Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

AMG 6.3L V8 World's Most Powerful Naturally Aspirated V8

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AMG 6.3L V8 World's Most Powerful Naturally Aspirated V8

http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/050714-1.htm

Despite the moniker the engine actually displaces 6208cc. This sucker weighs 41kgs less than BMWs S85 5.0L V10 at 199kgs vs. 240kgs for the Bimmer motor. It also packs a higher peak torque rating at lower rpms of 465 lbft at 5200 rpm versus BMW's 383 lbft at 6100 rpm. Its peak torque rating is still less than that of the previous blown 5.4L V8 which packed a stump pulling 516 lbft but it bests the baddest of the naturally aspirated AMG 5.4L V8s which put out a maximum of 376 lbft in its most powerful iteration. In any case the new AMG flagship motor is one bad *** piece of machinery. Rest assured that this mother will tear the 5.0L V10 derived 400hp 4.0L V8 that will debut in the M3 and the 414hp 4.2L FSI V8 in the RS4 into pieces
Old 07-23-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Resident

Very similar #'s to the LS7. Not sure I'd claim it to be the most powerful, at least for all time, as my dad's '67 L88 put out about 560hp stock, but maybe for currently produced engines. It'll be good to see how the car performs with it, especially compared to the new Z06.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Launching!

I just saw one of those things on the road just the other day. I tell you what........those things are FAST as S***!
Old 07-26-2005, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

According to my conversion widget... 375KW is 502.88328HP, while 510hp is 380.30693KW They need to pick a number and stick with it.

82ft-lbs more in the AMG vs. the Bimmer... interesting.
Old 07-26-2005, 03:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Leave it to the Canadians to omit a key element in the headline - "World's Most Powerful Production Engine" is how it ought to read.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Leave it to the Canadians to omit a key element in the headline - "World's Most Powerful Production Engine" is how it ought to read.
I would think most car enthusiasts of at least moderate intelligence would be able to figure that one out.
Old 07-27-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
I would think most car enthusiasts of at least moderate intelligence would be able to figure that one out.
Oh, it all makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 07-27-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
Oh, it all makes sense now. Thanks for the clarification.
Mercedes doesn't acknowledge that they are referring to peak hp numbers when they declare this new motor "most powerful naturally aspirated 8 cylinder engine" but somehow I'm quite sure you were able to figure that one out on your own seeing as how the LS7 has a higher torque rating and Ferrari's 4.3L V8 puts out more hp per liter. Plus I'm sure there have been limited production specials built by the big 3 during the 60s that would put up a good fight in the hp rating department. I guess some people simply aren't clever enough to make inferences and fill in the blanks. Perhaps writers should disect every single detail in the articles they put forth so that people aren't required to think and figure a few of the little things out on their own.

If you want to nitpick so badly the article should read "most powerful hand assembled gasoline powered eight cylinder arranged in a V shape limited production engine according to peak hp figures measured using the DIN net horsepower rating scale as of [time first engine is built] until [time someone else introduces a more powerful hand assembled gasoline powered eight cylinder arranged in a V shape limited production engine according to peak hp figures measured using the DIN net horsepower rating scale]"
Old 07-27-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Mercedes doesn't acknowledge that they are referring to peak hp numbers when they declare this new motor "most powerful naturally aspirated 8 cylinder engine" but somehow I'm quite sure you were able to figure that one out on your own seeing as how the LS7 has a higher torque rating and Ferrari's 4.3L V8 puts out more hp per liter. Plus I'm sure there have been limited production specials built by the big 3 during the 60s that would put up a good fight in the hp rating department. I guess some people simply aren't clever enough to make inferences and fill in the blanks. Perhaps writers should disect every single detail in the articles they put forth so that people aren't required to think and figure a few of the little things out on their own.

If you want to nitpick so badly the article should read "most powerful hand assembled gasoline powered eight cylinder arranged in a V shape limited production engine according to peak hp figures measured using the DIN net horsepower rating scale as of [time first engine is built] until [time someone else introduces a more powerful hand assembled gasoline powered eight cylinder arranged in a V shape limited production engine according to peak hp figures measured using the DIN net horsepower rating scale]"
That would be accurate reporting. I don't really care about it, because due to my familiarity with the media, I've learned to second guess everything they say. They're a good starting point, but you've got to do your own research. While I'd prefer them to be right on, they have their own limited perspective, and at times their own agenda.

Like I said before, though, this looks like a very promising engine, and I'll be interested in how it performs. That's really the importance of the article.

Quick Reply: AMG 6.3L V8 World's Most Powerful Naturally Aspirated V8