Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Getting Gutsy With Design: Meet The Maserati GranTurismo Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Gutsy With Design: Meet The Maserati GranTurismo Coupe

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/02/19/m...-pics-surface/

I was a fan of the Maser 3200GT's design when it first debuted in 1998 and when I heard that it would be coming stateside I was excited. However I would be let down when Maserati was forced to revise the rear end and ditch the LED strip taillights on the revised and renamed Coupe and Spyder because of US visibility regulations. The revised Coupe and Spyder did get a new 4.2L naturally aspirated V8 in place of the 3200GT's 3.2L bi-turbo unit but I still missed the exterior details of the original car.

The GranTurismo looks to be the best of both cars by combining avant garde design with a smooth natrally aspirated V8. I know some will probably hate the looks of this thing as it's pretty "out there" but I tend to like its Quattroporte inspired design. Its overall shape is much more bold than that of the 3200GT or the Coupe and despite taking a few cues from its sibling, it looks fresh in that it doesn't too closely resemble any of its competition. Power comes from a 405hp 4.2L V8. LLN is reporting that the power is routed through a 6 speed "automatic" gearbox which sounds right as the shifter on the console resembles the shifter in the Quattroporte automatic as opposed to Cambiocorsa sequential manual equipped cars. This leaves me wondering which route Maser will go down in order to please enthusiasts (stick and clutch or Cambiocorsa).

All in all I think the GranTurismo Coupe is a pretty slick looking piece and one of Pininfarina's better looking recent designs. The 612 Scaglietti is hideous and I'm still on the wall with regards to the questionable looks of the 599 GTB Fiorano. The one off P4/5 is a looker though. Overall I think the GranTurismo bodes well for both Maserati and Pininfarina.

Maserati GranTurismo Coupe:

Old 02-21-2007, 10:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it!!!! Great lines, awesome interior. It's refreshing because it doesn't look like everyother sportscar out there. It's unique. Just wish I had the scratch!!

Quick Reply: Getting Gutsy With Design: Meet The Maserati GranTurismo Coupe