Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

New Impala SS has 5.3 with 243 heads

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi: I Wonder if the new block is thick enough to bore it out to a 5.7 liter like the truck motors? If so you could change the pistons and rods and put in an LS6 cam and have a real sleeper on your hands no one would be able to tell the difference from the outside! Maybe someone will find out and post up. Bye
Old 11-09-2005, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
The Monto Carlo is considered a sedan? I know the Impala and Grand Prix is with the 4 doors, but I always considered the MC to be a sport coupe with the 2 doors and now I consider it a muscle car since they brought the v8 engine back to it that it hasn't had since the 80's.
isnt the monte carlo basically an impala with 2 doors instead of four.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:14 PM
Staging Lane

Hey guys, I'm new around here, but thought I'd chime in here. The LS4 unfortunately won't take any of the other LSx cams, heads, etc. because it was shortened somewhat to fit in the FWD application. The other main change for that application was that it went to a single accessory belt drive.

It has the 4T65E-HD transmission, basically the same as the S/C 3800s. It does have some modifications to the internals though, mostly hardening and different materials for increased power capacity and durability.

I like the GXP front facia and grills better than the other trims, mostly because I couldn't stand the huge turn signal/fog assembly. It always looked way too big to me.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned about the GXP is that it comes with offset tire sizes, 255's front/225's rear. It also has an upgraded suspension with Bilstein struts, and larger, cross-drilled brakes (12.7"fr/12"r) The Chevys don't have any of these upgrades.

If you guys have any other questions about the LS4 cars let me know, if I can't answer it I can find someone who can.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

Just don't go nuts with the burnouts or say bye-bye to your steering (no limited slip) also, don't take it too hard accelerating through the corners... same thing... puts A LOT of stress on the steering.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I just got my 2006 Impala SS and will be going to the track to see how it runs very soon..
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are the rotors the same?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I just lined up the race and watched a bone stock 06 SS impala beat a 05 SS impala. I work at a local chevy dealer and i own an 04 SS impala and have the new 06SS trailblazer on order. Anyways, my friends 05 SS impala w/supercharged 3800 beats my stock ss impala by about 4 cars in the 1/4. He has a smaller s/c pulley, tstat, colder plugs, k&n, pcm tune. He then raced another buddies 06 and jumped him off the line by 2 cars, the guy in the 06 didnt know how to drive, 2nd race= 06 slight jump but kept 3/4 of car length the whole 1/4. the new 06 is definetly a strong runner. Not sure what any of them actually run in the 1/4 but im anxious to see how my new SS trailblazer will do against everything? BY the way that leads to the question? can you use the camshafts for the LS1s in the new LS2s? i.e tr224 or G5X-2? thanks
Old 11-09-2005, 11:18 PM
TECH Resident

wow, reverse stagger setup, i bet the car might actually not plow, however with todays n00b drivers on the street im suprised they did that. does it have like a huge front swaybar and no rear swaybar or something? just seems like with the modern american and their lawsuits they like to file after at fault accidents, reverse stagger tire setups wouldnt be a smart idea.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Resident

also whoever said that a FWD car was a muscle car, please die. if its not real wheel drive, its not a muscle car. muscle cars do burnouts and get sideways doing it, they dont light up one front tire for 20 feet, that is super gay.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
wow, reverse stagger setup, i bet the car might actually not plow, however with todays n00b drivers on the street im suprised they did that. does it have like a huge front swaybar and no rear swaybar or something? just seems like with the modern american and their lawsuits they like to file after at fault accidents, reverse stagger tire setups wouldnt be a smart idea.
i was reading somewhere that GM (or pontiac rather) put alot of thought and testing into tire combinations and the bigger ones in the front yielded the best results. i was surprised as well when i first read the tire sizes of the car. i still cant remember exactly what they said about its effect on handling though.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Staging Lane

One of the head engineers for the GXP program posts over on clubgp.com, and he's posted a lot about the GXP. The staggered tire sizes in combination with a specially designed Potenza RE050A tire give the GXP more neutral handling characteristics. When pushing my car hard through corners, usually all 4 tires break loose together, instead of plowing. Occasionally, I've gotten the rears to kick out by themselves, which surprised me in a FWD car. The rear sway bar was completely redesigned to accomodate for the staggered tire setup. With the Stabilitrak, it's almost impossible to get the car to break traction in a corner for more than a split second. It straightens you out before you realize you're sliding. They also don't tell you how to turn it off in the manual, but it's not that hard.

The LS4 engines have special cams with different profiles for the 4 Displacement on Demand cylinders, so I don't think any of the cams out there will work on it. The crankshaft is shortened to fit in the transverse application, so I think the camshaft may be as well.

As far as I know, the Impala and Monte both use the same rotors and suspension parts (with slight adjustments) on the SS as they do on the base model. The GXP has a completely different suspension setup than the other trims, and the different rotors, as well as different calipers.

And as for this comment:
muscle cars do burnouts and get sideways doing it, they dont light up one front tire for 20 feet, that is super gay.
While my car might not get sideways doing burnouts, it most definitely spins both tires, and leaves black marks just as well as my brother's T/A. Although, it is tougher to clean rubber off the entire side of the car instead of just the rear quarterpanels.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:00 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

also whoever said that a FWD car was a muscle car, please die. if its not real wheel drive, its not a muscle car. muscle cars do burnouts and get sideways doing it, they dont light up one front tire for 20 feet, that is super gay.
These new fwd cars will rip most "muscle" cars from the 60's, 70's, and 80's.

They certainly put a hurting on the mid 90's Impala SS. Hell, the blown 3800 is quicker than that land yatch.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

FWD- cant break the tranny if you cant get the traction
Old 11-10-2005, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

so when are these cars gonna be rear wheel drive?????????? i would then be interested!!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I never said FWD was a muscle car. I said I now consider the Monte Carlo a muscle car with its 2 doors and a v8 engine that it hasn't had since the 80's. I thought they were going to make the LS4 models RWD, but I guess they decided on FWD. Real cars don't power the front wheels, they lift them.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:01 PM
On The Tree

what is considered the LS4 engine?? will the camshafts of the LS1s fit in a LS2? thanks again
Old 11-11-2005, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Default not much at all TS......

The Chevy SS will likely have some bad TS, but as an FYI, the Grand Prix GXP is pretty much good to go with only minimal TS....less than the 04-05 Acura TL's I've driven. They have a revised suspension and of course different sized tires on front and back.

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
can anyone say TORQUE STEER
Old 11-14-2005, 07:13 PM
8 Second Club

I think FWD v-8s are gay no matter how fast they are
Old 11-15-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Wrong wheel drive, don't even bother trying to polish one of these turds. The LT1 SS is still the best Impala SS.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NO5.0
what is considered the LS4 engine?? will the camshafts of the LS1s fit in a LS2? thanks again
I think the crank and front of engine is unique, but the heads, cam, valvetrain, etc, should all interchange with an LS1. The fact that they are running a 243 casting means you could bolt on 40 rwhp very quickly with some ported versions.

Personally, I kind of like the old iron 3.8, but I am a little biased.

-Geoff

Quick Reply: New Impala SS has 5.3 with 243 heads