Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

FORD & GM MERGER????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 11:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question

Originally Posted by ram09
I for one would jump ship and go to Dodge and buy most of my vehicles, cant stand the thought of owning a FORD unless someone gives it to me and I would feel very betrade, Im a die hard GM fan and dont like Ford at all.
I for one am a fan of BOTH of these great domestic nameplates (and own stock in both as well) so I would have almost NO problem with it at all.
Just curious though, we know how you feel about Ford and that's fine but how would you if GM and Toyota or GM and Honda merged? Would you NOT jump ship (as I would) then?
In other words I'm just curious if good, honest Americans can actually dislike Ford more than they dislike an import nameplate brand.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
I for one am a fan of BOTH of these great domestic nameplates (and own stock in both as well) so I would have almost NO problem with it at all.
Just curious though, we know how you feel about Ford and that's fine but how would you if GM and Toyota or GM and Honda merged? Would you NOT jump ship (as I would) then?
In other words I'm just curious if good, honest Americans can actually dislike Ford more than they dislike an import nameplate brand.
Man thats a good question. I can honestly say that I dont know what I would do. I drove a 92 Toyota Corrolla (RIP) for 2 years while I was in High School, it was my sisters car before me and my great aunts before that and I used it as my daily driver after high school while my first newer vehicle (2000 4x4 ZR2 S-10) sat at home. My daily commute at the time to work in Brenham at Blue Bell was about 80 miles a day, so gas mileage was a concern. My little Corolla (RIP) never got below 28 miles per gallon and she never left me sitting on the side of the road execpt for the very rare flat tire. I put almost 70k on that car and planned to never get rid of it, even when I traded in my S-10 for the 04 GTO i have now, my little White Corrolla was still there to do her daily duty. That was until a wednesday last May (05), I worked an early shift a Blue Bell and was leaving work around 1 p.m. I was in down town Brenham and a girl from Bryan ran a stop sign and hit the very front of my Corolla on the passenger side. She moved the whole body (forward of the front wheel) to the driverside about 6 inches. My car was totalled. RIP RICE ROCKET.... Insurance gave me $2400 for her, but I cant replace the memories I had in that car. Like I said she never left me stranded and had about 164k on her, and never missed a beat other than the normal repair work. What really made it bad was 2 days before she got wrecked she had just come out of the shop, spent about 650 dollars on the A/C, new belts, all that stuff, and then she got totalled. Sorry about the whole emotinal moment but you brought up a bunch of import companies and that brought back many memories. Anyway back to the subject, I think it would depend on who was in charge and what the goal of the company was, If they started to put Chinese, Japense, whatever 4 cylinder motors in Camaro's, GTO's, anything with a V-8 history, I would be gone. Same goes for Ford-GM merger, Im not saying I would jump ship right away but if the design team from Ford stays on board, and everything started to look like Fords, and/or Ford motors start showing up in Chevys and/or prices for parts started to be as expensive as Ford parts are, Mopar here I come!
Old 06-04-2006, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Ford already has too many brands... GM already has too many brands...

a merger would be a ridiculous notion.
Old 06-07-2006, 12:27 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

None of the good and all of the bad of both companies.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Ironically enough it almost happened in the 20s, when Billy Durant was buying up all the nameplates (Chevrolet, Cadillac, etc) to add to his General Motors company. He offered to buy Ford, and Henry was interested. However Durant would only offer GM stock for the company, Henry Ford insisted it be cash, Durant refused, and the deal fell through. Imagine if that had gone through! Would've missed out on years of a rivalry.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Probably end up with something like this... lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=4645650100
Old 06-07-2006, 08:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh Dear God!!!!!!!
Old 06-07-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

I dont see it happening, but i definately wouldnt jump ship if it did. I for one will never own a dodge if it weighs more than 3600lbs,and thats close to the limit as is.

I would however never buy any vehicle that is an import. If any of these companies where to merge with an import company, i would write them off instantly. I dont care if they came out with a 600hp Camaro SS for $20k.

Lastly i think the answer to ending this damn foreign car makers from selling there cars so cheap is to raise the cost of importing. Due to the fact that it creates an unfair market for companies like Ford and GM that have to pay for health benefits, labor unions, and such. I would also raise the cost of importing parts, so they have to start making them here in the US more.

I am ofcourse 100% buy U.S only. Now i am not going to lie and say i dont own anything that is from a foreign maker, because lets be honest, in todays day that is nearly impossible. But i try my best to find something else comparable or better, and am willing to pay more if its made in America.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc
I dont see it happening, but i definately wouldnt jump ship if it did. I for one will never own a dodge if it weighs more than 3600lbs,and thats close to the limit as is.

I would however never buy any vehicle that is an import. If any of these companies where to merge with an import company, i would write them off instantly. I dont care if they came out with a 600hp Camaro SS for $20k.

Lastly i think the answer to ending this damn foreign car makers from selling there cars so cheap is to raise the cost of importing. Due to the fact that it creates an unfair market for companies like Ford and GM that have to pay for health benefits, labor unions, and such. I would also raise the cost of importing parts, so they have to start making them here in the US more.

I am ofcourse 100% buy U.S only. Now i am not going to lie and say i dont own anything that is from a foreign maker, because lets be honest, in todays day that is nearly impossible. But i try my best to find something else comparable or better, and am willing to pay more if its made in America.
Even though that idea sounds good, if you raised the cost of importing parts into the US, GM, FORD, DODGE would just raise the cost of vehicles. It would have to be drastic to force the big 3 to start making more parts here in the U.S. Even then it would cost US (the consumer more). Think about it, they can pay some guy in INDIA, CHINA, JAPAN, TAIWAN, Even MEXICO, to build the part for alot less than they can pay for someone to build it here. OVER in those countries they dont have to pay for Health Insurance, Retirement, etc..... So it would have to be drastic for them to do it here. Remember even though it is from the big 3 doesnt mean it was built here, Even the CAMARO was built in CANANDA, and the GTO in Australia.
Old 06-08-2006, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Oh and my Girlfriends DODGE truck was built in MEXICO
Old 06-12-2006, 11:09 PM
On The Tree

I think big changes are coming for both Ford and GM. Something has to be done in order to solve their problems.
Old 06-14-2006, 07:08 AM
On The Tree

We would finally get a supercharged LSX engine..
Old 06-15-2006, 02:00 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$..
Sprint/ NEXTEL, Compaq / HP
for example just to name a few

It would suck but if the ride is kick *** Id buy it MAYBE
Old 06-15-2006, 02:03 AM
12 Second Club

Location: Chitown-Jax NC-Jax FL-Honolulu-OKC, OK-NOW New Orleans Area

Originally Posted by PewterWSSicc

wow 600hp Camaro SS for 20k and u wouldnt buy it.. WTF r u smoking? I'll take 2!!!!!
Granted as much as a lot of us want to support homeland build stuff but we all got tons of stuff made over seas.. Look at ur NIKE shoes, Sony DVD player, etc
Old 06-18-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ram09
You just made my stomach hurt. Im sorry I ever brought this up. Hey imagine a Ford with a small block chevy in it. Oh wait that already happens with 30's Ford Hot Rods. Never mind I feel better knowing there are more Ford's with Chevy power than Chevy's with Ford power
Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff!
just like this
Attached Thumbnails FORD & GM MERGER????-hpim0375.jpg  
Old 07-11-2006, 03:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WECIV
We should shut the Chinese out of our market. We will have to pay more, but we would not be buying weapons to use against ourselves.

W
how about just making the US cars cheaper? the Japs make more cars in the usa than the us automakers and still can sell them with better quality than most of the cars made by the big 3.

my point is that dont shut the competition out! compete with them! it great that there are sold 10K cars it makes autos posible for the poorer people. lets look at the facts. no one wuld buy a china made car if they can afford something else
Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anything is possible .. GM and Nissan have been talking merger quite a bit lately with niether party seeming to push away.
Old 07-20-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think GM would quit business before it came to that to keep at least some of their pride. Either way id rather have a honda anyway, so it wouldnt sway me.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Never happen. F-bodys would have a strong diff, Mustangs would come with some displacement for once, No more pushrods, It's armageddon I tell ya, armageddon!

-Mark

Quick Reply: FORD & GM MERGER????