Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

NASCAR is a joke

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lookin4aTA
Not anymore. they stopped that 2-3 years ago to cut down broken trannies.
Um auctually they stopped shifting because of a new transmission and final drive rule to limit RPM's... 1.28 is the highest 3rd gear you can have no more overdrives... broken transmissions were never an issue
Old 09-23-2007, 11:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
I believe the HARDEST MOTORSPORT on Earth is Nascar Cup Racing...endurance is a large portion of it, along with side to side racing around banked corners at 180 MPH...... DRAG RACING is hard, and they are talented...but put a CUP driver in a Dragster and after a few tries[if they don't kill themselves] they WILL get a DECENT time/mph..........put John Force in a cup car and he would be lucky to make it 50 laps at PHOENIX RACEWAY....which has to be the worst/boring/easiest track on the circuit...

The hardest motorsport? Have you ever heard of a little thing called the BAJA 1000??? NASCAR is ***** **** compared to that. The endurance required of of man and machine is unreal in BAJA. Not to mention, it takes at least twice the driver skill to win those races
Old 09-24-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LivingCanvas
The hardest motorsport? Have you ever heard of a little thing called the BAJA 1000??? NASCAR is ***** **** compared to that. The endurance required of of man and machine is unreal in BAJA. Not to mention, it takes at least twice the driver skill to win those races
Twice the tallet? If that was true then Jimmy Johnson and Robby Gordon should of won every NASCAR race they have entered...I love off road racing, Im around it all the time heck we have a Krieger class 1 buggy in our shop rightnow but saying it takes twice the tallent is false.The car control displayed by off road drivers such as those two listed is incrediable but every form of competition has its difficulties...F1 Drag racing NASCAR... its skill and bigger ***** than anyone here has...
Old 09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know Robby Gordon as my uncle has crew chiefed for his off road team before. He is a talentless hack and a whiney baby. Thats all I wanted to say about that. haha

But yeah I agree that there is hard compition in NASCAR, but turning left will never impress me.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Ok, I just realized something. What in the hell is the point of tube-chassis, 800+hp cars barely doing 200mph on some tracks. They were doing that in REAL cars with almost half the horsepower back in the early 70's. Superbird anyone?
Superbird's and Daytona's ran 426 Hemis without a restrictor plate. While they held the record top speeds for a while, new technology and aerodynamics caught-up to NASCAR by 1986. With Bill Elliott sitting on the Daytona pole at 212mph, the restrictor plate came into existence to limit the speeds at Talledega and Daytona. Without the plates, you'd easily see mid-220mph lap speeds.

As for NASCAR, they need to do something different, because it's going to so far into the wrong direction. The COT sucks major ***, too much corporate bullshit, and just let the drivers be themselves. I remember Dale, Jr. getting fined for saying, "****, Daddy won here 7 times". That's Dale and that's NASCAR. Don't restrict everything!!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger in NASCAR trim, but don't do all the aero "tricks" that they do now. Ever see the front end of a NASCAR Dodge Charger??? How is that anything near resembling the stock car??? Stickers or not, it's all a joke. I used to watch NASCAR too, but I find it very boring.
Old 09-25-2007, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
Superbird's and Daytona's ran 426 Hemis without a restrictor plate. While they held the record top speeds for a while, new technology and aerodynamics caught-up to NASCAR by 1986. With Bill Elliott sitting on the Daytona pole at 212mph, the restrictor plate came into existence to limit the speeds at Talledega and Daytona. Without the plates, you'd easily see mid-220mph lap speeds.

As for NASCAR, they need to do something different, because it's going to so far into the wrong direction. The COT sucks major ***, too much corporate bullshit, and just let the drivers be themselves. I remember Dale, Jr. getting fined for saying, "****, Daddy won here 7 times". That's Dale and that's NASCAR. Don't restrict everything!!

I wouldn't mind seeing the Mustang/Camaro/Challenger in NASCAR trim, but don't do all the aero "tricks" that they do now. Ever see the front end of a NASCAR Dodge Charger??? How is that anything near resembling the stock car??? Stickers or not, it's all a joke. I used to watch NASCAR too, but I find it very boring.
+1

And you could actually BUY something PRETTY CLOSE to the NASCAR Plymouth....

If you ask me, they should go back to Homologation rules like they used to. I don't think NASCAR has to worry about any of the manufacturers pulling out anymore, the series is too good of an advertising medium.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Launching!

Anyone who says they dont like NASCAR cause it doesnt take anything to turn left and its boring just make me laugh. Cup cars are a lot harder to drive and actually take finesse and talent to drive. F1 cars have so much downforce and traction control and all that good stuff the electronics drive the cars for them. I remember an Iroc race a few years ago around the Infield roadcourse at Daytona where Tony Stewart domintated. There were a quite a few drivers from every aspect of racing in that race and many different forms a road racing represented and they couldnt compete with a NASCAR driver in a indentically prepared car. I guess all I can do is laugh when people really have no idea what they are talking about when they say NASCAR just cause they dont understand anything about it. I think the only person here that knows a lot about it and I am sure knows a lot more than I do is CTSMechanic.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

All forms of racing require a great deal of endurance and talent, so making blanket statements comparing one form to the other is pointless. "Twice the driver skill"? You are comparing apples to oranges here and making unjustified conclusions. The rides are different, the skills required are different, the terrain is different, and the competition is different. By your logic a BAJA champion could step right into a Nascar Cup team and dominate, since he would have "twice the skill".
Old 09-30-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive done both (at an amature level), and in my experience, BAJA is harder.

What makes NASCAR difficult to win is the competition, because everyone is running relatively the same car is such close proximity. Its not hard to pilot the course, or pilot the car around an oval.

Just my opinion. I dont like any oval course racing. Too boring to me.

I only like drag racing because it approximates how you compete out on the street
Old 10-01-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Ive done both (at an amature level), and in my experience, BAJA is harder.

What makes NASCAR difficult to win is the competition, because everyone is running relatively the same car is such close proximity. Its not hard to pilot the course, or pilot the car around an oval.

Just my opinion. I dont like any oval course racing. Too boring to me.

I only like drag racing because it approximates how you compete out on the street
I will give MAJOR props to the offroad racers... I got to ride in Our class 1 buggy this last weekend for the S.N.O.R.E race.. WOW what a rush something about 100 plus MPH down a gravel road over ditches through wash's

Quick Reply: NASCAR is a joke