Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

End of the V8 in USA

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up

The irony is, some V8s (even really potent ones) deliver AMAZING fuel economy anyway.
My Corvette (6 speed automatic) was getting 31mpg at over 70mph on the highway a few weeks, crazy stuff for a 400hp car.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WECIV
That these new measures start their slow roll into effect in 2011 is disgusting. Our government and its PEOPLE needs to be thinking strategically and not just for their own ******* re-elections and self-interest. We do not need to be spending 850 million a day on foreign oil when we could make a good deal of our energy at home...and create jobs for the poor, endangered, American worker.

Ppl should be mad about how ******* long this thing will take to be fully enacted...not mad that we are doing something about it.

W
I'm curious - how do you plan to accomplish this? Where are all the oil fields that we aren't using? Or, are you referring to Ethanol? That's not a solution to reducing foreign oil. Do you know how much corn would need to be grown to even make a dent in foreign oil? Please explain your thinking. How will not buying foreign oil help? Where do you think the refineries in the US will get the crude that is needed?
Old 01-23-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
The irony is, some V8s (even really potent ones) deliver AMAZING fuel economy anyway.
My Corvette (6 speed automatic) was getting 31mpg at over 70mph on the highway a few weeks, crazy stuff for a 400hp car.
i agree even with slight mods to my car like full exhaust intake and even stepping up to 3.73's in the rear end has boosted my mileage

on the highway cruising at about 70-80 my car usually averages about 27-30 which is no different than my 1998 olds intrigue which has the series II 3800
Old 01-23-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
I'm curious - how do you plan to accomplish this? Where are all the oil fields that we aren't using? Or, are you referring to Ethanol? That's not a solution to reducing foreign oil. Do you know how much corn would need to be grown to even make a dent in foreign oil? Please explain your thinking. How will not buying foreign oil help? Where do you think the refineries in the US will get the crude that is needed?
Electric cars, no oil nor gas needed. Problem solved. And people could still have their weekend cars like v8's, they could be recreational like snowmobile's. And the money you'll be saving on gas you could use to mod or do w/e you want to the car
Old 01-23-2008, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Lock this thread!
Old 01-23-2008, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WECIV
We may need need Turbo Ecotec camaro's to lower those averages, LOL.

W
Not the worst idea I've ever heard. In fact, I'd buy one over a V6 any day.

Turbo 4= lighter than V6 or V8, but with comparable performance to the six+gas mileage of a turbo 4.

I REALLY like that idea. I think that a turbo four, a high feature V6, a t'diesel V8, and a MONSTER s'charged gasser V8 to top it all off would make for one HELL of a lineup. The car would be performance-oriented, yet green as hell at the same time.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mavmavv
I really dont understand why we dont have more Diesel vehicles on the road. Europe has small diesel cars getting close to 60MPG on the freeway, sign me up for one of those for the DD and keep my V8 for the weekend/track.
Exactly, can still have v8's on the side as your fun car, but it's long overdue that they give us more gas economical cars, do you guys like throwing money away on gas that you could have kept in your pocket? How much do you guys think you spend a month on average? I see these v8's as nothing more than toys, do you really want a load of v8's on the highway guzzling up gas rather than more gas economical cars?

I don't see why they can't make a few sports cars, and a lot of gas economical cars (a lot more gas economical than todays standards because todays standards suck, gas prices are crazy today). I'm honestly still anxiously waiting the plug in electric car, that will probably pay itself off monthly. It would probably pay your loan off for you, and you can have your v8 on the side to use when ever you want, and have a lot more money left over in your pocket monthly. Is gas economy really such a bad thing? It's their choice to stop making v8's, I think they're just using scare tactics because they don't like being told what to do, why can't they keep some v8 sports cars or w/e the market wants and to offset their average mpg's offer some electric cars..infinity mpg, that outta offset their mpg average right?

It's long overdue that they give us choices for better gas economy cars. It would probably benefit them in the long run because ppl will have money left over in their pockets from saving on gas that they could afford to buy newer cars more often.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Electric cars, no oil nor gas needed. Problem solved. And people could still have their weekend cars like v8's, they could be recreational like snowmobile's. And the money you'll be saving on gas you could use to mod or do w/e you want to the car
'cept for the fact that electric cars have a range of about 5 miles and still burn fossil fuels (coal, or "worse" Nuclear (not "fossil", I know)), they just centralize the burning to the power plants.

Plus, what happens to them in the long term? Batteries are not that easy to dispose of in an environmentally friendly fashion. What happens in a wreck? (between the spilled acid and potential high voltage arcing through the vehile, it would be tough for rescue workers and tow truck drivers) What happens to re-sale value? What happens with repair costs post-warranty? You'll be stuck in a perpetual lease, constantly upgrading to stay within the warranty period and because you don't be able to re-sell anything.

All get's back to too many people. lol Fewer people, less demand, cheaper prices. No matter what gets used, it'll always be a strain because of the scary population growth rate (increasingly as liberals handout industry to 3rd world nations).
Old 01-23-2008, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Exactly, can still have v8's on the side as your fun car, but it's long overdue that they give us more gas economical cars, do you guys like throwing money away on gas that you could have kept in your pocket? How much do you guys think you spend a month on average?
$30,000 for a hybrid that gets MAYBE 30mpg on average, or $500 for an old gas burner that gets 17?

At even $4 per gallon, you could drive 125,375 miles before you reached the cost of that hybrid.

Gas cars are easier to make last longer, cheaper and easier to maintain, easier to dispose of and recycle, and hold resale value better.

Of course that goes for diesel and ethanol too. The point is non-hybrid, non-plug in, Internal Combustion Engines.
Old 01-23-2008, 02:55 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mavmavv
I really dont understand why we dont have more Diesel vehicles on the road. Europe has small diesel cars getting close to 60MPG on the freeway, sign me up for one of those for the DD and keep my V8 for the weekend/track.
Your wish will come. The first gas crunch was ment with GM building a smoker out of the 350 and rushing it to the market. What a piece of junk. They also had a 260 in an Olds. Anotehr piece of junk. Almost ever car M/Benz stocked in America was a smoker. VW's rabit got over 60 mpg etc etc.

The American public doesn't have a clue what the hell they want. Something they don't have today for sure. I'll be damned if I'll pay 3 to 5 k extra for a smoker. Did it once with the truck I still have. It's too much extra, the pay back is too friggen slow. But I needed a Tow vehicle. Fords ie International smokers were junk. Dodge just made toooooo much noise. So what is left but GM.

I don't like paying 3.00 per gal for gas that we once stole when it cost .25 per gal.

Anyone can write an article and have an opinion. Sometimes if enough articles are written people believe the idea and it becomes fact. Do you really need v8's in cars? No. Trucks yes. Will they go away - No

An old man and his dog!
Old 01-23-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

gm will be fine when the volt comes out if they can sell it.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:26 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

It goes on to say that hybrids, biofuels and turbochargers are poised to replace cubic inches
The aftermarket will never die. We like to build big cube engines

800-456-0211 / PM / Facebook
WHIPPLE Superchargers, Procharger, Magnuson, Powerbond Sale, HPTuners packages!, Trickflow, AFR, PRC, CHE Trunion upgrade, $100 7.400" pushrod set, Custom Cam of your choice

Old 01-23-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx

Gas cars are easier to make last longer, cheaper and easier to maintain, easier to dispose of and recycle, and hold resale value better.

Of course that goes for diesel and ethanol too. The point is non-hybrid, non-plug in, Internal Combustion Engines.
I don't know about this, I watched that who killed the electric car video and it was funny when they compared the 2 different cars going in for there tune up's, back when GM had that electric car out because the government mandated it. They show machanics talking about how they had to replace this this and that in the gas cars, and then they say how for the electric car they just rotated the tire's, added windshield washer fluid, and good to go, lol. One machanic had the usually greese and oil on em, the other that was working on the electric car said he didn't even have to wash his hands. The electric car seemed to be much more reliable, and this was back in the mid 90's.

Plus I think GM's volt looks pretty cool, a lot better looking than toyota's prius, the volt looks like a pissed off train, I like it. I'm just saying I think all it would take would be to make some better gas economical vehicle's to offset their higher gas mileage vehicle's like the v8, and I think that's not such a bad thing.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Veteran

The biggest issue with diesels is emissions (which cause cancer at a much higher rate than gasoline emissions), they are very dirty engines that require complex emissions systems to make them "cleaner". Diesels typically add a hefty premium to the price of a vehicle too, a premium many people are not going to be willing to pay.

Moore specific to us, diesel may be fine for an A to B car but it does not make a great performance car. Diesel engines do not rev freely nor do they rev all that high, something that will take a lot of the fun out of driving.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Highway consumption means very little. What the engine actually averages per tank is what it consumes in the real world.

My LS2 averages 16-18MPG per tank depending on how I drive it. My Grand National got 12MPG per tank in the same driving.

Your average will be better the more open road, constant throttle driving you do but the majority of Americans do not live in places that have no stops, no traffic congestion and other things that cause you to vary throttle imput.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Diesel is much easier to get...there is a shitload more poor oil in the world than oil that is easy to refine to vehicle gasoline. Diesels may be less healthy than gasoline power cars...but if we use diesel it makes our strategic situation more tenable (think poor quality African oil and lots of it).

W
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not too concerned about the the new standards. Even if they do go the way of fuel economy, they will still produce powerful cars. I definitely respect displacement, but look what they are doing with forced induction on smaller engines...ie...the Lancer Evo, or even my Cobra (440rwhp from an itty bitty 4.6!) What the future holds, no one knows, but I guarantee that there will still be high perf cars on the road.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats pretty good! My LS1 got around 12 average, and the same fro my Cobra. I got around 22mpg one time, all highway, in the LS1.

Originally Posted by TriShield
Highway consumption means very little. What the engine actually averages per tank is what it consumes in the real world.

My LS2 averages 16-18MPG per tank depending on how I drive it. My Grand National got 12MPG per tank in the same driving.

Your average will be better the more open road, constant throttle driving you do but the majority of Americans do not live in places that have no stops, no traffic congestion and other things that cause you to vary throttle imput.
Old 01-23-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats true withe MDS, or whatever they call it. Some of us are driving 8 all the time, not 4.

Old 01-23-2008, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Flex Fuel milage is not better but it is one hell of a good way to go. the farmers grow corn. fuel companies buy the corn and turn it into fuel we have less emmissions and much more prosporus farmers. i would pay extra for that. never mind the fact i can't spell

Quick Reply: End of the V8 in USA