Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Answering Questions No One Asked: The Pontiac Solstice Shooting Brake (Wagon)

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Answering Questions No One Asked: The Pontiac Solstice Shooting Brake (Wagon)

http://www.edag.de/pr/press/News_Ite...-12-21.5929/en

That's what it basically is afterall. For those of you who don't know about English car history, Shooting Break refers to a wagon variation of a typically 2 door sports car. There's a whole history of the name you can probably find a Wikipedia about how it was derived from "Shooting Break" because people would take a break from hunting or target shooting or whatever. Go read if you're interested.

Anyway, this thing seems to be an answer to a question no one asked but whatever. From the pic, I can't tell if the hardtop replaces the soft top, or if it fits right over the factor soft top. Regardless, uhh, I think it's a little ugly. Good looking shooting brakes include the Ferrari 456M Shooting Brake and the Aston Martin V8 Vantage Shooting Brake. I'm sorry to say this, but this thing is not one of the better looking examples.
Old 01-05-2006, 06:12 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The BMW Z3/M Roadster looked similar. Ugly IMO.
Old 01-05-2006, 08:16 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Kind of gives it that Nomad concept look.

http://www.fast-autos.net/chevrolet/nomad.jpg

Old 01-05-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Resident

Well if they produce the top, supposedly it's for people who were fans of the Nomad that never made it to showrooms. The Nomad was also built off of Kappa. I can't believe GM was actually pondering building the Nomad along with that 5 cylinder Bel Air concept they had a few years ago. DUMBASSES.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Offer it as a 2K dollar option?

Not bad for an aftermarket company to throw out there.

Maybe somebody wants something like this?

I'd like to see a more traditional hardtop design as I'm not a big fan of 2 seat wagon like vehicles...

Rather see a hardtop like the Z06 C5.

That would work better as far as I could tell.
Old 01-06-2006, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I actually like the Nomad concept. But like the SSR, it has no purpose or market for it. And based on its limited numbers, would be pretty expensive. The sports car wagon idea is not new to GM or Pontiac. They tried putting a wagon roof on the hatch of a Trans Am in the mid 80s and had another wagon concept built off a Trans Am in the 70s.
Old 01-06-2006, 01:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dgformula2k
I actually like the Nomad concept. But like the SSR, it has no purpose or market for it. And based on its limited numbers, would be pretty expensive. The sports car wagon idea is not new to GM or Pontiac. They tried putting a wagon roof on the hatch of a Trans Am in the mid 80s and had another wagon concept built off a Trans Am in the 70s.
lol. Hell there was even a concept in the early 21st century called the Hurst Hauler built off of an LS1 T/A. I don't know why but there has been an underground obsession with throwing a hatch onto Firebirds throughout its lifetime.

Quick Reply: Answering Questions No One Asked: The Pontiac Solstice Shooting Brake (Wagon)