Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2008 Cobalt SS Runs an 8:22 at Nurburgring

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 05:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
With the exception of ONEDUMBASSWS6 and a FEW other guys, you are one of the most closed-minded/biased people on this site. Just an observation...
With the exception of 25/45psi,pssonu,modmotor,etc. and a few others, you are one of the biggest import fanboys/defenders on this site. Just an observation.
So now it's "closed-minded/biased" to give kudos to GM/domestics on sucessfully competing with your sacred/precious import nameplates??
Sorry, but I will NEVER worship your imports (like you must).
Old 12-03-2007, 11:36 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by dailydriver
With the exception of 25/45psi,pssonu,modmotor,etc. and a few others, you are one of the biggest import fanboys/defenders on this site. Just an observation.
So now it's "closed-minded/biased" to give kudos to GM/domestics on sucessfully competing with your sacred/precious import nameplates??
Sorry, but I will NEVER worship your imports (like you must).
You're absolutely right, I am the biggest import fanboy in the whole world... . I don't understand how people like you can't understand the concept of "giving credit where credit is due." If I like a car that happens to be an import, I'm not gonna not like it because of that. I have absolutely no preference of the country my car comes from. I am partial to Honda/Nissan from prior experience, but I am FAR from a "fanboy." Of any nameplate.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Very cool....Wonder what these things will be doing in a few year's with some r&d behind that turbo.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:35 AM
14 Second Truck Club

You're absolutely right, I am the biggest import fanboy in the whole world... . I don't understand how people like you can't understand the concept of "giving credit where credit is due." If I like a car that happens to be an import, I'm not gonna not like it because of that. I have absolutely no preference of the country my car comes from. I am partial to Honda/Nissan from prior experience, but I am FAR from a "fanboy." Of any nameplate.
Then why dont you just give credit where it is due then? GM built a damn good car here but all you want to do is bash. Its not their fault that the GT3 is running with SEVERAL other cars that have 100 less hp and not its totally race bred pedigree. They built a small, well powered, great handling car and put it in the hands of a capable driver on a good day from what the numbers say. Get over it. You are the most closed minded person in this whole thread- unwilling to just admit that the new SS/TC is a nice car. Get over it.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Then why dont you just give credit where it is due then? GM built a damn good car here but all you want to do is bash. Its not their fault that the GT3 is running with SEVERAL other cars that have 100 less hp and not its totally race bred pedigree. They built a small, well powered, great handling car and put it in the hands of a capable driver on a good day from what the numbers say. Get over it. You are the most closed minded person in this whole thread- unwilling to just admit that the new SS/TC is a nice car. Get over it.
EXACTLY!! Thank you, mzoomora. It seems to really bother him when a domestic nameplate does well, or GM/domestics build a good/great car.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:26 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't understand this crap. The car ran a ******* 8:22, no if ands or buts about it.

That list on supercars is crap. Theres no such thing as a 993 GT3. So like I said, that was probably a RS or RSR car. No where NEAR 380hp, I don't know where you're getting your numbers.

A STOCK 993 911 Turbo did the ring at 8.12.

For added comparison, the official time of a stock S2000 was 8.38. Not sure why this is so hard to believe. Obviously GM did their homework on this, as they have with the past few nameplate cars.

Cadillac CTS V, Z06 etc. all the while still under development.

I agree the Cobalt is a toilet. But like I stated at the top of this thread, the bang for the buck is there, and GM is doing their homework. The numbers speak for themselves.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:33 PM
***Repost Police***

All I said was that I don't see how a 260hp 3100lb FWD car was running close to Callaway C12 times... if it really is running that well, good for it; it'll be nice to see a GM compact car that's actually capable of doing more than straightline stuff. daily... why is everything an "import vs. domestic" thing to you? Nothing I'm saying has a damn thing to do with the Cobalt being a domestic car. I'm going from power/weight figures. I guess we'll just have to see how much GM is under-rating this car. If it's acceleration really is equal to/better than the Boxster/Cayman, then I'd imagine it's closer to 250hp at the wheels, and not the crank.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:20 PM
14 Second Truck Club

All I said was that I don't see how a 260hp 3100lb FWD car was running close to Callaway C12 times... if it really is running that well, good for it; it'll be nice to see a GM compact car that's actually capable of doing more than straightline stuff. daily... why is everything an "import vs. domestic" thing to you? Nothing I'm saying has a damn thing to do with the Cobalt being a domestic car. I'm going from power/weight figures. I guess we'll just have to see how much GM is under-rating this car. If it's acceleration really is equal to/better than the Boxster/Cayman, then I'd imagine it's closer to 250hp at the wheels, and not the crank.
Given the choice I will buy a domestic car EVERY TIME. You know why? GM does more for my home country, employs more of my countrymen and has more stake in this country than any foreign automaker. I also have owned plenty of domestic cars and have had many a trouble free mile. Me and my brother bought similar cars and around the same time (98 Monte Carlo 3.8 and 98 Accord V6 coupe), and my domestic needed nothing while his Honda was on its 3rd transmission.

You are the goof that starts talking about giving credit where it is due but yet YOU REFUSE TO DO SO. You just keep comparing to 2 cars that had **** times on the list YOU CHOSE. You fail to acknowledge that the newer GT3 knocked 40 SECONDS off of the time you continually quoted, ever think that time is just a fluke?

I have said it before and will say it again- these time mean almost nothing. They are a good baseline for what the car MAY be capable of, but unless the laps are done in very similar condition, in a similar manner and with very similar drivers they can not be directly compared.

I love the part where you say "All I said was....."- Lets see-
"There is NO WAY that Cobalt ran that time."
"You guys are the biggest bunch of closed minded/biased people"
You also go on to say how the Cobalt doesnt have the power, but the other cars that "only have" just under 300hp are race bred and the Cobalt is an "econo box".

You have done nothing but talk **** but want to call other people closed minded. You want to put up all your facts but refuse to accept other peoples (that isnt how they run a lap, my list of times is widely accepted, blah, blah, blah....).

How about you open YOUR mind, SHUT your mouth and GET A CLUE.

And if you dont like my response just refer to -
With the exception of ONEDUMBASSWS6 and a FEW other guys, you are one of the most closed-minded/biased people on this site. Just an observation...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
14 Second Truck Club

I saw that you werent talking to me about the import domestic thing and changed my post.

And if it were a Civic I wouldnt care because unlike you I dont care that much about these times.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Given the choice I will buy a domestic car EVERY TIME. You know why? GM does more for my home country, employs more of my countrymen and has more stake in this country than any foreign automaker. I also have owned plenty of domestic cars and have had many a trouble free mile. -
I was talking to daily... not you.
Old 12-05-2007, 03:16 PM
12 Second Club

Given the choice I will buy a domestic car EVERY TIME. You know why? GM does more for my home country, employs more of my countrymen and has more stake in this country than any foreign automaker. I also have owned plenty of domestic cars and have had many a trouble free mile. Me and my brother bought similar cars and around the same time (98 Monte Carlo 3.8 and 98 Accord V6 coupe), and my domestic needed nothing while his Honda was on its 3rd transmission.
Again, thank you! This is exactly why I "turn everything into a domestic vs. import thing". I know it is very hard for the 'global economy rice generation' to accept/understand, but that's the way I feel. I DO NOT call the import nameplate cars "****, or no good", but I CANNOT support/buy them either. IF the Evo/STI were made by a U.S. nameplate manufacturer (or even IF the imports did not hurt the American mfgs./economy, like the '50s-'70s) I would be driving one right now (but NEVER a MKIV, just don't like them, no matter how "wicked fast").

11s; I DID NOT turn this into a personal attack on one person, the way you were compelled to out of the blue (in the name of import defense??).
Old 12-05-2007, 06:06 PM
***Repost Police***

lol... again with the "import defense" thing. How about this one... I exercise my God-given right as an American to buy whatever the hell I want to (whether it be import or domestic), and if US companies want my continued business, they need to make a product that I actually want to buy . Deal?
Old 12-06-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I take it you don't like the Mustang GT you're driving huh? That's about as American as you can get buddy! Seriously guys, the Cobalt SS ran an 8:22. There is no debsate about that number, it is official. I've never seen somebody so intent on calling a fast car crap before anyone has even driven the damn thing....You're the kinda guy who discounts an Omni GLHS just because it is ugly and American made and it's a K-car. Well you know what, that was one of the fastest cars in production in the 80's, and it was a K-car.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:52 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
I take it you don't like the Mustang GT you're driving huh? That's about as American as you can get buddy! Seriously guys, the Cobalt SS ran an 8:22. There is no debsate about that number, it is official. I've never seen somebody so intent on calling a fast car crap before anyone has even driven the damn thing....You're the kinda guy who discounts an Omni GLHS just because it is ugly and American made and it's a K-car. Well you know what, that was one of the fastest cars in production in the 80's, and it was a K-car.
WHEN THE **** DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEING "CRAP?" I just said the numbers don't add up. Would ya'll be so gung-ho about it if it was the new RSX-S or Civic Si with 250hp that ran an 8:22? And the whole point of my last post is that I buy what I want/need... I wanted/needed a RWD car with torque. So I bought this car. I take no consideration into where it was made, or where the company is based that markets the car. I would be saying this same thing about this 8:22 no matter what car it was, as long as it was FWD, 3,100lbs, and 250hp. Do you understand now?

Last edited by Irunelevens; 12-08-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I dont think IRun is defending imports as much as he is concerned about the numbers that teh cobalt ran. I dont see the issue with them but he dose. He said a few times about the Callaway C12 and that aint a import so he is just in search of the truth in his own mind. There is alot of times on that list that make u wonder. The STI is a few secs behind the SS but a c12 is slower. I would pay that advantage to teh driver being in a 20k dollar car adn not havin to worry about not being invited back to work if he wrecks the car as it aint in the 100,000$ range like the C12.
With a track that big its tough to be the best driver in every corner. It appears a couple cars got lucky while a couple others got scared. I wish i didnt have 100 cars on my lisdt of To Buys so i coudl get this. GL

John
Old 12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

WHEN THE **** DID I SAY ANYTHING ABOUT IT BEING "CRAP?" I just said the numbers don't add up. Would ya'll be so gung-ho about it if it was the new RSX-S or Civic Si with 250hp that ran an 8:22? And the whole point of my last post is that I buy what I want/need... I wanted/needed a RWD car with torque. So I bought this car. I take no consideration into where it was made, or where the company is based that markets the car. I would be saying this same thing about this 8:22 no matter what car it was, as long as it was FWD, 3,100lbs, and 250hp. Do you understand now?
Most people on here would not be all cheery rooty for a Civic Type R or whatever, but we would certainly be amazed and give credit where credit is due. The SS/TC is really only getting a little bit more praise than usual because GM hasn't really been a player in this field in a while. The same goes for the *****. Most car enthusiasts were pleased to see the return of a turbocharged 4-banger that was affordable and not too slow.

The numbers don't have to "add up" because they were taken with a stopwatch. Deal with it. Chevrolet has some of the best racecar drivers on the planet on their payroll. Take into consideration that these guys can do things with FWD cars that you can only dream of. These guys know how to exploit the SS/TC's strengths and eliminate it's weaknesses to a degree bordering on perfection. I don't think it should even be a question whether or not these times are real if you only take in the positive factors behind the run.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:50 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
Most people on here would not be all cheery rooty for a Civic Type R or whatever, but we would certainly be amazed and give credit where credit is due. The SS/TC is really only getting a little bit more praise than usual because GM hasn't really been a player in this field in a while. The same goes for the *****. Most car enthusiasts were pleased to see the return of a turbocharged 4-banger that was affordable and not too slow.

The numbers don't have to "add up" because they were taken with a stopwatch. Deal with it. Chevrolet has some of the best racecar drivers on the planet on their payroll. Take into consideration that these guys can do things with FWD cars that you can only dream of. These guys know how to exploit the SS/TC's strengths and eliminate it's weaknesses to a degree bordering on perfection. I don't think it should even be a question whether or not these times are real if you only take in the positive factors behind the run.
Like I said, I can give credit where credit is due. That's a really good time, and it's good to see that they actually are making a good car overall. Looks like I'll have to go drive one of these when they get to dealerships

Edit: And thank you, 99SS-T... atleast somebody understands where I'm coming from.
Old 12-09-2007, 07:56 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Different drivers, different days, always varying conditions.

You could be on the ring in the sun at one part of the track, and then have rain on another part of the track. Pretty common thing... Just crazy weather in general. That and the fact that there is always traffic to some degree.

Of course all these times you see listed are subject to the varying conditions.
Old 12-10-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope GM put as much effort into NVH and reliability as they did for this test. Until they improve those things, we should reserve kudos until a few are on the street for awhile.

An Indy car would smoke this thing, but then, it's only good for 500 miles--unless it's a Honda-based Indy Car, which is good for maybe up to 1000.

As for the Cobalt: It's still a Cavalier; it's still ugly. But I like where GM's headed with this!
Old 12-10-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LTSpeed
I hope GM put as much effort into NVH and reliability as they did for this test. Until they improve those things, we should reserve kudos until a few are on the street for awhile.

An Indy car would smoke this thing, but then, it's only good for 500 miles--unless it's a Honda-based Indy Car, which is good for maybe up to 1000.

As for the Cobalt: It's still a Cavalier; it's still ugly. But I like where GM's headed with this!
Have you been in a new Cobalt before?
They are as much a Cavalier as the C5 Corvette is the C6 Corvette.
While I would never buy one (it is ugly, and wrong-wheel-drive) its not that bad of a car, much rather have one than a Honda/Scion/Mitsu of the same class.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cobalt SS Runs an 8:22 at Nurburgring