Old 04-25-2005, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two More Bahn Stormers: '06 Audi S6 & MB CLS65 AMG

S6:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8506.html

CLS65:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/Enth...178.A8507.html

I guess Audi was right, over time the ginormous grille has definitely grown on me. I didn't think it would work on anything except the Nuvolari concept, but I have officially come to like it on the 6, 8 and now the 4. Anyhoo the next S6 looks to be a stormer. 440hp V8 from 5.2L of displacement. Now THIS is the motor I wish the B6 RS4 got. I'm anxious to see torque figures as Audi stated a year or two ago and as evidenced with the B6 RS4 that it will be ditching turbocharging in favor of revs. Sad IMHO as the whoosh neck snapping personalities of the original RS2 and RS4 and to some extent the RS6 are said to be lacking in the latest RS4 sedan and avant. Still, this RS6 looks great and I'm sure the 5.2L V8 will be a crowd pleaser. While I still wish Audi would bolt a true stick and clutch manual transmission into the 6 with something other than 3.2L FSI V6 (BTW the 6 speed manual is only available in Europe anyway ) I understand that this segment of the market prefers SMs or torque converter automatics with some manual control so the 6 speed tiptronic and 7 speed DSG make sense. As for the rumored 550hp 5.5L FSI V10 that will supposedly arrive in '08. Well I'm guessing that will be the next RS6 and the 440hp 5.2L V8 powered S6 will soldier on as the "lesser" model. This rumor of the 5.5L V10 may also be an indication that VW will up the ante with the Gallardo's powerplant to better compete with Ferrari and its recently released F430.

As for the CLS65, just another Benz with another monstrous powerplant. I hear this is the last AMG to get the 6.0L Bi-Turbo V12 for now as supposedly the rumored naturally aspirated 6.3L V8 will supplant both the current blown 5.4L V8 and the bi-turbo 6.0L V12 for a few years. Plans then supposedly call for an even MORE bad *** V12 to top THAT V8 within a couple years. Insane I tell you.
Old 04-25-2005, 02:10 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like the CLS. The first time I saw that, I was like WTF is that thing??? I had to call my buddy up who works at the local MB dealer and get the scoop about this "4 door coupe"... interesting.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Audi's new grille has grown on me as well.

The S6 looks pimp and I love the V8 they are using.

As to Mercedes, 600 HP
Old 04-25-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

The Audi's are amazing cars considering the company was almost crushed back in the day. They really turned things into gold. The only thing I don't like about the Audi's is how heavy they are. It hurts acceleration too much.

I don't have words to describe the Mercedes...is that the same powerplant that's in the SL-65? 700+ ft/lbs of torque.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:47 PM
12 Second Club

Some of the new models Audi is coming out with are top notch. I say that without bias as I work for Audi. The RS4 will be coming over and should do well, though for some reason they seem to think we Americans should get Avants instead of Sedans. Finally, they agreed to bring the Sedans over. The new FSI motors feel much more peppy than there predecessors, but from what I hear, we get a somewhat detuned version of the European models. One of the cars I am personally excited about is the new TT. I know, a TT. But the new 3.2 (insert VW R32 motor) with the 6 speed DSG should be a very sporty package and with only 18 degrees seperating the heads, I imagine there will be some room to maybe throw a turbo in there. I do agree with the previous poster that I prefer the turbo motors over the high revvers. They are more tuneable to achieve more power than stock. Believe me, when you see under the hood of an S4 with the 4.2 you can't stick your pinky finger in the engine compartment.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
Some of the new models Audi is coming out with are top notch. I say that without bias as I work for Audi. The RS4 will be coming over and should do well, though for some reason they seem to think we Americans should get Avants instead of Sedans. Finally, they agreed to bring the Sedans over. The new FSI motors feel much more peppy than there predecessors, but from what I hear, we get a somewhat detuned version of the European models. One of the cars I am personally excited about is the new TT. I know, a TT. But the new 3.2 (insert VW R32 motor) with the 6 speed DSG should be a very sporty package and with only 18 degrees seperating the heads, I imagine there will be some room to maybe throw a turbo in there. I do agree with the previous poster that I prefer the turbo motors over the high revvers. They are more tuneable to achieve more power than stock. Believe me, when you see under the hood of an S4 with the 4.2 you can't stick your pinky finger in the engine compartment.
Eh? The RS6 was only sold in America as a sedan, we never got the RS6 Avant here in the states, nor did we get the RS6 Plus (which was only sold as an Avant in Europe).

As for the 3.2L FSI being detuned, it probably has to do with DIN vs. SAE hp ratings. I haven't heard of a difference in specs between Euro and NA 3.2L FSI V6s. And the 3.2L TT DSG is already on the streets. It was introduced last year. The only drawback is that in the states we can only get it with a DSG, in Europe the TT 3.2 is available with a traditional stick and clutch 6 speed manual. Damn the lucky Europeans. They also get a stick option with the A6 3.2L and IIRC the A4 3.2L as well (the updated A4 3.2L is only available with a 6 speed tiptronic in the states, only the 2.0T is available with a manual )
Old 04-30-2005, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

stratified fuel injection isn't the same in the usa due to sulphur content in gasoline. You get the same hp, but the europeans get the 10% more mpg on top of the usa versions since they've banned sulphur gas for a while.
Old 04-30-2005, 10:25 PM
12 Second Club

I think the mercedes is AWSOME, and about the audi, its got great potential but i'm not the biggest fan of em still...o well.

Quick Reply: Two More Bahn Stormers: '06 Audi S6 & MB CLS65 AMG