Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Comparo - Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs Ford Mustang GT500

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Motor Trend Comparo - Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs Ford Mustang GT500

Time Travelers: Nixon may not be in the White House, but among the Big Three it's 1970 all over again.

By Arthur St. Antoine
Photography by Wesley Allison

Something's wrong. Parked outside is a brand-new Dodge Challenger. Next to it, a freshly baked Ford Shelby GT500. Yet nowhere in the CBS television lineup can I find a listing for that funny new series "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." Also, what's with all this gray hair? I'm only nine years old.

Quick check of the morning newspaper: A-ha! It's 2008, not 1970. Those two muscle machines outside sure confused the issue. Hey! Who ate my Space Food Sticks?

Viva the American retro-car revolution. Three years ago, Ford struck first with its late-1960s-inspired gen-five Mustang and still had the segment all to itself when it released the reincarnated, high-output Shelby GT500 version for 2007. But Ford's solitary rule of the musclecar time machine is over. In six months, the Mustang's most feared rival, the Chevrolet Camaro, will return after seven years of reclusion in a suite high atop a Radisson near Warren, Michigan. Not that the assault against the Mustang's dominion will take even that long to commence: A third time traveler, Dodge's hotly awaited Challenger coupe, has already charged into the fray.

It was two years ago (MT, August 2006) that we drove the one-of-a-kind concept car that led to the production Challenger you see here. While the concept was a handbuilt showpiece, not sorted for road-testing, the essentials were in place: 6.1-liter Hemi V-8, bulging wheels and tires, an updated interpretation of that unmistakable 1970 shape made iconic by the 1971 cult-hit movie "Vanishing Point." The faithful nodded their collective heads in admiration of Dodge's show-car handiwork, but almost immediately the rumblings began. "You gotta consider the Michael Jackson factor," said many. "The next time we see it, how much of that stuff will have fallen off?"

Fear not, Mopar mavens: Despite every exterior surface being different, the production Challenger is a near-clone of the fervor-building show star, sporting necessary alterations that do little to diminish the shape's impact. The production version's most significant edit is a three-inch trim in width-a revision you'd notice only if you happen to have the concept car handy for comparison. Whereas the concept's bodywork tucked in dramatically at its lower edges (a feature designers admitted early on would never make it to showrooms), the production car wears a thick black band along the bottom of the body, an addition that both simplifies metal shaping and visually reduces the perceived thickness of the car's flanks. The famed four-headlamp "bandit" grille, borrowed straight from 1970, remains, though Dodge admits to considerable wind-tunnel work and changes to the hood's overhang needed to reduce lift (a new black rear spoiler also appears to reduce rear lift). A thicker B-pillar enhances roof strength, clever design work has retained the "full-width" look of the taillamps, and a new, chrome fuel-filler flap adds exterior drama. Gone is all costly carbon fiber; the production car is crafted in steel.

Though the concept's interior wore splashes of brushed-aluminum in the dash and center console, the production Challenger will look familiar to anyone who's seen the inside of a Charger or a 300C. The same, huge four-spoke steering wheel greets drivers; it's a shame Dodge hasn't employed a smaller, sportier three-spoke rim-at least in the top-level SRT8 edition. No complaints about the seats, though: They're beefy, leather SRT8 buckets, comfy for extended cruising and ready to embrace max-lat maneuvering.

For 2008, the Challenger's first model year, Dodge will sell the car only in high-output SRT8 trim: 6.1-liter Hemi making 425 horsepower and 420 pound-feet, 20-inch forged-aluminum rims, Brembo four-piston discs front and rear, five-speed automatic. Dodge simply wasn't able to get a six-speed manual ready in time, and that's a glaring omission-the Challenger should've reappeared with a manual first, including the famed pistol-grip shift lever. Still, even before release Dodge had already sold nearly all of the 6400 Challenger SRT8s it intends to build the first year. And the pistol-grip Tremec six-speed version will arrive for 2009-along with an R/T model (370-horse, 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 with either transmission) and a base car (250-horse, 3.5-liter V-6; automatic only) that should start at under $24K.

Old 05-06-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Veteran

Even without a manual, the Challenger SRT8 has the hardware to step straight into the corral with Ford's Shelby GT500. Though based on a platform that's showing its age (translation: "live axle"), the GT500 is hardly past its prime. Its supercharged, 5.4-liter V-8 thunders with 500 horsepower and 480 pound-feet, it erases speed with giant Brembo discs (four-piston in front), it shifts with a slick six-speed manual, its blazing-red bodywork and dual racing stripes intimidate like the angry Cobra it wears in badge form.

At the dragstrip, the Shelby quickly put to rest any notions about cobwebs, blazing to 60 mph in just 4.3 seconds and closing out the quarter mile in 12.6 seconds at 114.2 mph-bettering the scorching numbers we recorded with our last GT500 (December 2006). Burdened with 250 additional pounds and fed by 75 fewer horses, the Challenger was outgunned but proved beastly nonetheless: 0 to 60 took just 4.7 seconds, the quarter rushed by in 13.1 seconds at 108.3 mph. Extracting the most from the Shelby takes more skill: In addition to a carefully executed clutch drop and lightning upshifts, the driver needs a deft touch on the throttle-or the rear tires will go up in smoke. Launching the Challenger, in contrast, is child's play: Hold revs at about 1800 rpm with a dab of brakes, then let 'er rip. Leave traction control on; hey, leave the transmission in Drive. The SRT8 will lay down repeatable 4.7s run after run.

The Shelby's weight and torque advantage helped it circle our figure-eight course a half-second quicker than the Challenger, though the Dodge's beefier Goodyear Eagle F1s (a mere $50 option) and larger Brembos gave it a slight edge in stopping power.

More revealing differences appear when you hit the road. Everyone's first impression after climbing aboard the Challenger: "Wow. This is a big car." And it is, checking-in nearly 10 inches longer than the Shelby, 2.5 inches taller, and almost two inches wider. The Challenger is truly old-school that way; there aren't many automobiles left that showcase such a brash expanse of hood through the windshield (those hood scoops, by the way, are fully functional). Yet the Challenger is also a grownup car, its fully independent suspension hanging poised over roads that cause the live-axle GT500 to step about, its structure feeling stouter, its interior far more expensively dressed, the big-bore rumble of its naturally aspirated Hemi V-8 a more stirring accompaniment than the Shelby's toy-like supercharged whine. And while the Shelby has a slight edge in steering finesse-the Challenger feels numb and intentionally slow-the GT500 also feels nose-heavy. For such a broad-shouldered car, the SRT8 is impressively balanced.

Our biggest Challenger criticism: It's almost too well-mannered. The suspension settings feel right (a stiffer rider would cut driving comfort at the expense of a dubious handling gain), but the Challenger could use more crackle and boom in its exhaust. Racier headers will no doubt prove a popular aftermarket accessory; the pistol-fired 2009 SRT8 should have them standard.

It's one of the closest comparo calls we've made of late, but the nod goes to the all-new Challenger from Dodge. The Shelby GT500 remains a fast and compelling piece, but the Challenger is simply a better-sorted automobile, a 20th-century icon reborn with 21st-century sophistication and poise. It's also a remarkable value, its base price undercutting the Shelby's by more than $4000 and the gap with options even wider.

Kudos, Dodge, but remember: Don't spare the sizzle for 2009. Retro Round Two, Challenger versus Camaro, will be here before you can say "time warp."

1st Place
Dodge Challenger SRT8
Broad-shouldered good looks, thundering Hemi power, and savvy chassis tuning land Dodge's new old-school muscle machine out front.

2nd Place
Ford Shelby GT500
Still an eye-catcher, and sensationally fast, but archaic chassis and whiney motor weaken its bid for numero uno.

TEST DATA
Challenger vs Mustang
Acceleration to mph
0-30 1.8 sec 1.8 sec
0-40 2.6 2.5
0-50 3.5 3.3
0-60 4.7 4.3
0-70 5.9 5.4
0-80 7.4 6.7
0-90 9.3 8.1
0-100 11.3 9.7
Passing, 45-65 mph 2.3 2.0
Quarter mile 13.1 sec @ 108.3 mph 12.6 sec @ 114.2 mph
Braking, 60-0 mph 117 ft 118 ft
Lateral acceleration 0.87 g (avg) 0.89 g (avg)
MT figure eight 26.4 sec @ 0.69 g (avg) 25.9 sec @ 0.71 g (avg)
Top-gear revs @ 60 mph 1900 rpm 1650 rpm
Price as tested $41,158 $47,210

Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
TECH Junkie

I do not typically like to make judgements...but the new M@RO will wipe the floor with those two.

W
Old 05-06-2008, 06:35 PM
Banned

By the time the Camaro comes out , if ever , the Challenger SRT will have the 6-speed manual and 426 cubic inches with over 500 HP. And the Mustang will have the 6 litre Hurricane / Boss engine with an unspecified horse power rating . From what I've read the chevy will have two V8 engines available . The LS3 base engine & as yet unspecified larger option. The factory spies are out . Pricing is expected to reach just over $40,000.00 for an optioned out Camaro .
Old 05-06-2008, 09:07 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS3 5th gen will probably do the 1/4 right in between those two. If there is a LS9/LSA option then that will beat the GT500.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

A Ring tested LS3 M6 M@RO should be rather good around a course. There is more to it than straight line. The STR8 and Cobra are not tested on such a course.

W
Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by WECIV
I do not typically like to make judgements...but the new M@RO will wipe the floor with those two.

W

Considering the new camaro weighs in at 4000lbs.. It won't be kicking any mustang ***
Old 05-10-2008, 02:28 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by COD02SS

Considering the new camaro weighs in at 4000lbs.. It won't be kicking any mustang ***
Link to the official weight of the 5th gen please.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Dom
Link to the official weight of the 5th gen please.
It's based on the Holden Commodore/Pontiac G8 which is a 4,100lb car. It's going to be heavy but how heavy remains a question.
Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Restricted User

The G8 weighs 4000-4100lbs with four doors. The Camaro is the same platform and a very similiar driveline with two less doors. With no other purposeful weight reduction involved, we can count on about 3800lbs max. If they can be clever and shave another 100lbs off that, that would be a huge advantage against these two rivals.

At this point, one would be insane to think that the fully loaded Camaro SS will be more than 38XXlbs. Lutz was quoted as saying that the new Camaro WILL weigh less than 3600lbs. While I find that hard to believe, I think it, along with the G8's weight, completely rules out anything close to 4000lbs.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
The G8 weighs 4000-4100lbs with four doors. The Camaro is the same platform and a very similiar driveline with two less doors. With no other purposeful weight reduction involved, we can count on about 3800lbs max. If they can be clever and shave another 100lbs off that, that would be a huge advantage against these two rivals.

At this point, one would be insane to think that the fully loaded Camaro SS will be more than 38XXlbs. Lutz was quoted as saying that the new Camaro WILL weigh less than 3600lbs. While I find that hard to believe, I think it, along with the G8's weight, completely rules out anything close to 4000lbs.
I heard the same thing over and over again about the challenger's weight adn the charger's weight. Everyone thought the Challenger would be so much lighter becuase it was a coupe of the same platform. What happened there? Don't hold your breath for a car unr 3800lbs.

As far as the comparison, wasn't the Mustng platform competely redone in 2005? Hardly "archaic". Also, for both being sports/pony cars, they sure seemed to forget that in the results portion as the better handling, faster car finished 2nd.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Banned

Z28 won't get the LS3. I can feel it in my bones. It will probably get the same engine they equipped the G8 with. GM will save the LSSomething for the SS
Old 05-10-2008, 11:06 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by nanokpsi
I heard the same thing over and over again about the challenger's weight adn the charger's weight. Everyone thought the Challenger would be so much lighter becuase it was a coupe of the same platform. What happened there? Don't hold your breath for a car unr 3800lbs.
I dunno, all I ever heard about the Charger and Challenger was that they were going to be pigs. I never heard a peep about sub-4k weight.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh, You know this for sure? When the car isnt completed??? Yet you know it will weigh over 4000lbs!!!! HOW DO YOU KNOW !!!!!!!!!!!

The Challenger already weights over 4000lbs, the camaro which is built on the same platform of the G8 (GT Sedan is under 4000lbs btw) I am sure GM will make the camaro weight around the same if not less then the G8.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

At least 400HP for the Camaro and 300HP for the Mustang, if the Mustang does get the 6.2 the Camaro will get more, you are retarded if you don't think that. The Camaro will be a Mustang killer have no doubt, this isn't the 80's and Chevy will not release a Camaro that will be questionable. The only thing that really needs to be talked about is what will they do to unseat the Shelby. The base Camaro will come close but what do they have up their sleeve to dethrone the Shelby. Chevy knows all too well that the Camaro can not fail at beating the Mustang at the track. This will for the beginning anyway give everyone the baddest Camaro ever built. Ford may respond but at first the Camaro will be the top dog regardless.

Z28 won't get the LS3. I can feel it in my bones. It will probably get the same engine they equipped the G8 with. GM will save the LSSomething for the SS
The LS3 or something more powerful will be in the Camaro regardless of what your bones tell you. Chevy is just waiting to see what Ford will do to keep up. Have no doubt the Camaro will be the top dog for at least the first two tears of production. They have the benefit of showing up late just like they did in 1967. If this war really explodes I am curious to see what Dodge will do since they kind of got left out of the first pony car war. All we need now is an American Motors car and history would truely repeat itself.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Restricted User

First we will get a base model with a V6, hopefully close to 300hp...and a V8 model (Z28?) which i'm betting will have 400hp. More would be great, but it makes sense at 400hp, because that's already enough to best the Mustang GT at any weight, and if this Camaro is going to be 3800lbs or less, that should be plenty of power to take the Challenger SRT8 too. Then probably the following year we will see something crazy in the form of an SS. As for what it will have under the hood, that's a great question. I'm sure 500hp will be a sure bet...but in what form I dunno. LS7 seems out of the question because of it's hand-built quazi-exotic nature. I don't see them using the LS9 either, I bet that stays exclusive to the ZR1 and maybe a top-dog Caddy. Perhaps a beefed up LS3, or the LSA...but isn't the LSA a DOHC motor? If so, there's no way it's going in the Camaro.

I have no doubt that the top Camaro will have no problem besting Ford and Dodge's offerings...I just don't claim to know exactly how it will do it.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Manalishi

The LS3 or something more powerful will be in the Camaro regardless of what your bones tell you. Chevy is just waiting to see what Ford will do to keep up. Have no doubt the Camaro will be the top dog for at least the first two tears of production. They have the benefit of showing up late just like they did in 1967. If this war really explodes I am curious to see what Dodge will do since they kind of got left out of the first pony car war. All we need now is an American Motors car and history would truely repeat itself.
What is this "War" you're talking about? There's not going to be any damn war with 4 dollar a gallon gas. I once considered a camaro or challenger but **** THAT with these gas prices. I'll take my slow high 13 second car that gets 28mpg over any 12 second gas guzzler getting 20mpg.

You seriously think people are going to doll out 30K plus for a car that gets 20mpg? hahahahhahahahahahah
Old 05-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Restricted User

You seriously think people are going to doll out 30K plus for a car that gets 20mpg? hahahahhahahahahahah
Um...yeah. Me, for one.

Wanna start a thread to see how many members of this board would? Guarantee you more than half. These cars aren't meant to sell 200k plus per year. They don't expect to sell more than maybe 30k V8s a year. So, to answer your question completely, yes I (and many others) seriously think people will buy these cars.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blakbird24

Wanna start a thread to see how many members of this board would?
Most of the members on ls1tech have there parents cosign for there cars so it's not even worth it.

Driving a big V8 used to be fun but those days are over.
Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Restricted User

Driving a big V8 used to be fun but those days are over.
V8s are as fun as they ever were. The truth is that the days of you being able to afford V8s are over.

Some people can't afford it, others chose not to...doesn't matter. Fact is that there are plenty of guys out there like me who CAN afford it. It's not that gas prices haven't affected me at all...they have, but I cut back in more effective areas...like the HD cable that I don't need, the 20MB internet that I can reduce to 5MB and barely notice a difference...eating out once a week instead of 4 times.

This is America...gas prices are going to have to go alot higher before V8's won't sell at all. Especially when GM is cranking out V8s that get better gas mileage than everyone else's V6's.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Comparo - Dodge Challenger SRT8 vs Ford Mustang GT500