Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MotorTrend GTR acceleration tests...

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by My1st Truck

Let it die already, want to argue about how good Nissan is? Find a Nissan board.
yes. please. someone lock this stupid thread already.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedBeauty84ZX
Both the 240Z and 300ZX have made it onto countless most beautiful cars of all time lists...and yes they look like a Sports car. GTRs have never been pure sports cars.
I'll tell you what, the Fairlady/Z was always a beautiful and unique sports car but only up until the Z32.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
yes. please. someone lock this stupid thread already.
PM a mod.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:56 PM
Restricted User

Sharing personal experiences isnt going to prove much. I will agree that Nissans quality took a dip after Ghosn took office in 2000 and went down hill for a few years but as of late(07+) things have been getting a lot better. Even still I don't think Nissans quality has ever dipped as low as chevrolet. But we both have our opinions. We have 5 different Nissans in the family, two of which with over 200K miles on the factory engine/tranny and all have been rock solid reliable.
True...we all have our opinions and that's not going to change. The real difference is that both JD Power and Consumer Reports agree with me. I've never been a big supporter of survey based ranking, but that's really the closest thing we have to fact in an argument such as this.

Well just take a look....

Man...GM really seems to be beating Nissan on quality...
Yeah that's fair...let's compare an amateur photo in shitty lighting to a professionally retouched photo in synthesized lighting...that'll make a great comparison. At least COD02SS picked fair photos.

How about this for comparison:

That's much better. Next to a well-done, vinyl and leather covered interior, we can all see just how plastic the Nissan's interior REALLY IS. Oh and great idea about comparing how the engines look...since the Vortec looks way cooler than the Nissan's motor, it's obviously better. Nevermind the fact that the 2006 Silverado's 5.3L motor had as much power as the Titan does NOW. No that's not important, the appearance of the motor is all that counts.

WOW.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well just take a look....
Your interior:

Silverado engine bay:

Nissan Titan interior:

Nissan Titan engine bay:

Man...GM really seems to be beating Nissan on quality...

The GT-R is a ....GT car. It looks like a GT car. Nissan has made sports cars in the past that look like sports cars.

[img][/img]

Both the 240Z and 300ZX have made it onto countless most beautiful cars of all time lists...and yes they look like a Sports car. GTRs have never been pure sports cars.
Then why is Nissan marketing it as one?

Also, The thing you have to realize is that pictures do not tell you how flimsy something is in real life. The underhood plastic on the Chevrolet is thick polymer. On the Nissan it is ABS plastic, and it could easily be broken by hand. I would need a sledgehammer to break my intake tube. Not to mention the Silverado engine bay you posted was not an '02 4.8L, which looks like this...note that my entire engine bay is not HIDDEN underneath plastic covers, and that the only COVER(singular) is hiding the vacuum lines and wiring crossing the intake manifold, serving double duty as an insulator with thermal foam on the underside. The cover has a purpose on my truck other than to hide the laziness of the wiring engineers like the Titans'...

Also, I have a dark black-blue interior, not a tan one.
Old 04-07-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Oh yeah, let me tell you, Nissan is really beating the pants off of Chevy with their interiors...

'08 Malibu

'08 Altima Coupe

Or here's one...

'81 301 Turbo Pontiac Trans Am Pace Car

'79 280ZX

Because brown is sweet...

Now don't get me wrong, I love a lot of Nissan cars, and the 300ZX(original body style, electonic graph gauges) still is one of my favorite cars of all time. The Skylines also have a place in my heart up until the R35s came around and butchered the meaning of the name. To me the GTR is nothing but a fast car with no ties to the real world. You cannot just go out with 20-30K and buy one straight up. Nissan used to be about advanced performance for value prices...not so much anymore! They're too busy trying to convince people that beating a Porsche makes them better than Porsche for ever and for all eternity. The real world will never give them the respect they want unless they uphold a traditional sporting model for more than ten years. The GTR has had its ties to the production Skyline severed(for some idiotic reason...) and now stands as a stand-alone sporting GT that is being marketed as a sports car. I foresee failure for the GTR unless it conjures up a profitable offshoot of Skylines...

Unless, you know, they pull a Viper and make it their Halo car, which in this case feels like Nissan is betraying their fan base by putting the car completely out of reach of the people who wanted the Skyline brought over here in the first place...This is purely publicity on Ghosn's part, which, sadly, is butchering the Skyline GT-R's legacy for a quick shot at profits and 15 minutes of fame in the spotlight.

In other words, the GTR will be a mistake when the ZR-1 and 911 GT2 destroy it on the track(pick one). Does it matter that those will be priced higher? Probably not. The Corvette and 911 have histories behind them, and people will pay that kind of money for one. No one is paying 200k for a Nissan GTR.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Just so people can see what we're talking about....

I picked an SS because the price's are closer then a cobalt LT.
Nice try chief, but the Altima is in a different class than the Cobalt. The altima competes with the Malibu.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st+page-6.html
Malibu > Altima....
Old 04-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Nice try chief, but the Altima is in a different class than the Cobalt. The altima competes with the Malibu.
Despite that fact, the Cobalt STILL has a better interior. So his comparison worked against him.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:58 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by My1st Truck

Just watch.
All of a sudden EVERY Nissan will 'transform' into a low eleven second car right off of the showroom floor (even the loaded auto 350Zs and base Altimas).
Much the same way EVERY NA, loaded automatic MKIV is a 9-10 second car to the fanbois.
Old 04-07-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok i dont know why yall are argueing bc if i believe that the z06 came out in what 2005-2006 so its almost 3 years old and it still beats a car that hasnt hit showroom floors yet and yall are comparing it to a 2009 GTR (which is the year the zr1 comes out) so the way i see it it should be the GTR vs. zr1 to be a fair competition (but it wouldnt be that fair b/c the zr1 will blow the doors off of anything)
Old 04-07-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dailydriver

Just watch.
All of a sudden EVERY Nissan will 'transform' into a low eleven second car right off of the showroom floor (even the loaded auto 350Zs and base Altimas).
Much the same way EVERY NA, loaded automatic MKIV is a 9-10 second car to the fanbois.
Isn't that the way it is in the Import world. Coincidentally, I was at the drags this weekend watching a fast turbocharged Honda run. It blew up the previous weekend and I asked them what the problem was. They said no problem, it blows up every other weekend. The 8 second Supra that was out, was running 10s and 11s, which was about par for a 8 second Supra.
Those Import guys confuse the hell out of me.
Old 04-07-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

If I had a dime for every domestic blowing up out racing every other weekend...
Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bboyferal
If I had a dime for every domestic blowing up out racing every other weekend...
Yes, you'd have a lot of money. BUT....

The ratio of blown domestics to intact domestics at the track still puts the same ratio for imports to shame. The ratio would be even worse for the imports if they weren't sticking American transmissions and rear ends into their cars...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Junkie

^ Yeah, and I use quite few parts from Greddy, HKS, etc. in my TA.

When you want the complete package, you don't stick to any one region.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Despite that fact, the Cobalt STILL has a better interior. So his comparison worked against him.
How did it work against me? The cobalt has a POS interior because it's a POS car . Just because you think it doesn't doesn't change anything.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Hydramatic
imports if they weren't sticking American transmissions and rear ends into their cars...
Yep! Thats why any really fast Supra has a Turbo400 and a nine inch Ford in it.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

How did it work against me? The cobalt has a POS interior because it's a POS car . Just because you think it doesn't doesn't change anything.
Hey everyone has an opinion, and just like an ******* they all stink.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM
Restricted User

It worked against you because you are wrong. That's all. The Cobalt is a $15k car that puts Nissan's $30k+ cars to shame...it's better built, more reliable, and less complex...so when a problem does come along, it costs half as much to fix.

None of the above is an opinion...it's all fact...just ask JD power, Consumer reports, Edmunds...etc...they all spell it out in plain english.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Someone should really posts facts (links to articles, reports, tests, etc.) about GM vehicles being better than imports.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/23/Auto...cars/index.htm

http://money.cnn.com/2007/08/08/auto...lity/index.htm

I have more about the Trucks, Malibu, Equniox, but I am at work.

Quick Reply: MotorTrend GTR acceleration tests...