Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GTR Unveiled

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Why cant they just stop the game and come out with an english version of the graph, and stop all the specualtion. If the car is really that great, just spill the beans. People will want it anyway.
They will in time, the car just came out in its home market, they come first.
It would actually really be easy to translate the graph to hp/tq. Torque is in blue and measured in NM, and power is in red measured in KW.
1 NM = .74 ft.lbs
1 KW = 1.3410 HP
You can make your own graph with that.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who the **** needs 2 clutches.
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
that ugly POS that doesn't even look like a real Skyline.
And it shouldn't! becuase it's not one.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by DBL_TKE
LOL, that was good.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

For some reason nissan thinks it is
http://www.gtrnissan.com/index.en.us...mepage.Home.P2
Old 11-04-2007, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
It's whatever they want to call it... Will it be badged or designated as Skyline on the car or anywhere on paper? I thought it was just GTR.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
You do realize that the Skyline and the GT-R are now two different cars right? In the past the GT-R was just a tuned version of the Skyline. If you've noticed, Nissan has now officially dropped the "Skyline" moniker for the GT-R. It is no longer based on the sedan chassis like before.The GT-R has been designed from the ground up, it has a new chassis and has the new VR38DETT engine that is derived from the Nissan R390.

BTW I never once saw the name "Skyline" used to signify the new GTR on the web site. It's possible that I may have missed it though.

One last thing though, Nissan is giving dealerships the option of putting the "Skyline" name on the car for heritage purposes only since people are used to the GTR being a derivative of the Skyline. That however does NOT mean that the GTR is a skyline. It is officially the GT-R with no ties to the Skyline.

That being said the GT-R has grown on me. When the Prototype debuted I didn't like it at all but now it's starting to sink in and I actually think it's a very nice car.
Old 11-04-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You do realize that the Skyline and the GT-R are now two different cars right? In the past the GT-R was just a tuned version of the Skyline. If you've noticed, Nissan has now officially dropped the "Skyline" moniker for the GT-R. It is no longer based on the sedan chassis like before.The GT-R has been designed from the ground up, it has a new chassis and has the new VR38DETT engine that is derived from the Nissan R390.

BTW I never once saw the name "Skyline" used to signify the new GTR on the web site. It's possible that I may have missed it though.

One last thing though, Nissan is giving dealerships the option of putting the "Skyline" name on the car for heritage purposes only since people are used to the GTR being a derivative of the Skyline. That however does NOT mean that the GTR is a skyline. It is officially the GT-R with no ties to the Skyline.

That being said the GT-R has grown on me. When the Prototype debuted I didn't like it at all but now it's starting to sink in and I actually think it's a very nice car.
OMG. Lemme guess, the new Mazda MX-5 ISN'T a Miata, right? It's nothing but a name game. Why on earth would Nissan toss that kind of "heritage" down the drain by ditching the Skyline nameplate? That's almost as stupid as ditching the rest of the cars that were based off the Skyline platform, like the GTS etc. Oh yeah, let's just make this platform as expensive to build and buy parts for as we possibly can! lollerskatescopterssss....And for WHAT? A "Supercar" that costs more than the Z06(both for the consumer and the manufacturer), barely outperforms some of it's rivals, and destroys a half-Century of heritage in one fell swoop.

I swear Ghosn has some screws that came loose in his head over the last couple years...

Sorry guys, it just makes me a little red in the face when automakers act like stupid celebrities with regards to their choices in life....
Old 11-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Launching!

Wrong. The GTRs VR38DETT is derived from nothing. First off the VR engine int he older R390s are V8s...not V6s like this engine. The VR38 has similarities with the current VQ engines but it is NOT a VQ...the block/head/internals are different.

2nd Nissan is NOT giving the option to put the Skyline name on the GTR....it is SOLEY the GTR now.
Old 11-04-2007, 11:22 PM
Launching!

OMG. Lemme guess, the new Mazda MX-5 ISN'T a Miata, right? It's nothing but a name game. Why on earth would Nissan toss that kind of "heritage" down the drain by ditching the Skyline nameplate? That's almost as stupid as ditching the rest of the cars that were based off the Skyline platform, like the GTS etc. Oh yeah, let's just make this platform as expensive to build and buy parts for as we possibly can! lollerskatescopterssss....And for WHAT? A "Supercar" that costs more than the Z06(both for the consumer and the manufacturer), barely outperforms some of it's rivals, and destroys a half-Century of heritage in one fell swoop.

I swear Ghosn has some screws that came loose in his head over the last couple years...

Sorry guys, it just makes me a little red in the face when automakers act like stupid celebrities with regards to their choices in life....

The only heritage the Skyline has was that it was a relativly nice sporty/sedan that has been in production for many decades in japan. The GTR was really the only performance oriented version of it (GTSs were not that impressive....at all). This is also the first time Nissan is offering the car to the world....and as a TRUE super car. Its a step forward....not lateral like you are suggesting. The Skyline is not "dropped" either....its still there selling better then ever in Japan. This way the GTR can fully stretch its legs being designed from the ground up for one purpose....and the Skyline can continue what it always has.

Ghosn is one of the main reasons the GTR is alive again....with out him it likely would of died with the R34 and never have been brought here.

You really need to know Nissans history, what they have done in the past 10 years, and their current standing to fully appreciate what its happening...
Old 11-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Launching!

In Red.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
The only heritage the Skyline has was that it was a relativly nice sporty/sedan that has been in production for many decades in japan. The GTR was really the only performance oriented version of it (GTSs were not that impressive....at all). This is also the first time Nissan is offering the car to the world....and as a TRUE super car. Its a step forward....not lateral like you are suggesting. The Skyline is not "dropped" either....its still there selling better then ever in Japan. This way the GTR can fully stretch its legs being designed from the ground up for one purpose....and the Skyline can continue what it always has.

Ghosn is one of the main reasons the GTR is alive again....with out him it likely would of died with the R34 and never have been brought here.

You really need to know Nissans history, what they have done in the past 10 years, and their current standing to fully appreciate what its happening...
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a SUPER CAR, no more than I'd call a Corvette one. A fast and capable GT it sure is. Doesn't a super car usually imply something barely within reach due to money, limited availability, or both? Like the Veyron, SLR Mclaren, etc.

Didn't the Nissan R390 have a fully legal production model for the road? Now, that would seem like a supercar to me...
Old 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

I could have sworn the killing of the R34 was his fault. You are right though, they still are making Skylines on the G35 platform, but it is no longer shared with the GT-R. I just believe it is stupid to seperate a money-making platform into one money making platform and a complete loss-producing platform...that might not be entirely true, however, as Nissan IS charging a hefty fee to pick one up...my question is whether Nissan will lower the price of the car to Corvette range once they pay off their new factory?
Old 11-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I wouldn't go as far as to call it a SUPER CAR, no more than I'd call a Corvette one. A fast and capable GT it sure is. Doesn't a super car usually imply something barely within reach due to money, limited availability, or both? Like the Veyron, SLR Mclaren, etc.

Didn't the Nissan R390 have a fully legal production model for the road? Now, that would seem like a supercar to me...
Super car = Super Performance car. Z06 & GTR.
Exotic Car = Exspensive and hard to obtain car. Ferrari/Lambo/Bugatti/etc.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Launching!

I could have sworn the killing of the R34 was his fault. You are right though, they still are making Skylines on the G35 platform, but it is no longer shared with the GT-R. I just believe it is stupid to seperate a money-making platform into one money making platform and a complete loss-producing platform...that might not be entirely true, however, as Nissan IS charging a hefty fee to pick one up...my question is whether Nissan will lower the price of the car to Corvette range once they pay off their new factory?
It is priced actually cheaper then the Z06 in Japan. A direct conversion has the standard model coming in at $68,000 in Japan. It should cost close to that here...probably a a couple thousand more making it an even $70,000. Still cheaper then a Z06.
Old 11-05-2007, 03:28 PM
Launching!

I'd love to see this compete head to head with the C6R

http://www.nissangtrproto.com/2007/v...-on-the-track/
Old 11-05-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

I had always equated Super and Exotic myself, not because I think I'm right, just out of habit. You can't really define these terms so strictly yourself either, though.

Remember, there is alot of leeway with these words... There is no strict definition, usage varying widely. Here's one example of the definition:

Supercar is a term used for a high-end sports car, typically an exotic or rare one, whose performance is highly superior to that of its contemporaries. The proper application of the term is subjective and disputed, especially among enthusiasts. The use of the term is dependent on the era: a vehicle that is considered to be a supercar at one time may not retain its superiority in the future. The automotive press frequently calls new exotic cars "supercars".
Cars like the Veyron and Ultimate Aero are referred to as "supercars" by many automotive journals on the shelf right now, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are wrong either. You just can't state such usage as "agreed" meaning, or proper meaning, since there is very little agreement as to what a supercar is or isn't. However, most people's (experts' and reputable journalists' too) definition of a super car includes the attribute of $$$. That's why I personally do not see the GTR/Z06/911 as Super Cars though by no means do I state that as fact. In epistemology, to invalidate or vindicate an analytical statement (a statement T/F by definition), there must be a consensus on the lexical value of each word. With these words, there really isn't any right now.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd love to see this compete head to head with the C6R

http://www.nissangtrproto.com/2007/v...-on-the-track/
They can. They just need to join Le Mans.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I had always equated Super and Exotic myself, not because I think I'm right, just out of habit. You can't really define these terms so strictly yourself either, though.

Remember, there is alot of leeway with these words... There is no strict definition, usage varying widely. Here's one example of the definition:

Cars like the Veyron and Ultimate Aero are referred to as "supercars" by many automotive journals on the shelf right now, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are wrong either. You just can't state such usage as "agreed" meaning, or proper meaning, since there is very little agreement as to what a supercar is or isn't. However, most people's (experts' and reputable journalists' too) definition of a super car includes the attribute of $$$. That's why I personally do not see the GTR/Z06/911 as Super Cars though by no means do I state that as fact. In epistemology, to invalidate or vindicate an analytical statement (a statement T/F by definition), there must be a consensus on the lexical value of each word. With these words, there really isn't any right now.
Exotic cars can be super cars as well....the only criteria is super performance. I wouldnt call a rolls royce a super car....because it isn much of a performance car, but its definetly an exotic. And I wouldnt call a Z06 an exotic but its definetly a super car.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm going to have to slightly disagree with you on that one. A super car is an extremely high performance vehicle that is also highly refined. Ferrari, Porche (mainly Carrera GT), Bugatti, and Pagani Zonda come to mind. However exotic cars are classified solely because of price. True most super cars are also exotics, but not all exotics are super cars.

Quick Reply: GTR Unveiled