Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Anyone see the TPI manifold test in Rod magazine

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone see the TPI manifold test in Rod magazine

I was browsing through some magazines at the store one day about a month ago, saw this ultra thorough test of all the available TPI manifolds for SBC's. Suprisingly, some of them came pretty close to LS1 #'s for HP and Tq. I can't find a copy of the mag now, but I thought it was a street rodder or Rod & Custom or something like that.

Anyone else see it ?
Old 03-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TRex
I was browsing through some magazines at the store one day about a month ago, saw this ultra thorough test of all the available TPI manifolds for SBC's. Suprisingly, some of them came pretty close to LS1 #'s for HP and Tq. I can't find a copy of the mag now, but I thought it was a street rodder or Rod & Custom or something like that.

Anyone else see it ?
Holley Stealthram is an awesome example... 60hp over TPI manifolds if I recall. (in some cases, near stock engines too) The mini-rams are real good too...(f'n pricey though)
Old 03-16-2005, 05:36 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How does the Super Ram compare to those newer manifolds nowadays?
Old 03-16-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some of them were putting down pretty impressive numbers, 500+ at the flywheel with a mild cam, one of them was over 100hp more than the stock manifold. I've been searching high and low for the issue and can't find it, should have bought it when I had the chance.
Old 03-18-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was going to build a ZZ450 (One like it not the real thing) with a mini-ram for my Iroc until I got the LS1 bug. But yes some of the TPI replacment intakes did make BIG improvments over stock. Dont forget about the T-ram!
Old 03-18-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YsoFast
I was going to build a ZZ450 (One like it not the real thing) with a mini-ram for my Iroc until I got the LS1 bug. But yes some of the TPI replacment intakes did make BIG improvments over stock. Dont forget about the T-ram!
the T-Ram was discontinued a long time ago. God help you if you have a 4th gen Firehawk in need of a side tank.

FWIW though I had an article (circa 1990) that did a head to head comparo of 20 different set ups. The final three winners where

#1 Arizona Speed and Marine (looked like a stock L98 intake)
#2 TPiS Mini-Ram (looked like an LT1 intake)
#3 Accel Super Ram.

In an unrelated test a T-ram blew away the Mini-Ram and Accel, so it's a shame it was discontinued.

The stock GM L98 intake sucked, and by the time you ported the plenum, got a bigger throttle body, bigger runners and bigger lower manifold, not only did you realize you just dumped $1500 on an intake, you also realize you're still not making as much power as a stock LS1.

Loved my L98, but it pales compared to the LS1....twas torquey as hell though.

Quick Reply: Anyone see the TPI manifold test in Rod magazine