Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

The all out anti american toyota commercials

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 09:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For every 1 vehicle GM builds in Mexico, they build 7 in Canada.
For every 1 vehicle GM builds in Canada, they build 4 in the USA.

GM's North American production, in percentages:
3% Mexico, 19% Canada, 78% USA

For every 1 American employed by Toyota, there are 12 employed by GM.

And here's a couple more Silverado vs Tundra videos for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6TuPIipMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OidWhavBmUA
Old 01-03-2008, 11:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28

And here's a couple more Silverado vs Tundra videos for ya:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH6TuPIipMQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OidWhavBmUA
Some of the people in the first link are commenting about it being fake because they heard tyre squealing and they can't get their trucks to do that on the road.

They fail to realise it is a special low friction surface the trucks are being tested on and the Toyota's traction sysyem wasn't calibrated for that.

Import people will defend with any BS they can make up.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:08 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28

Can you site your source for this? Not calling BS, I'm a newspaper reporter and would like to do something in my paper about this.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Can you site your source for this? Not calling BS, I'm a newspaper reporter and would like to do something in my paper about this.
if you want some quality facts look at most of mzoomora posts in this forum, specifically the ones in the 'toyota' threads... there have been several heated arguments and I have found that he argues with only facts and produces the sources to prove them and makes some damn good arguments. I would love to see an article in any paper that exploits this ridiculous favoritism some americans have towards foreign automakers. The media is half the problem in this equation, any bad news about any of the big 3 makes the front page... but nothing ever surfaces about the japanese companies which is why no one ever hears about there frequent/ridiculous 'service campaigns' a.k.a. recalls and everyone thinks they are this glorious company and the big 3 are evil... but like i was saying mzoomora has successfully defeated all the import fanboyz that come on this forum p.s. mzoomora thanks for putting them in their place
Old 01-04-2008, 07:07 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by qwikz28
and then there are the issues with exploiting workers in japan, labor unions and labor laws in america, and of course the exchange rate of currency. with these factors considered, we should be blaming the japanese for not making cars comparable to the europeans at the prices they charge!

I agree that GM has been behind the 8 ball for a long time due to expensive labor contracts. Toyota has had the advantage of much cheaper labor/current & retired employee costs, yet still GM has remained competitive over the decades, and is now pulling ahead in quality.

If anything, I think that shows Toyota as the inferior company. They had/have the advantage, but they still couldn't/can't put GM away for the kill.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
What gets old is people buying **** made in China, Japan or otherwise instead of buying products made in America. You can spin the "but Toyota vehicles are made in America too" stunt all you want, but when it comes down to it which company is truly American owned and operated? If that doesn't do it for you, which company do you expect to stop vehicle production for the production of US war planes, US tanks or US otherwise in a time of war? Buy GM, Ford or Chrysler because you're a loyal American and want to support America and the American manufacturing industry. Watch those videos and "I say good day!"

Is everything you buy made in America? Tv's, dvd players, microwave's, fridge, toys for kids, etc etc?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:13 AM
TECH Resident

Is everything you buy made in America? Tv's, dvd players, microwave's, fridge, toys for kids, etc etc?
Should be! Who knows what kind of stuff Foreign companies put in their products.

And heres a list of list of the toys. Source: local TV station:

In light of the recall of nearly 1 million Chinese-produced toys tainted with lead paint, below is a list of toys made in the USA:

• Battleship
• Bicycle Playing Cards
• Boggle Jr.
• Candyland
• Chutes and Ladders
• Clue
• Connect Four
• Crayola Crayons *
• Life
• Louisville Slugger
• Monopoly
• Mouse Trap
• Operation
• Parcheesi
• Play-Doh *
• Pop-O-Matic Trouble
• Radio Flyer Discovery Wagon
• Scrabble
• Sorry
• Stratego
• Tri-ominos
• Trivial Pursuit
• Yahtzee
• Melissa and Doug U.S.A. Floor Puzzle (Most puzzles are made in the USA!)

* Note: Not all packages of Crayola Crayons and Play-Doh are made in the USA -- please check the label.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Originally Posted by 68chevypu
wow, just wow.
OSUbrandon; people buy **** made in China/Japan because the same american made product is more expensive. Before you get upset at the poeple buying **** they can afford, get mad at the american company/workforce that overvalues itself. And please tell me what company is actually American owned AND operated? They may be owned by americans but the factories are not always operated by americans. As for american companies making war supplies, yes they have done that IN THE BIGGEST CONFLICT THE US HAS EVER FOUGHT. If toyota had plants in the US in the 30-40's they probably would have too. Fact is they had no factories. Thats a dumb arguement.
No, everything I purchase is not made here because the manufacturing industry we once had that produced these items are now out of business. Why are they out of business? Because communist/third world countries can produce the same technology (AFTER WE DEVELOP IT) at a fraction of the price. Do you know why they can do it at a fraction of the price? Because they pay their workers a fraction of the price, and don't submit to the same safety, environmental, and labor laws we do. It's pretty easy to purchase that 15 dollar dvd player when you are hundreds of miles away from the guy who built it, who actually lives off the same 15 dollars for an entire month. It's time for people to wake up to this notion: America produces products that are more expensive because they can't get away with child labor, 90c a day pay checks or otherwise. We also don't have a government that dictates who will work in what industry, how long and for what wages. You can't possibly justify your Kia Rio or Airbus plane ticket purchase with some "American products are too expensive" rhetoric. When your skills, know how or job become outsourced to other countries who have laborers that will work for a fraction of the salary you do, will you suddenly key into the importance of doing, buying and breathing American -EVERYTHING-?
Old 01-04-2008, 09:49 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by OSUBraden
No, everything I purchase is not made here because the manufacturing industry we once had that produced these items are now out of business. Why are they out of business? Because communist/third world countries can produce the same technology (AFTER WE DEVELOP IT) at a fraction of the price. Do you know why they can do it at a fraction of the price? Because they pay their workers a fraction of the price, and don't submit to the same safety, environmental, and labor laws we do. It's pretty easy to purchase that 15 dollar dvd player when you are hundreds of miles away from the guy who built it, who actually lives off the same 15 dollars for an entire month. It's time for people to wake up to this notion: America produces products that are more expensive because they can't get away with child labor, 90c a day pay checks or otherwise. We also don't have a government that dictates who will work in what industry, how long and for what wages. You can't possibly justify your Kia Rio or Airbus plane ticket purchase with some "American products are too expensive" rhetoric. When your skills, know how or job become outsourced to other countries who have laborers that will work for a fraction of the salary you do, will you suddenly key into the importance of doing, buying and breathing American -EVERYTHING-?
Some of these people also need to look into manipulated exchange rates, product dumping, unfair trade practices (tariffs, etc), lower product standards, lower quality of life, foreign child labor laws (or lack of) and just flat out dirty business practices.

My friends father worked for Zenith back in the day. He said they had all sorts or documentation that proved they were dumping product (selling at little to no profit to drive competition out of business) and that they were reverse engineering (really copying) American made products. They would examine imported products and find that they were even copying their intentional mistakes. They would install parts that did nothing or intentionally use strange parts so they could check to see if the competition was copying them- and the foreign competition was.

Buying imported products when you have no choice is one thing, but intentionally buying Asian products when you do have a choice (and a better one) is economic treason. I have Japanese relatives who dont buy Japanese cars. You know why? Because they dont buy into the BS.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

^That is really fascinating (and ******* sad), I'd love to see some of their reports showing the international competition was copying even the phony parts (if you can get your hands on them that is). Sigh.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Regular

I remember reading about a case in China where a chinese automaker was producing cars that were so similar to its GM competitors that the body panels from the chinese car would bolt onto the GM car. The copyright laws in China are non-existent from what I understand.

The copying of ideas/design cues really makes me angry. Next time you see a Lexus, Acura or Infinity ask yourself does it remind you of a BMW or a Mercedes Benz?

Another point... "For every 100 vehicles GM sells in the US, we support 23 american jobs, twice as many as our foreign competitors." - Gary Cowger GM Vice President Global manufacturing and Labour - Printed in Hot Rod Magazine - Pg. 36 March 2006

I would love to see this commercial... It most likely won't air in Canada. Anybody have a link?

Last edited by CanuckSS; 01-04-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sharpe
Approximate percentages based on production numbers, and employee counts ...all available on GM's website.
Old 01-05-2008, 02:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Oh boy, here we go with the "if everything you can buy is not made here, then NOTHING matters", ****.
Like others have said, at least buy products that you still have a choice of being made here, or by an American company.

Let's say you were in a plane wreck, on a deserted island, or some remote area. Somehow your one finger got gangrene from your infected, untreated wound.
Then you were found/rescued. The treating doctors told you that they would have to amputate the rancid finger to save the rest of your hand.
Do you say to the doctor, "No, that's OK doc, just cut off the WHOLE arm, I don't need it anyway."?????!!
That's what you are saying with the 'it dosen't matter because we can't buy other consumer goods made here anymore' arguement.
I guess we should just hand Japan/Asia the whole damned country because we can't buy any more electronics made here, right?

Even though one of our resident import fanboyz thinks it's "entertaining", I will say it again, HAVE FUN PAYING $60K+ FOR THAT F'ING CAMRY WHEN IT IS ALL YOU CAN BUY (like the electronics).
So much for his 'capitalism'.

Last edited by dailydriver; 01-05-2008 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by diambo4life
In this case, alot of people seem to be buying Toyotas because they like them. Toyota seems to be doing a very good job making sure they do so.
Buying them because they like them, or because they feel that is all they are 'allowed' to buy or all that they are given 'permission' to buy from their shlemming neighbors, or the BIASED media??
Yes, you are right, your precious TOY does "make sure they do so" by controlling the ad media and bombarding the sheeple with sooo many of those ads they probably think it really IS the only car they can buy.

If anyone read the news today, Toyota is now the #2 automaker in the U.S. Just passed Ford.
Of course, you are just overjoyed at this news, and are salivating at the prospect of your Nippon Giant overtaking (and even putting out of business) GM, right??

I must be mistaken, I guess Toyota brings Japanese workers into this country to work on their cars too?
Actually, they do for some operations. But even concerning the 'rank and file' floor workers, GM by themselves, let alone combined with the other domestic manufacturers/nameplates, employ MANY TIMES the U.S. citizen workers that your TOY (or even your TOY combined with the other foreign companies) ever could.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 68chevypu
If toyota had plants in the US in the 30-40's they probably would have too.
Yup, you're right, they would have armed us to defeat themselves!
I could only wish/hope that your Nippons were that imbecilic!
Did anyone else catch this ingenious statement??

Let me guess; you work for them in the San Antone Tundra plant, right? Or is it the Indiana Camry plant?
Old 01-05-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

How is it anti-American?

Obviously their crap and propaganda for their trucks just like all other car commercials but thats besides the point,their showing fords,chevy's etc getting destroyed because their the main competition...I don't know why the blazer though,maybe because their popular or because they found out SUV owners want trucks IDK.Either way if Germany made the best trucks or japan we will be seeing their trucks destroyed.

Their Commercials may suck but is not anti-American IMO.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Those commercials seem to advocate insurance fraud. What law-abiding person decides to destroy their vehicle just to get a new one? I would just trade in my supposedly inferior old American vehicle for a new supposedly superior Toyota one.
Toyotathon Phenomenon= felony
Old 01-05-2008, 07:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by CanuckSS
I remember reading about a case in China where a chinese automaker was producing cars that were so similar to its GM competitors that the body panels from the chinese car would bolt onto the GM car. The copyright laws in China are non-existent from what I understand.

The copying of ideas/design cues really makes me angry. Next time you see a Lexus, Acura or Infinity ask yourself does it remind you of a BMW or a Mercedes Benz?

Another point... "For every 100 vehicles GM sells in the US, we support 23 american jobs, twice as many as our foreign competitors." - Gary Cowger GM Vice President Global manufacturing and Labour - Printed in Hot Rod Magazine - Pg. 36 March 2006

I would love to see this commercial... It most likely won't air in Canada. Anybody have a link?
That is true. If I used Chineese toothpaste and it killed me my remaining family couldn't sue the manufacturer in China. Even if you could you would pretty much have to sue who owns most of China.... The government/military.

I am sure when you get off the plane to go to court they will greet you with tanks and machine guns.

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Some of these people also need to look into manipulated exchange rates, product dumping, unfair trade practices (tariffs, etc), lower product standards, lower quality of life, foreign child labor laws (or lack of) and just flat out dirty business practices.

My friends father worked for Zenith back in the day. He said they had all sorts or documentation that proved they were dumping product (selling at little to no profit to drive competition out of business) and that they were reverse engineering (really copying) American made products. They would examine imported products and find that they were even copying their intentional mistakes. They would install parts that did nothing or intentionally use strange parts so they could check to see if the competition was copying them- and the foreign competition was.

Buying imported products when you have no choice is one thing, but intentionally buying Asian products when you do have a choice (and a better one) is economic treason. I have Japanese relatives who dont buy Japanese cars. You know why? Because they dont buy into the BS.
That's very common anymore and I argee with you. I have seen that time and time again. Especially with things like electric motors. Certain machining marks that had no purpose or "mistakes" were found in Oriental motors one of my friends took apart. The Oriental company in question was trying to compete with his American company by simply profiteering off having no investment in research and lower labour costs.

That totally slaughters the industry. Who wants to go through the expense to invent something when a renegade could take your idea and cut your throat?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you care about your country just try to buy as much american made stuff as you can........if not its not a big deal
Old 01-06-2008, 01:57 AM
TECH Regular

wow.. people should buy whatever is best for them period, all these companies pay taxes and america benifits from that, if there was not competition that everything would be crappy....if cars are made in mexico or canada is because that sames money for the consumers that buy the products....

toyota sucks im my opinion and lots op people that buy them, buy them because of resale value etc, now that makes me mad...i personally try to buy american made cars but i like some imports.....the comercials suck but hey thats what they have to do to sell than so be it..id rather watch dale jr in the corvette singing with his crappy voice......

i believe that people that have skills and have a hard work ethic will find jobs anyware, i dont mind giving job to mexicans canadians or anybody, at the end of the day its these desicions strategies that make goods affordable for the rest of us.....illegal immigrants, outsourcing, contracting they are all done for a reason by economists to make goods cheaper for us and if you dont believe what i say then imagine buying groceries at the store one day and it being 10 times what it normally is and not being able to afford food for your family.....then you would probably appreciate immigrants, and others......we are all vital pieces of this motor the feeds our economy like it or not......

Quick Reply: The all out anti american toyota commercials