Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Comparo - Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs Ford Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 01:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by COD02SS
12 second gas guzzler getting 20mpg.

You seriously think people are going to doll out 30K plus for a car that gets 20mpg? hahahahhahahahahahah
According to GM the camaro will be having the flex fuel system thus giving us pretty good gas mileage for the power. I already know a few people that are ready to buy one. And they dont need their mommies/daddies to co-sign for them neither.
Old 05-11-2008, 02:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you compare those number's with the LS2 gto they ain't that far apart so the camaro that is said to be lighter and have more power shouldn't have a problem with those two.
But the problem with the camaro is we dont know enough about it.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1fastz
According to GM the camaro will be having the flex fuel system thus giving us pretty good gas mileage for the power. I already know a few people that are ready to buy one. And they dont need their mommies/daddies to co-sign for them neither.
Flex fuel? E85? Ever see some E85 ratings?
Old 05-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Restricted User

Flex fuel? E85? Ever see some E85 ratings?
I have...and when tuned properly, E85 does about 20% better than gas in both fuel economy and power. It's the engines that are conservatively tuned for gas that really suck when you throw in E85.

Basically, offering the flex-fuel option gives me the ability to decide from the get-go what fuel i want to use. If I choose E85, I will get the car tuned for it and run nothing but E85. Being able to do that right from the factory is a great incentive to purchase. Saves me the money of converting a regular motor over to E85-compliance.
Old 05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Regardelss of tuning, E85 costs you about 20% decrease in mpg. However, it is ~20% cheaper and is a much better performance fuel. Turbo cars can run 30psi on e85 no problem
Old 05-11-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

What is this "War" you're talking about? There's not going to be any damn war with 4 dollar a gallon gas. I once considered a camaro or challenger but **** THAT with these gas prices. I'll take my slow high 13 second car that gets 28mpg over any 12 second gas guzzler getting 20mpg.

You seriously think people are going to doll out 30K plus for a car that gets 20mpg? hahahahhahahahahahah
The war I am talking about is the Camaro comes out in 09. They are all ready saying the Mustang is getting a new engine with a lot more power. The Challenger will be out also with several versions of the Hemi and you can safely assume the power will also be increased to keep up. Sounds like a HP war to me, if you have 400 we'll do 410 and so on. This will be short lived since no has made any secret that the Camaro and Challenger are a single generation with no redesign at the end of their lives. The Mustang who knows. I will be getting my Camaro when it comes out. Gas prices aren't going to drop and we'll just have to deal with it. Live doesn't stop for me because of gas prices. BTW in response to the parents co signing I make more money than my parents and haven't lived at home for over 20 years. I know quite a few others here that are older than me and have plenty of disposable income for a new toy.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:51 PM
Launching!

I've been looking forward to the new Camaro for a long time, but damn!, that Challenger is a good looking car! It's gonna be a toss up for me as to which one I'll end up getting.

Originally Posted by Dom
LS3 5th gen will probably do the 1/4 right in between those two. If there is a LS9/LSA option then that will beat the GT500.
I have read rumors of the LS9 or something similar going into the Z28 version. Can't remember where, though.

Z28 won't get the LS3. I can feel it in my bones. It will probably get the same engine they equipped the G8 with. GM will save the LSSomething for the SS
Again, I can't remember where I read it, but I recall rumors that the Z28 will be top dog, not the SS. Supposedly this is how it was back in the day.

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Um...yeah. Me, for one.

Wanna start a thread to see how many members of this board would? Guarantee you more than half. These cars aren't meant to sell 200k plus per year. They don't expect to sell more than maybe 30k V8s a year. So, to answer your question completely, yes I (and many others) seriously think people will buy these cars.
Count me in. Gas prices suck, and will only get worse, but I'm NOT going to let that stop me from enjoying a sunny day drive! I may not drive it as often, but I will most certainly drive it.

BTW... doesn't GM have the displacement on demand technology. I think it's very feasible for them to apply this to most of their vehicles with big gas-guzzling motors.

'Los
Old 05-11-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlitos
I've been looking forward to the new Camaro for a long time, but damn!, that Challenger is a good looking car! It's gonna be a toss up for me as to which one I'll end up getting.

I have read rumors of the LS9 or something similar going into the Z28 version. Can't remember where, though.

Again, I can't remember where I read it, but I recall rumors that the Z28 will be top dog, not the SS. Supposedly this is how it was back in the day.

Count me in. Gas prices suck, and will only get worse, but I'm NOT going to let that stop me from enjoying a sunny day drive! I may not drive it as often, but I will most certainly drive it.

BTW... doesn't GM have the displacement on demand technology. I think it's very feasible for them to apply this to most of their vehicles with big gas-guzzling motors.

'Los
Gm does have displacement on demand. They have had it for a lot of years in fact if you count Cadillacs 8,6,4 system of the 80's. Here is an interesting read if you have some spare time.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...dod/index.html
Old 05-11-2008, 11:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
Gm does have displacement on demand. They have had it for a lot of years in fact if you count Cadillacs 8,6,4 system of the 80's. Here is an interesting read if you have some spare time.
http://www.superchevy.com/technical/...dod/index.html
Good find! Very interesting stuff.

'Los
Old 05-12-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

What is this "War" you're talking about? There's not going to be any damn war with 4 dollar a gallon gas. I once considered a camaro or challenger but **** THAT with these gas prices. I'll take my slow high 13 second car that gets 28mpg over any 12 second gas guzzler getting 20mpg.

Your high 13 second car only gets 28mpg? Aw, man that sucks... My low 13 second car gets that kind of gas mileage...
Old 05-12-2008, 12:05 PM
TECH Veteran

I'll take my slow high 13 second car that gets 28mpg over any 12 second gas guzzler getting 20mpg.
You get 28mpg sitting in traffic on the 10, 202 or 101?
Old 05-12-2008, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

$40K + 13 second slips = fail
Old 05-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
$40K + 13 second slips = fail
$40k + 13 second slips =

Touch screen Navigation, 8 way power Leather seats, heated seats, 9.3 Gb Music Box hard drive, automatic climate control, 14 inch brakes with 4 piston calipers, 10 inch subwoofers in each door, driver position memory for seating position, side view mirrors, and steering wheel tilt and telescope, zero-lift aerodynamics and .29 Cd, HID bi-xenon headlights, rear view monitor, 7 year 100k mile warranty, etc...

= a very well rounded 13 second car.

Don't get me wrong, I still miss my SS, but these are two totally different animals. Heck, I bet if Nissan left all of these options off of the car, they probably could've save a few hundred pounds LOL. I guess I could've gotten an '08 Corvette Z51, but then I would only have two seats.

'Los

Last edited by Carlitos; 05-13-2008 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:33 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Carlitos
$40k + 13 second slips =

Touch screen Navigation, 8 way power Leather seats, heated seats, 9.3 Gb Music Box hard drive, automatic climate control, 14 inch brakes with 4 piston calipers, 10 inch subwoofers in each door, driver position memory for seating position, side view mirrors, and steering wheel tilt and telescope, zero-lift aerodynamics and .29 Cd, HID bi-xenon headlights, rear view monitor, 7 year 100k mile warranty, etc...

= a very well rounded 13 second car.

Don't get me wrong, I still miss my SS, but these are two totally different animals. Heck, I bet if Nissan left all of these options off of the car, they probably could've save a few hundred pounds LOL. I guess I could've gotten an '08 Corvette Z51, but then I would only have two seats.

'Los
All that junk means nothing for someone like myself. I want it to perform in a straight line and not break.
Old 05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
The G8 weighs 4000-4100lbs with four doors. The Camaro is the same platform and a very similiar driveline with two less doors. With no other purposeful weight reduction involved, we can count on about 3800lbs max. If they can be clever and shave another 100lbs off that, that would be a huge advantage against these two rivals.
That's what I thought about the Chally- two doors and shorter than the charger/300. The problem is the new crash safety standards mandated more metal for side impact protection. I wouldn't bet the farm on 3800lbs. That said, GM usually does find a way to make it's performance cars lighter than the competition.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:02 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Cobra Commander
All that junk means nothing for someone like myself. I want it to perform in a straight line and not break.
If all you want is a car that reliably performs in a straight line for less money, there are better options than '99 TAs. I'm sure, however, that you have your car because you want something more than just a straight line performer. Saying that a $40k 13 second car = fail is like me saying the $20-25k you have invested in your TA for just a 10.6 timeslip and nothing else = fail. People go much faster for much less every day.

BTW... with a 7 year 100k mile warranty, I'm not too worried about stuff breaking.

Just my .02 as the devil's (aka Riceboy) advocate.

'Los
Old 05-14-2008, 02:53 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Performance? Fuel economy?

My Corvette has gotten as much as 31 miles per gallon (as shown on the Driver Information Center) and ran a best of 12.21 at almost 116mph in the 1/4 mile in stock trim...but it costs.
GM/Chevrolet will not disappoint with the new Camaro.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs Ford Mustang GT500