Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Wyotech?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2005, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh I feel ya about the cost of the school but it'll be well worth it . The apartment I got is a "studio" its the only one they had and its $450 a month plus bills which shouldnt be much at all but hey its somewhere to stay till I get situated. The school has a deal with castlewood apartments like almost right across the street I think but ive heard to steer away from them...... but then again the majority of the students live there.

About the living costs, I got financial aid and a stafford loan and a student loan from sallie mae for 30 grand and whats left I live on which should be about 6 grand for living expenses. Might have to get a job eventually tho.

O yeh Im takin both courses at the same time so Ill be done with em in 10 months.

Last edited by UGotBeaT; 11-02-2005 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Although we prefer you go to Castlewood as was mentioned here. You have the option to live wherever you choose. Castlewood is a nice place and 99% of the other students live there too, so you are surrounded by people who are just like you. It really is a chance to get close with the other guys and make good friends for life. Not to mention, it is only a mile from the school so it allows you to sleep in more, compared to you living further from us. We also have a place called Fox Hall that we can suggest you too as well. Just let me know, and Josh or Myself can help you out.

Feel free to call us. 713-683-3817 is our number. Have a good one!

Gray
Old 11-02-2005, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

I would never go to UTI. Urinary tract infection...
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT

O yeh Im takin both courses at the same time so Ill be done with em in 10 months.
That's not that bad a price for those apartments. Anyways, you can take two classes at once? Are you taking one in the morning and then one at night? If you can let me know how that's done, that'd be awesome.

BigBronco - how much do those Castlewood apartments go for? Also, my mom was checking out the SAM website yesterday and requested a information package so we're good as far as that. I would just like more info on where the best/closest place to live is and is a pretty good price. Those "studios" sound good but like you said, Castlewood also has a lot of SAM students living there so that would help out.

TIA
Old 11-02-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Regular

the fox hall apartments are very nice
Old 11-02-2005, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

I believe its one class in the morning and other after noon somethin like that just give gray a call.

My parents chose these apartments because of the safety...I guess its because I come from a small town (13,000 population) to ....Houston

I dont think I should have a problem wakin up im use to wakin up at 5 in the morning to go to work

Bigbronco have I speaked to you at teh school in person....tryin to put a face somewhere in there :S
Old 11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UGotBeaT
I believe its one class in the morning and other after noon somethin like that just give gray a call.

My parents chose these apartments because of the safety...I guess its because I come from a small town (13,000 population) to ....Houston

I dont think I should have a problem wakin up im use to wakin up at 5 in the morning to go to work

Bigbronco have I speaked to you at teh school in person....tryin to put a face somewhere in there :S

I believe I have spoken with you a few times, but Josh has handled most of your information. Definately is going to be cool to get a face and a name to match up

Honestly there is nothing wrong with Castlewood, people there have drag cars, ls1's from camaros to vettes and everything else. Fox Hall is also nice.

69Chevy. I will defiantely get you a packet tomorrow. I will go through my emails now and make sure I got your info. If you wouldn't mind. Maybe you can send me a PM with it again to make sure I have it correct! I can also send you a packet for castlewood and you can look at there plans and prices. We can also help you out with getting a roommate with a student to split the prices as well

Let me know what I can do for you. This is why I am here!

Gray
Old 11-02-2005, 03:17 PM
On The Tree

hey gray, can you send me that castlewood packet out to me also... thanks man
Old 11-02-2005, 05:53 PM
Restricted User

I'm in Laramie right now at Wyotech. I guess as far as the quality of the school, you get what you want to out of it and you get what you put into it. I've learned the rest of the **** that I didn't already know, I've already cammed cars and various other things before coming here so I've had a generalized idea about a lot of it. A couple instructors really knwo their **** and have been here over 5 years. As for a tin building in the middle of nowwhere, there's about 15 buildings around the town and a few of them arent even 5 years old. The campus isnt bad. the town sucks dick and the weather is 10X worse. As far as teh school like i said, its what you want to make of it. I dont know if i'd attend if i knew how it ran now. Anyone can shoot me a message about it though. If you're coming out here between now and the end of march shoot me a message and ill show ya everything or whatever.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattr228
Castlewood sucks , dont do it .... it may be close .... but defintely not worth it.
I'm confused then....if you could give me some pros and cons it'd be awesome cuz a lot of people say that's it alright, then you come in and say no....any other advice on where to live for a decent price and all? Castlewood seems to be a choice right now. I'll still check it out and everything but just would like to look at other options i guess.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:05 PM
On The Tree

I'll be staying like 20-30 mins away in Katy.. i found a DAMN nice apt for 550 a month. 1 bedroom, looks FANTASTIC. A little drive, but i'll be away from the city and closer to ppl i know and be in a nice place for little $$ compared to others. Want the link, PM or something so i'm not steppin on toes of who they have 'contracts' with as far as apts.
Old 11-12-2005, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i went to wyotech...but to be a diesel mechanic. loved the school...hated wyoming. love my job as a diesel mechanic at a ship yard now.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:34 AM
Restricted User

Oh yeah, whoever said Wyotech isnt ASE certified is wrong btw....
Old 11-15-2005, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

WyoTech is a good school to go to, you won't have any trouble finding a job outta there it seems like. Of the time I spent in laramie I got to be friends with 4 or 5 guys who went or were going there, and all of them had good things to say about it.

I've spent plenty of timein Laramie WY .... I'm originally from Casper, WY ...

For all you Texas guys, lemme put it to you this way: After having been in Laramie for a few years, Lubbock seems like a thriving metroplois. That should give you an idea

The town of laramie is a frothing shithole....I don't know how else to describe it. There's some good fishing and hunting to be done around there, but the actual town of Laramie....I don't think I could pick a crappier place to live.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Gray has given me a ton of info on SAM, and am planning to attend as soon as I get out of here with my BA.
I'm bringing a buddy with me, so Gray just brought in 2 students. I hope they pay you commission!

I'm excited about going, I'm going to try and get down there to talk face to face to Gray and some of the others around Springtime.
Old 11-15-2005, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TATER
Gray has given me a ton of info on SAM, and am planning to attend as soon as I get out of here with my BA.
I'm bringing a buddy with me, so Gray just brought in 2 students. I hope they pay you commission!

I'm excited about going, I'm going to try and get down there to talk face to face to Gray and some of the others around Springtime.

Glad I could help you out! Just let me know if there is anything else Josh or Myself can help you with. Just give us a call or shoot us an Email.

Have a good one guys

Gray
Old 11-17-2005, 07:15 PM
Restricted User

I guess if you would ask me if I would send someone to Wyotech, I'd have to say no. A lot of the times they are to concerend with taking points from your grade for various reasons. The instructors will tell you different answers for the same question and basically, how the tests are worded, they are made to make you **** up. We took a test today, and it was over planetary gears. There was a question on that test that asked. What are the three compenents to the planetary gear set...
The entire class - Being 100% honest here. all put the same answer and we all missed it. We all said it was the Ring gear, Sun Gear, And Pinion carrier.

After we all missed it we asked how that was wrong? the instructor told us that it was pinion gears not pinion carrier. Well, the gears are inside of a carrier and some of them are not removable. He said not all planetary gears have to have a carrier. and we asked well waht doesnt? and he proceeded to tell us this:
"When I was in Nashville in a Museum, there was a planetary gear without a carrier for the pinion gears, the planetary gear was designed for a pump in some time of farm equiptment." so basically he said that it had nothing to do with an automatic transmission because we were taught that all of them are supposed to have a carrier.

I don't really see how that is a fair question if its based off of something we don't study or have any reason to in an automotive school.

The school should be about learning not if you have a button missing, or if you're completely shaven for taht day etc. They take it to far. I think today, there was 300 points taking from the class. each person has about 2000 points each class. so 10 points every now and then adds up fast.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have never understood why people go to UTI/wyotech etc when you can get the same thing from a local community college.

I live in NC and when I first moved here I thought the NASCAR technical institute would be awesome...so many students talked me out of it and I was so glad I didn't go. I have to laugh at some of the people I meet who are all gung-ho about working for nascar/race teams...you have such a small chance of actually getting to work for one that it is ridiculous.

Apparently @ the nascar tech if you graduate as #1 in your class they give you a job on a race team. I work next to a guy who was #1 five years ago...he got a great job that he loved for six months, and then they kicked him to the curb. Now he works with me as a line tech @ a dodge dealership, $25,000 in debt from school years ago. I've worked alongside a few NTI graduates and I didn't feel like they knew anything more than I did...one of them was so bad that they actually demoted him to work in the express lube section of the dealership because he fucked things up so badly.

I also lived with a guy who was going to NTI, he was the one who mainly talked me out of it. He just said it was way too much $$ for what it was...Also they do not help you find jobs always, you're pretty much on your own. I believe wyotech/uti/nti tries to lure students in with high hopes of working for NASCAR and high-class dealerships, but the reality is much shittier...

I went to the local community college for a 2 year program for Chrysler's CAP program. I think it cost $2000 total for the whole time I was there...I learned so much stuff. Working at a local dealership was part of the grade too, so you had no choice but to get plenty of hands-on experience. They try SO hard to find you a job...I had several offers without even stepping in the door of a dealership one time...

Now I don't intend to be a line technician the rest of my life because it really does suck sometimes, but I know that the experience is invaluable...from here, I could do just about anything. I'm just so glad I didn't waste my time or money at NTI.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Teching In

You might want to see if you can get a job with someone you have in mind and just go in there and kick ***.Go to school at night and see if you really like the industry. I got a job at a major exhaust manufacturing company back in 1991. I worked every bit of overtime and on weekends to learn as much as i could about every part of that company as well as getting paid for doing it. I did not know how to weld so i worked after hours to train myself to weld their product. After awhile they moved me into R&D department where i made special parts for the mufflers and for unique applications. about 4 years into they bought a whole dyno shop that did testing for GM in LA CA. As soon as found out that was happening i told them i wanted to work over in the Dyno. I helped build the cell and worked over there after i was done with my work in the R&D department. After that I was taught by one of the greatest people in the industry how to build engines. We built engines for GM press cars, developed the LT4 hot cam and carburated intake for LT4. Some of the cars even went on the road with John Mosses cars. We did Hot Rod Power Tours and got to travel with GM all over the country. This industry is very demanding. You can have the best education but if you don't kick *** and work, you will be left behind.
Old 11-22-2005, 02:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all comes down to what you really want to do...specialize in one thing do it well and you'll always have a job.. If you want to build motors check out S.A.M I have a friend who attended and work in our engine shop for a few years before moving on to his own deal.....If you would like to build street rods maybe wyotech ....If you want to work on passenger cars maybe UTI...but if you want to go racing your best bet is a local short track and get hands on training from the ground up... thats what I did and racing is the only "real" job i've ever had..

Quick Reply: Wyotech?