Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM downgraded to junk bond status

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005 | 10:40 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by BlackTA
I doubt they will dump saturn, thats one of their better selling branches.

I'ts one of their moderately selling branches. They also do not make much margin on those cars. It's a love/hate relationship as far as ownership. Either you love them or you hate them and it's a division that is saddled with the aforementioned customer goodwill problem.
Old 05-07-2005 | 01:54 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

GMAC makes a lot of money for GM.

But GMAC's cost of capital has of course gone up as the credit rating gone down.

I've read that GM offeres 61 different vehicles. That is a lot.

I expect that might be forced to sell off some businesses and we might see some changes at the board level.

Remember, companies like BMW or Honda only sell like 10 different offerings each. You can do 10 things well, but maybe not do 50 things as well if the businesses don't have enough money for r&d and indepedence to make timely decisions. I had heard over and over that GM insiders had fought like crazy for resources for the f-body, and had barely any.

Buying GM stock might be interesting as long as they don't go into bankruptcy.
Old 05-07-2005 | 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good point Pro Stock John... do 10 things well, or do 61 things marginally...
Old 05-07-2005 | 04:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
GMAC makes a lot of money for GM.

But GMAC's cost of capital has of course gone up as the credit rating gone down.

I've read that GM offeres 61 different vehicles. That is a lot.

I expect that might be forced to sell off some businesses and we might see some changes at the board level.

Remember, companies like BMW or Honda only sell like 10 different offerings each. You can do 10 things well, but maybe not do 50 things as well if the businesses don't have enough money for r&d and indepedence to make timely decisions. I had heard over and over that GM insiders had fought like crazy for resources for the f-body, and had barely any.

Buying GM stock might be interesting as long as they don't go into bankruptcy.
i thought gm already changes some things in the us branch? also good point. but hey, good news for us, ford is in the same boat lol.
Old 05-09-2005 | 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Ford is kicking *** with the new Mustang
...and they got downgraded too.

Niche cars like the Mustang and GTO don't save automakers when they do well, it's the bread-and-butter mainstream offerings that have to succeed like the Five Hundred and Impala.
Old 05-09-2005 | 03:40 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by TriShield

Niche cars like the Mustang and GTO don't save automakers when they do well, it's the bread-and-butter mainstream offerings that have to succeed like the Five Hundred and Impala.

valla (sp?) the dodge minivan and the k-car.
Old 05-09-2005 | 03:45 PM

500 = "Edsel 2005"

Bu-fugly and just screams "I'm an old fart".
Old 05-09-2005 | 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TriShield

Then both of them better get their **** together ASAP.
Old 05-09-2005 | 08:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Remember, companies like BMW or Honda only sell like 10 different offerings each. You can do 10 things well, but maybe not do 50 things as well if the businesses don't have enough money for r&d and indepedence to make timely decisions.
yeah they have like 60 models, but really only like 35 different models. they compete with themselves too much.
Old 05-09-2005 | 10:29 PM
TECH Regular

The only domestic company that is doing moderately well (and I use the term domestic because of their Mercedes ties) is Dodge. Suprisingly they are about the only domestic automaker that has some fresh/appealing designs. Reducing product offerings and eventually reducing reliance of trucks/suv's as bread and butter vehicles will eventually help the domestic automaker(have they noticed the price of gas lately-makes you think twice about backing the Yukon out of the garage). If they can get back to making car products that are interesting and have the right features/price quotient I think would be a step in the right direction. Why is it that we are seeing Toyota, Kia and other foreign makers gaining a better share of the car market ? Is it because they perfected their car brands and now are starting to focus on the hallowed truck market which used to be the exclusive domain of the domestic maker? Should be interesting to see how the next few years shake out for the domestics once the foreign carmaker starts perfecting and eventually dominating the truck market. Will they then turn back to cars ? I hope they get their butts in gear well before then....
P.S. I'm in the automotive field so I study all the angles and definitely have a vested interest in what the future holds for the domestic carmaker !!
Old 05-10-2005 | 12:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 95zpro
The only domestic company that is doing moderately well (and I use the term domestic because of their Mercedes ties) is Dodge.
You mean Chrysler. Their hottest cars are all American, in fact the German side of the company is badly floundering and keeping DCX stock down. If Mercedes gets sorted out and Chrysler keeps turning out hits, DCX will be a global automotive force.
Old 06-05-2005 | 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mike K.
yes!!!! That is what is wrong GM cars really are ugly so nobody wants them, why didn't the camaro and trans am sell that well?? because they don't look as good as the stangs and the majority of people don't function as "function type" of people but rather as "form type"

If they would just start making some cool cars they would sell again.
*********OFF TOPIC**************

Totally agree with the ugly thing with the exception of the Camaro and T/A styling. Judging by statements made...sounds like you need to make yourself a hybrid car(Stang w/LSx). At any rate, I had to respond to the looks part. I know that was only your opinion but I have to say something. I think most people will agree that it wasn't the styling of the F-bodies that killed them it was the marketing strategies(or lack thereof), and they targeted the wrong consumer demographic with the price. I think the cars are a little more appealing to a younger crowd and they priced it way out of most younger folks grasps.

**************BACK ON TOPIC**************

Wouldn't this make it an opportune time to invest in GM then? Seems to me that they are a company that is currently failing but I don't see them going completely out of the picture...if anything they might just be setting themselves up for a serious rebound? Of course that being that someone(s) helps them to realize the erorr of their ways.

Justin

Quick Reply: GM downgraded to junk bond status