Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

NASCAR is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NASCAR is fine....cars could be better..although they are 850+HP monsters...as far as the challenge..sure would like to see any Drag Racer even FINISH a race...haha..no way...3-4 hours in 130+ heat...very punishing if you guys would actually be sensible and think about it....these guys are some of the best drivers in the world..my wife and I have been to a couple and never miss or [record] a NASCAR RACE...This weekend is DOVER,DELAWARE....great track also..they call it 'Big Bristol' or something like that...we watch ALL Racing...we are RACING FANS....seems like alot of people on this board are REALLY, NOT into Racing..
Old 09-21-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
NASCAR is fine....cars could be better..although they are 850+HP monsters...as far as the challenge..sure would like to see any Drag Racer even FINISH a race...haha..no way...3-4 hours in 130+ heat...very punishing if you guys would actually be sensible and think about it....these guys are some of the best drivers in the world..my wife and I have been to a couple and never miss or [record] a NASCAR RACE...This weekend is DOVER,DELAWARE....great track also..they call it 'Big Bristol' or something like that...we watch ALL Racing...we are RACING FANS....seems like alot of people on this board are REALLY, NOT into Racing..
they are great drivers and its annoying to hear people say that its talentless... I know this is a whole other argument but hopefully a TRUE RACING fan can answer this, what racing has the most talented drivers... NASCAR or F1? you always see people switching, like Montoya and I was just curious sorry about this being
Old 09-21-2007, 06:10 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think NASCAR drivers are athlete's. It's just the rules and all the politics involved make if like wwe or whatever the wrestling is called these days..Drivers are like puppets, can't say "****" and they are fined & put on probation. remember when Tony Stewart blasted NASCAR about the "ghost" caution flags? I knew that he would do a complete 360 in his analysis when NASCAR reemed his *******.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
they are great drivers and its annoying to hear people say that its talentless... I know this is a whole other argument but hopefully a TRUE RACING fan can answer this, what racing has the most talented drivers... NASCAR or F1? you always see people switching, like Montoya and I was just curious sorry about this being
I believe the HARDEST MOTORSPORT on Earth is Nascar Cup Racing...endurance is a large portion of it, along with side to side racing around banked corners at 180 MPH...... DRAG RACING is hard, and they are talented...but put a CUP driver in a Dragster and after a few tries[if they don't kill themselves] they WILL get a DECENT time/mph..........put John Force in a cup car and he would be lucky to make it 50 laps at PHOENIX RACEWAY....which has to be the worst/boring/easiest track on the circuit...
Old 09-21-2007, 11:02 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I believe the HARDEST MOTORSPORT on Earth is Nascar Cup Racing...endurance is a large portion of it, along with side to side racing around banked corners at 180 MPH...... DRAG RACING is hard, and they are talented...but put a CUP driver in a Dragster and after a few tries[if they don't kill themselves] they WILL get a DECENT time/mph..........put John Force in a cup car and he would be lucky to make it 50 laps at PHOENIX RACEWAY....which has to be the worst/boring/easiest track on the circuit...
Jeff Gordon (I am NOT a fan) got behind the wheel of an F1 car for the first time a few years ago and was turning pretty good times within a few laps, and I believe that was the first time Montoya tried a Cup car..
Old 09-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Launching!

I'd say NASCAR is the hardest motorsport on earth in terms of competition, but its not the most difficult form of auto racing. That will always be road coarse racing. The skills required to race on a road course is way tougher than oval racing or drag racing.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Jeff Gordon (I am NOT a fan) got behind the wheel of an F1 car for the first time a few years ago and was turning pretty good times within a few laps, and I believe that was the first time Montoya tried a Cup car..
Yes, that was the first time montoya got into a cup car. As well, Gordon was running lap times with in a second of montoyas within just a few laps.
Old 09-22-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I guess you guys forgot that Gordon was a badass kart racer before his oval career.
Old 09-22-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Junkie

NASCAR=AIDs of the car world since there scene is so whored up
Old 09-22-2007, 10:45 PM
TECH Junkie

REALLLY? How can you compare a DRAG racer to a road racer? And now your doubting what a top feul driver can do? Lol

Then you know nothing about F1 at all, or RALLY

Are F1 driver not the most highest paid sports people in the world?
Old 09-23-2007, 03:10 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slick1851
Notice all the real car guys hate nascar, and people who dont know any better likt it?

Give me F1 and rally

people like you cant enjoy nascar because all you can think about is how much slower they are and technicaly wonderfull other forms of racing are, and you dont enjoy it for what it is, which is RACING, not the cars fault, they could make the cars faster than F1 if they wanted to but they dont, they restrict them so more skill is involved and drivers will have to learn to drive through traffic and put on a show for the crowd.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:21 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Switchblade
I'd say NASCAR is the hardest motorsport on earth in terms of competition, but its not the most difficult form of auto racing. That will always be road coarse racing. The skills required to race on a road course is way tougher than oval racing or drag racing.

not really, a perfectly balanced car for turning left and right is much easier to control than one setup for left turns only, its really awkward, if you know how they setup the suspension on a oval car. the hardest part about road racing is remembering how to take all of the turns, not just 3, 4, or 5 big swooping turns, but it takes a bit more skill to get those big swooping turns perfectly down than quick left and right turns.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZV8
people like you cant enjoy nascar because all you can think about is how much slower they are and technicaly wonderfull other forms of racing are, and you dont enjoy it for what it is, which is RACING, not the cars fault, they could make the cars faster than F1 if they wanted to but they dont, they restrict them so more skill is involved and drivers will have to learn to drive through traffic and put on a show for the crowd.
I dont know about him, but I personally hate NASCAR because of the tracks. Its a big circle, and so repetitive that it makes it boring. If F1 cars or WRC cars were on the oval tracks it would be boring as well.
BTW it sounds like you think that F1 cars are not heavily restricted, which they very much are.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ZV8
not really, a perfectly balanced car for turning left and right is much easier to control than one setup for left turns only, its really awkward, if you know how they setup the suspension on a oval car. the hardest part about road racing is remembering how to take all of the turns, not just 3, 4, or 5 big swooping turns, but it takes a bit more skill to get those big swooping turns perfectly down than quick left and right turns.
You're forgetting the other aspects of road courses, shifting and braking which occur every lap. Oval races don't have these aspects to worry about on every lap.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:52 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by Switchblade
You're forgetting the other aspects of road courses, shifting and braking which occur every lap. Oval races don't have these aspects to worry about on every lap.
They shift at Pocono.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, I just realized something. What in the hell is the point of tube-chassis, 800+hp cars barely doing 200mph on some tracks. They were doing that in REAL cars with almost half the horsepower back in the early 70's. Superbird anyone?
Old 09-23-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mzoomora
They shift at Pocono.
Not anymore. they stopped that 2-3 years ago to cut down broken trannies.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Its a big circle, and so repetitive that it makes it boring. If F1 cars or WRC cars were on the oval tracks it would be boring as well.
You have a point. I've always said that if the France's REALLY wanted entertainment, they would put the Cup cars on STREET CIRCUITS!!! (like the Trans Am series did)
Old 09-23-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

WRC drivers are by far the most talented of the Motorsports Circtuit imo, this isnt saying that all other are talentless since they could all drive circles around me. They all are talented drivers but WRC has the most difficult tracks and dangerous settings and they still are going all out.
Old 09-23-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think school bus racing is the hardest racing ever, with lawn tractor racing a close second. There is a lot of different type of racing out there , find something you enjoy and have fun.

Quick Reply: NASCAR is a joke