious signs of serious modifications indicate it was no ordinary Infiniti. The car is expected to debut at the Tokyo Motor Show in the fall of 2007 and go on sale later that year.

Best Car Magazine October 2004 Issue Analysis

Yes, it's a lefthand drive "Infinity"... LHD in Germany remember!
A German photographer snapped these pics recently, remarking on how quickly the car was travelling around that part of the 'ring. A professional driver from Japan has been flown to Germany to carry out "overall" testing with emphasis on aerodynamics appraisal.

The test at Nurburgring wasn't about parts testing, but overall performance and handling, suggesting that the GT-R has entered the middle phase of development where engineers concentrate on the entire package rather than just seperate parts. The front bumper seen in the pic above isn't the final design!!! It's a just a quick bumper thats been made so the car has some kind decent airflow characteristics without any attention to styling.

The rear wing on the other hand does give a big hint as to what the final one will look like. The reporter from Best Car was suprised that the rear wing is just your generic late model FD3S RX-7 type wing with beefed up end plates. The wide fenders will make the GT-R 100mm wider than the current V35 Skyline Coupe, making it the same width as the current Porsche turbo. Some effort has been put forward to make the fenders blend in as a component of the complete aerodynamics package, one that will become one of the strongest merits of the car.

Best Car couldn't report on much about the engine this time around, but were quick to point out that a "number" of different engine capacities are being tested, 3.2, 3.3, 3.5 and possibly a 4.0 (a la the V36 VQ41DE) but still retaining the electric spool-up twin turbo configuration. Also note the two air opening under each headlight on the pics above, they aparently feed each turbo, with a highly efficient intercooler design making use of the third opening. Power is still being set at about 460ps.

Just a final note, the engine is the ultimate "saving grace" for this V-series GT-R, and as far as Best Car can see, Nissan WILL NOT dissapoint in this area... so guys, sit back, don't write off the next GT-R just yet (although I almost did!)

Thanks goes to Krnsx, SkylineGTR_guy, & Rezz @ SkylineAustralia.com
Old 11-06-2004, 09:32 PM
TECH Junkie

The R34 is one of the sexiest cars to ever roll. Id really like to see this skyline in real life.
Old 11-06-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

just as ugly as the early models..
Old 11-06-2004, 11:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1QWIKZ
just as ugly as the early models..

ugly?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoldenVelvet

ugly?
yup, thanks for confirming it.
Old 11-07-2004, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

To each their own, but I think the Skyline R34 is the Hotness.

And AWD, 4-Wheel Steering, Stock Brembo Brakes, Twin Turbos, C5 Performance with 4-Seats... Man, how can you not love this car?

-Adam
Old 11-07-2004, 10:20 AM
TECH Junkie

^ damn, that one looks good! i like it better than the 07
Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love the G35 already, this is icing on the cake. FWIW, the blue r34 sown earlier is the ****, that's fact not opinion.

I don't like the sound of a cvt, I'm glad it's just a option.

Any speculation on price?
Old 11-08-2004, 08:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, that '07 version is ******* retarded.

I'd take the R34 any day though!
Old 11-08-2004, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think everyone that thinks it is cool is on something. I think that look like a 350z, Damn I hate imports even if it is a skyline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-08-2004, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 98 T/A raptor
I think everyone that thinks it is cool is on something. I think that look like a 350z, Damn I hate imports even if it is a skyline!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It looks like a 350z because IT IS ONE... essentially... The R34 is pretty sexy, but im not liking the idea of making the new one using the G35 coupe body...

In japan, they already call our 350z the skyline, correct?
Old 11-08-2004, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MillaTK
It looks like a 350z because IT IS ONE... essentially... The R34 is pretty sexy, but im not liking the idea of making the new one using the G35 coupe body...

In japan, they already call our 350z the skyline, correct?
No. It goes like this

350Z = Fairlady Z
G35 Sedan = Skyline
G35 Coupe = Skyline Coupe

And in case you haven't noticed, the R34 GT-R is just a beefed up (albeit VERY beefed up) Skyline which was nothing more than a bread and butter sedan like the G35/V35 Skyline is now so it makes sense that the V35 GT-R would resemble the current run in the mill Skyline.
Old 11-08-2004, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

FWIW there are many trims of Skylines over the years. As posted above the Infiniti G35 IS A "SKYLINE" IN JAPAN.
http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SKYLINE/top.html

Think of it like this. The Skyline GT-R is to the Skyline what a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP is to the Grand Prix. The Skyline is and has allways been, available as a 2 or 4 door, RWD or AWD 6 cylinder or 4 cylinder car. FWIW You can even order a 4-Door AWD Turbo Skyline in Japan (last generation) and Actually Tomihara who is a Japanese "Lingenfelter" already has a street tire 4-Door Skyline in the 9's.... gotta love the AWD!

Anyhow, the "trim" that everyone is waiting on is the GT-R. The Current Infiniti G35 Coupe is only considered a "Skyline GT". The GTS would be a Turbo RWD and the GT-R would be the Turbo AWD. The GT-R V-Spec would be a GT-R with Recaros, Brembos, etc. And the "GT-R V-Spec Nur" would be their version of a Porsche GT2.

Anyhow, really confusing I know. Now keep in mind too that the GT-R is allways styled a bit upscale from the base skyline as well and the test mule from the other page is styled with the low-end styling, so I'm sure the production GT-R will look much better.

Case in point, here is the last generation Skyline GT-R R34

Skyline GT-X (Turbo AWD Sedan)

Or a smaller pic
Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Coupe

Skyline GT Sedan

Make Sense?

So this car: (R34)

Was replaced by this car (G35)

And this car (Skyline Coupe GT R34)

Was replaced by this car (G35/Skyline GT/Coupe)

So this big Question is what will replace this car: (The R34 Skyline GT-R)
Old 11-08-2004, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

BTW, this is the Japanese Version of the Corvette Z06

R33 Skyline GT-R 400R

-Adam
Old 11-09-2004, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

A small correction. The 4 door R34 GT-X you posted a pic of and quoted as being turbocharged is IIRC incorrect. IIRC the R34 25GT-X does in fact have AWD but I believe it packed the naturally aspirated RB25DE. The only R34s to leave the factory with turbochargers were the RWD RB25DET powered 25GT-t and the uber bad *** AWD RB26DETT powered GT-R.

Quick Reply: 2007 Skyline GT-R