Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM to Set Up Research Center in Shanghai

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 06:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mzoomora
You are FUNNY!
I never post on Tundra, or any other foreign boards. I am not a troll like yourself. From the sounds of those posts they sound like very specific problems posted by owners, and the same problems by quite a few.

As far as the problems being taken care of by Toyota- doesnt seem that way for all of them. Reading through those posts seem like they are claiming there is no problem (kind of like you).

And as far as you not being against domestics- Please. I would bet that if you were to take a poll of everyone who reads the BS you spew the very large majority would agree that you are anti-domestic troll.

Go hang out on a Toyota forum and stop coming in here with your **** stirring bull ****. How sad must it be to continually come back with many different screen names after being banned?
I never said you post on the Tundra forums. I said you sound like the ones that come on there posing to have issues with the Tundra, trying to hold on to the only market segment you have left!

Im not against domestics. Ive owned an 89 mustang, 96 beretta, 99 Tahoe, 2001 Tahoe and tomorrow a 2007 Powerstroke 250. My response are to the ones that say, "Nippon this and Nippon that". If you would come to Houston, you will see thats who I hang around, mostly domestic.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
THIS is the bottom line that all of the import nameplate/transplant praising fanboyzz just cannot (or refuse to) understand.
Yes, I AM a PROUD "nationalist", and an unabashed, blatant "domestic fanboy" for this very reason (especially in "their" global economy!!).

I guess that they also root for foreign teams in international competitions, and our enemies in war??
Old 11-01-2007, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by modmotor
That's right "pissy", and don't you or your import/Nippon worshippers forget it!!!

If we ever get into another military war with his beloved Japan, who will he fight for??
Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Banned

That's right "pissy", and don't you and your import worshippers forget it!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Banned

That's right "pissy", and don't you or your import/Nippon worshippers forget it!!!

If we ever get into another military war with his beloved Japan, who will he fight for??
Ill fight with Godzilla till the
Old 11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Read again
okay?? There isn't an argument, american auto makers help this country more than any import brand ever will period Never will Toyota give this country what the AMERICAN companies do. You seemed to ignore half of what I say, and I repeat AGAIN that there is no talk of importing cars built in China, so READ my post again.

you also had no rebuttal to what mzoomora said:

Then there is the manipulation of the Yen to approx. 85% of its value to help Japan export products and parts for products to be assembled here. Then there is product dumping, which has been going on for a very long time.
is that giving to the american economy? is that helping out all these small towns that claim honda and toyota our 'godsends'?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I never said you post on the Tundra forums. I said you sound like the ones that come on there posing to have issues with the Tundra, trying to hold on to the only market segment you have left!

Im not against domestics. Ive owned an 89 mustang, 96 beretta, 99 Tahoe, 2001 Tahoe and tomorrow a 2007 Powerstroke 250. My response are to the ones that say, "Nippon this and Nippon that". If you would come to Houston, you will see thats who I hang around, mostly domestic.
even you are caught up in your own little lies and I won't believe anything you say......mzoomora caught you changing how many pounds you haul and now this....
BTW, going to pick up my new F350 Tuesday. Should make for a nice 4 car car hauler.
really?? so now you bought a F250 and a F350?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ChaseSS
even you are caught up in your own little lies and I won't believe anything you say......mzoomora caught you changing how many pounds you haul and now this....

250 not a 350. Ill post pics tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:24 PM
Banned

okay?? There isn't an argument, american auto makers help this country more than any import brand ever will period Never will Toyota give this country what the AMERICAN companies do. You seemed to ignore half of what I say, and I repeat AGAIN that there is no talk of importing cars built in China, so READ my post again.

you also had no rebuttal to what mzoomora said:

is that giving to the american economy? is that helping out all these small towns that claim honda and toyota our 'godsends'?
Once again.

But Philips said Honda, which has invested $6 billion in Ohio, has been a "godsend."

"It's hard to express what they mean to our economy," he said.

Foreign auto manufacturers have been economic angels to other small towns, too. The Toyota plant in Georgetown, Kentucky, provided funds to help build a new high school; the Mercedes plant in Vance, Alabama, has brought nearly 42,000 jobs to the area; BMW has invested more than $2 billion in its Spartanburg, South Carolina, facility. These are just several of many towns that understand what Honda means to Marysville. Learn about foreign auto plants in the U.S. »

While GM is closing plants, building sites in China and laying off 1000's of American workers, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes and Nissan are giving those small town families hope! Look how much they invest into the economy.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

Happen to look at the sales figures I posted for this month? Nippon ***
Old 11-01-2007, 08:36 PM
Banned

Ive provided pics of what I tow. Aint no lies here, parnter! Aint my fault your buddy cant add. Once again 55.5 x 55 = 3052 x 5 pallet = 15262 + trailor. If I hadnt provided proof, then you have every reason to deny anything that I have said. I also offer you to go in the Texas section and pose your doubts on the people that see me tow this daily.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Eventually China and Asia are going to represent the lion's share of support GM recieves financially, just as North America is a goldmine for Asian automakers. Automakers from all over the world are rushing to setup shop in China, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

What a strange world we live in eh?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TriShield
Eventually China and Asia are going to represent the lion's share of support GM recieves financially, just as North America is a goldmine for Asian automakers. Automakers from all over the world are rushing to setup shop in China, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

What a strange world we live in eh?

agreed.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:46 PM
Banned

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...22-07_0820.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...22-07_0816.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...22-07_0817.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ressida/T3.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ressida/T2.jpg

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...ressida/T1.jpg

Count if you must!
Old 11-01-2007, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ive provided pics of what I tow. Aint no lies here, parnter! Aint my fault your buddy cant add. Once again 55.5 x 55 = 3052 x 5 pallet = 15262 + trailor. If I hadnt provided proof, then you have every reason to deny anything that I have said. I also offer you to go in the Texas section and pose your doubts on the people that see me tow this daily.
thats not what I am talking about ! you said that you tow 15k on a daily basis and then you said 20k on a daily basis, then you said your were getting a F350 in several posts and now you are saying F250

EDIT: and yes I did look at the sale figures, of course toyotas sales are going to go up with the tundra after the sad excuse for a truck that they have been selling its no wonder this truck is selling better. It will be years before toyota MIGHT be able to take one of the big three, they are closest to Dodge but the new ram is supposed to out in 09 (?) since they have been running on their current platform since 03 which will make them even harder to catch. Back to the title of the thread: its good that GM is expanding their horizons and setting up a RESEARCH facility in China, its a smart move for the company... it benefits our economy very much if we can sell american brands in china

Last edited by ChaseSS; 11-01-2007 at 09:49 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 09:47 PM
14 Second Truck Club

thats not what I am talking about ! you said that you tow 15k on a daily basis and then you said 20k on a daily basis, then you said your were getting a F350 in several posts and now you are saying F250
As much as I enjoy pointing out his faults and mistakes, maybe we should just ignore him now. It is a battle of knowledge with an unarmed man.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread is as gay as a spring chicken!

GM is setting up a research facility to do only work with hybrid tech which will be applied to cars in the Asian market. GM builds cars in Asia and wants to plan for better sales in the future IN ASIA

Hybird tech isn't popular in the North American market. It is doubtful much learned from this facility will cross over into the USA.

Diesel is a much better application for the North American market. That would come from GM Powertrain Europe a Torino.

Even then it looks like GM is going for DI and HCCI next for the North American market.

I don't see why GM building this is going to be a problem.

Even if GM did it would just end up like EV1 as previously demostrated. GM stated it wouldn't go back to hybrid style drives in the US market.

Ok, lets just say GM does want to bring hybrid tech into the US. Wait! Chevy Volt! That is IC-electric. Would it be developed there? Too expensive for the Asian market to beta test it for the US market. Not really technically the hybrid drive they were talking about but still...

It is probable they might develop it there for the rich and bring it back. But unlikely, too much work for a low volume vehicle that won't make it due to the cost of its ~10,000 or more battery pack.

Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the rant.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:58 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Hybrids are a fad and bridge technology at best. The only thing that is a long-term positive from hybrids is battery technology. The Volt and other technologies similar to that are a step in the right direction- electric drive with a gasoline charging system for when you run low on charge. The main problem is price, hopefully that will come down with time. I would really like to see Hydrogen take off, but the infrastructure would be huge. At least E85 and hybrids are supported by the current infrastructure.
If their research in China leads to better battery technology that can be manufactured and applied in the US, then it is a definite positive.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Hybrids are a fad and bridge technology at best. The only thing that is a long-term positive from hybrids is battery technology. The Volt and other technologies similar to that are a step in the right direction- electric drive with a gasoline charging system for when you run low on charge. The main problem is price, hopefully that will come down with time. I would really like to see Hydrogen take off, but the infrastructure would be huge. At least E85 and hybrids are supported by the current infrastructure.
If their research in China leads to better battery technology that can be manufactured and applied in the US, then it is a definite positive.
What you just said is what makes me mad about electric cars.

It is the batteries. But can't it be solved? I think it could.

Electric cars cost less to run if you take away the consideration that the battery has finite life. Power companies can generate and distrib power much cheaper than any gas engine could make it. Slap 60% efficiency on that AFTER power generation by the utility and 1.5 ohm/mile transmission loss and the electric car still wins hands down.

Then, the next worst thing is that electric cars have a charge time.

Why the hell didn't they do the same deal as they did with electric fork lifts? Make the car so where the battery can be changed out easily with a lift and the gas stations host the fleets of batteries + charging. Solves the cost of battery life real fast. The companies could make more than the cost of the battery within the life span EASY.

That also solves the issue of charge time as well.
Oh wait that would be more work and since the cars are cheaper they would make less money.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

all of the pro american fanboi crap in this thread cracks me up.
complain about how much stuff costs, cry all over about how you ant to keep your hard earned, then try to tell companies they HAVE to produce cars here or it is unamerican? which way do you guys want it?
the options are simple and clear. you can either expect GM to deal with the north american unions demanding retarded amounts of money for largely unskilled labor, or you can buy more affordable cars produced or engineered at a lower cost over seas.
the US has become a payroll deathzone compared to the rest of the world. the real solution is for americans to realize that they are the market, and stop expecting the market to react to their crying.
GM and other companies are doing the right thing for their big picture and their investors by going overseas. until american labor dislodges it's collective head from it's rectum we can all expect to see a lot more moves like this from companies in all markets, not just automotive.

Quick Reply: GM to Set Up Research Center in Shanghai