Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

FORD & GM MERGER????

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The merger of GM and Nissan is actually being talked about...now GM and Toyota is rumored. Any of these mergers would suck ***.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:36 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by RedZoutlaw
The merger of GM and Nissan is actually being talked about...now GM and Toyota is rumored. Any of these mergers would suck ***.
I don't know about GM + Toyota. Toyota has the quality, but cookiecutter cars...GM (if they could find some vision, which they've hinted at with caddy, the camaro concept, obviously the Z06, and some other stuff) it could be the best of all worlds. I've heard that rumor for quite sometime (GM + Toyota) but I SERIOUSLY doubt we'll ever see one of the two happen.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
I don't know about GM + Toyota. Toyota has the quality, but cookiecutter cars...GM (if they could find some vision, which they've hinted at with caddy, the camaro concept, obviously the Z06, and some other stuff) it could be the best of all worlds. I've heard that rumor for quite sometime (GM + Toyota) but I SERIOUSLY doubt we'll ever see one of the two happen.
NONE OF THESE ARE MERGERS!!!!!!!!!

they are Alliance's. Gm already has an alliance with toyota. Given the fact that GM alliances/GM's greed to buy into other car divsions, have always been bad/god aweful id hate to see a Renault/nissan/Gm alliance. I would much rather toyota and GM do something further than what they already have with Toyota.
Old 07-22-2006, 12:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

NEVER ever ever ever... will a ford gm merger EVER happen

bottom line

wont happen... to many dedicated ford or gm fans' heads would explode

not to mention it would create a monopoly within the states and the government wouldnt let it happen
Old 07-22-2006, 05:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

it's not that unlikely. it could happen. these big companies dont give a flying F**K where or how they make money, as long as they make money. i think if that would happen, my next car would definatley be a BMW. hell i'm thinking about trading in the camaro for one now!
Old 07-23-2006, 03:24 PM
TECH Regular

DCX would be raped so bad if they merged. haha. do it
Old 08-10-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

I for one am not a ford nor a GM loyalist, but i will only own an american car. If ford an GM merged it would probably cut a lot of costs and make them an unstoppable force when competing with asians and european car makers. Bottom line America would be back on top of the food chain and we'd get more variations of the cars that everyone on this board prefers. Why doesn't everyone drop their biases and support their country
Old 09-06-2006, 01:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by WECIV
We should shut the Chinese out of our market. We will have to pay more, but we would not be buying weapons to use against ourselves.

W
We could easily pay less for American made automobiles (and American products in general) if the US govt would halt (or heavily, heavily tax) imported steel, aluminum and titanium. Over-sea suppliers would then be placed on the same stage as our failing manufacturing industry, import less due to the costs and as a result our own industries would again pick up the market demand here in American. As hundreds of millions of Americans return to their once-lost manufacturing jobs we could again produce quality (even-more quality), cheaper, AMERICAN MADE steel, etc. As a result automakers primarily foriegn could not purchase their steel, etc from other foriegn sources to use here in America, thus could not cheaply manufacture automobiles and thus could get the F*** out of our god damn country so our own brothers and sisters at GM, Ford and D/Chrysler could again produce all-american cars for americans--especially the ones who could then afford them due to the market picking up, thus driving demand+, thus raising the demand of the labor, thus raising the wage of labor, thus creating more consumer spending, thus further profiting the corporations and the businesses who design and develop the goods, thus further allowing those same corporations to develop greater products more cheaply, efficiently... -breath-

So simple yet so complex...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
We could easily pay less for American made automobiles (and American products in general) if the US govt would halt (or heavily, heavily tax) imported steel, aluminum and titanium. Over-sea suppliers would then be placed on the same stage as our failing manufacturing industry, import less due to the costs and as a result our own industries would again pick up the market demand here in American. As hundreds of millions of Americans return to their once-lost manufacturing jobs we could again produce quality (even-more quality), cheaper, AMERICAN MADE steel, etc. As a result automakers primarily foriegn could not purchase their steel, etc from other foriegn sources to use here in America, thus could not cheaply manufacture automobiles and thus could get the F*** out of our god damn country so our own brothers and sisters at GM, Ford and D/Chrysler could again produce all-american cars for americans--especially the ones who could then afford them due to the market picking up, thus driving demand+, thus raising the demand of the labor, thus raising the wage of labor, thus creating more consumer spending, thus further profiting the corporations and the businesses who design and develop the goods, thus further allowing those same corporations to develop greater products more cheaply, efficiently... -breath-

So simple yet so complex...
One of the BEST, if not THE best post I've ever seen anywhere, on any board!!!!!!!!!
Of course, now you'll have all of the "Economics 101" $h!ts coming on here telling you why this will NEVER be possible, and we should just lay down and die and let every foreign interest/company come in here and completely control and take us over.
Also, how does one un-program/brainwash the American lemming public that would never buy/give a domestic product another chance, EVEN if they were making cars 10 X better (performance/quality/reliability/mileage), for less consumer cost than the foreign (mostly Asian) competition??? Sadly for this country, that seems about impossible, NOT because of economics, but because of public opinion. The lemming public just does not care if everyone loses their jobs, is in debt, with NO money, as long as they still have their "infallible" Camrys to get them to the job they no longer have.

Since I like the Blue Oval as much as the Red Bowtie, that merger would not bother me in the least, especially if it meant that the resultant company could stand up to (or better yet kick the azzes of) the onslaught of Toyota & Honda!!!!! Much better that than any Nippon company taking over a domestic automaker. If the day comes where I can ONLY buy from Toyota/Honda/etc./et al, I will give up on cars and ride my American framed bicycle everywhere I need to go!!!
Old 09-08-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Regular

Right on DailyDriver, thanks for the kudos! If any Econ 101 fanatics want to talk business.. I have all the numbers (and the econ 101+) and we can battle it all on out LS1tech!! heh.

To say the least it's just plain upsetting to see so many Americans lose their jobs in our once-was biggest, most profitable industry: General Manufacturing. It's depressing remembering all of this every time I see a Honda, Toyota or Nissan commercial on television.. or when I hear people rant and rave about how American products are expensive and cheap.. yada yada.. made in china.. hurray communism... @_@;

You began talking about the public opinion of American cars versus Foreign cars.. and how we could possibly correct or reverse the damaged opinions. Off the top of my head, after reading the Magazine/Ads forum, I'd have to say.. by putting a sock in the media's loud speaker. As most of the members in the Magazine forum (who are or were regular readers) pointed out, the editors have a significantly biased opinion, specifically in favor of foreign auto's. In my own experience (for one example).. I noticed the general consensus for Consumer Reports is that their super-favorite Mercedes-Benz line up has just magically gone to complete pot now that Ford owns it. And the members are right.. you read some of these things and go.. WHAT?

In short I believe my point is that our nation is heavily reliant upon the news.. and with bad news comes bad opinions.. and even worse decisions. If the media is super pro-foreign industry.. then I suppose we have identified one major source to blame for the twisting and souring of consumer opinions on American auto's. How do we change that? Drop the subscriptions and stick to similar, reliable, picture friendly, free internet automobile news sites ran by fellow Americans. I'm sure someone can think of 100's of other ways.. but thats all mine for now since it's late--

Have a good night,
-OSUBraden
Old 09-08-2006, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dailydriver
One of the BEST, if not THE best post I've ever seen anywhere, on any board!!!!!!!!!
Of course, now you'll have all of the "Economics 101" $h!ts coming on here telling you why this will NEVER be possible, and we should just lay down and die and let every foreign interest/company come in here and completely control and take us over.
Also, how does one un-program/brainwash the American lemming public that would never buy/give a domestic product another chance, EVEN if they were making cars 10 X better (performance/quality/reliability/mileage), for less consumer cost than the foreign (mostly Asian) competition??? Sadly for this country, that seems about impossible, NOT because of economics, but because of public opinion. The lemming public just does not care if everyone loses their jobs, is in debt, with NO money, as long as they still have their "infallible" Camrys to get them to the job they no longer have.

Since I like the Blue Oval as much as the Red Bowtie, that merger would not bother me in the least, especially if it meant that the resultant company could stand up to (or better yet kick the azzes of) the onslaught of Toyota & Honda!!!!! Much better that than any Nippon company taking over a domestic automaker. If the day comes where I can ONLY buy from Toyota/Honda/etc./et al, I will give up on cars and ride my American framed bicycle everywhere I need to go!!!
i didnt think it was that good of a post... where exactly do you think all of the terrif money from imported steal, aluminum ect ect goes? If they dont tax foreign nations for it then guess who they are going to come after for the money... YOU. Also id like to see some everyday middle class american working man settle with 4$ an hour (ie what citizens of other countries are making from these companies)

and THIS is why it will never work

"As hundreds of millions of Americans return to their once-lost manufacturing jobs we could again produce quality (even-more quality), cheaper, AMERICAN MADE steel, etc."

Just how many people do you think are out of work (with enough mechanical aptitude) in this country?

Last edited by 00transamnh; 09-08-2006 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
i didnt think it was that good of a post... where exactly do you think all of the terrif money from imported steal, aluminum ect ect goes?
That is part of the problem, our current government is afraid to tax imported product either enough to help us, or NOT AT ALL! All in the name of "free trade" and "global economy". That's great, we'll be keeping up those principals while deteriorating into a fourth world country.

Originally Posted by 00transamnh
Just how many people do you think are out of work (with enough mechanical aptitude) in this country?
WAAAYYY more than all of you ITers might think (and be careful, A LOT of your jobs are disappearing real fast as well). Contrary to popular opinion, the transplant import jobs DO NOT "take up the slack" for the U.S. auto mfg. jobs lost to the foreign nameplates.
Old 09-09-2006, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

id still buy a chevy/ford over and plain dodge, or most imports.. still think hell would freeze over before that merger or alliance would happen though. kawasaki and suzuki merged, nothing dramatic happend they both had the same bikes with differnt colors for some models.. they were shitty bikes before and still are(quality that is) and idk about the street bikes but the dirtbikes from kawi and suzuki have always been chinese quality builds not upto honda or yamaha's japan par..

Quick Reply: FORD & GM MERGER????