Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long

Not So Fast! Chevy Could Shorten Nissan's Nurburgring Celebration

Godzilla now holds the lap record for a production car at 7:29 minutes.

Can King Kong challenge Godzilla on the 'Ring?

Date posted: 05-02-2008

DETROIT — Nissan was so proud of the GT-R's production-car lap-record run of 7:29 on the Nürburgring Nordschleife that CEO Carlos Ghosn personally delivered the news to journalists gathered in Portugal.

It must be sweet for Ghosn who championed the GT-R when Nissan was in dire financial trouble. And trumping Chevrolet's double-barrel announcements last week regarding the Corvette ZR1's outrageous 638-hp output and its 205-mph top speed, doesn't hurt either.

But wait, didn't we quote Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter as saying that the ZR1 "will be able to take the production-car track record at any racetrack"? Yes, we did. What we didn't mention was that in the same interview, Juechter said that, while the company didn't yet have a full-production ZR1 to test at Nürburgring's old track, he confidently predicted the super-Vette would do the deed in "Seven minutes, twenty-something seconds."

Hey, is that a gauntlet we see there on the ground? Anyone care to pick that up? (We're looking directly at you, Chevy.)

What this means to you: In the grand scheme, a car's lap time of a wicked, old German racetrack might not mean much. Except that we all know it does. — Daniel Pund, Senior Editor, Detroit
Old 05-02-2008, 02:20 PM
10 Second Club

Question

Will it get to make the attempt using a rolling start and 'R' compound race tires like it appears that the Nissan did?
Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Give each the same tires and see what they can do. If you want a better head to head comparrison, deactivate the GTRs AWD.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Id take that vette no matter what any report says.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The vette is a total masterpiece. The vette weighs less, puts out more power, but its disadvantage is obviously in the rwd. So while the ZR1 has some large advantages, the GTR also has a great advantage.

The ZR1 is going to take the cake. And its not because I like it (which I do), it just seems like the obvious choice. Its going to be close. I would really love to watch these two cars go at it on a road coarse. That would be fun to see.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

let nissan keep their slicks and rolling start...i wanna see the vette outrun it (the 7.29) from a standstill...
Old 05-02-2008, 02:57 PM
Restricted User

I think the ZR1 will do it as-is...geez on the first lap it ran when it got there it ran a 7:40, only 2 secs behind the GT-R first hard-wrought time. I say they should wring out the best time they can get from the ZR1 on run-flats and from a standing start...I bet it's better than 7:29. Then after they do that, throw on the R-comps and hit the line running and see what the Z can do on GTR terms.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
I think the ZR1 will do it as-is...geez on the first lap it ran when it got there it ran a 7:40, only 2 secs behind the GT-R first hard-wrought time. I say they should wring out the best time they can get from the ZR1 on run-flats and from a standing start...I bet it's better than 7:29. Then after they do that, throw on the R-comps and hit the line running and see what the Z can do on GTR terms.
+1... Beat them fair and square, and rape them playing their own game.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:27 PM
Restricted User

Just wanted to note that there are also rampant rumors among enthusiasts that the 7:29 time was achieved on a modified course (The standard course run for testing purposes is the Nordschleife and Betonschleife)...supposedly this test included only the Nordschleife.

Not presenting this as fact or substantiated in any way, just that it's a surprisingly widespread rumor that is even addressed on Nissan-worshipper sites. IF it were true, it would be about a 5-6 second difference, which still results in a faster time than the 7:38. Though if you think about it, it's alot more believable that the car that ran 7:38 the first time ran a 7:35 later on...3 seconds is believable, 9 is a bit harder to trust.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:44 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I say they should wring out the best time they can get from the ZR1 on run-flats and from a standing start...I bet it's better than 7:29. Then after they do that, throw on the R-comps and hit the line running and see what the Z can do on GTR terms.
Agreed.
Old 05-02-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Veteran

What the **** is up with all these threads? I am about to loose it.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Then stop reading them.
Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
If you want a better head to head comparrison, deactivate the GTRs AWD.
Yeah and lets deactivate the zr1's 2 extra cylinders while we're at it

Please don't start this type of game again...

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Then stop reading them.
Agreed, what a tough concept...
Old 05-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Banned

No, the ZR1 ran a mid 7:40's as stated by Autocar.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cellis
No, the ZR1 ran a mid 7:40's as stated by Autocar.
your such a ******, there was two guys in the car and they were hand counting you moron. quit beating on a already solved argument... and its weird that GM uses a standing start for testing, I wonder what Datsun uses??? maybe a rolling start???
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Juicy J
The vette is a total masterpiece. The vette weighs less, puts out more power, but its disadvantage is obviously in the rwd. So while the ZR1 has some large advantages, the GTR also has a great advantage.

The ZR1 is going to take the cake. And its not because I like it (which I do), it just seems like the obvious choice. Its going to be close. I would really love to watch these two cars go at it on a road coarse. That would be fun to see.
The Vettes "masterpiece" pails in comparison to what the GTR offers. Not even close imo. Secondly, this is the regular GTR we're talking about that ran 7:29. The Vspec is 350-375lbs lighter(about a 150lb difference than ZR1) and has an increase of 75-100hp.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JuStIn_Ws6
your such a ******, there was two guys in the car and they were hand counting you moron. quit beating on a already solved argument... and its weird that GM uses a standing start for testing, I wonder what Datsun uses??? maybe a rolling start???
I hope you understand that the Nurburgring doesnt allow rolling starts to be documented!

Even if they did have another passenger in the car, it still weighed less than the GTR. Face it, it didnt crack 7:30's, despite having 150hp and 400lb weight advantage of the standard GTR. What a crowning achievment . Ill save my 50-60k and get a GTR.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:35 PM
Restricted User

I hope you understand that the Nurburgring doesnt allow rolling starts to be documented!
This isn't documented by the ring officials. The runs aren't even timed by the officials. "Test lapping" is done and timed completely by the individuals using the track at the time...an official checks the car to make sure it complies with track rules (which is kinda pointless for a street car so there really isn't alot of attention paid there), they are issued a pit area for equipment staging, and that's it. Test drivers are able to use any section of track that is cleared for use that day.

Not even sanctioned events are timed by track officials. The governing body oversees all event officiating.

I hope you understand that it is not speculation, but common knowledge that the GT-R acheived it's times with a rolling start...

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/10...urburgring.htm

This is not uncommon practice, a good chunk of the cars on the "official" list used the same procedures in their runs...some did not. Shows how great of a gauge this new found ring frenzy really is when it comes to performance.

Even if they did have another passenger in the car, it still weighed less than the GTR. Face it, it didnt crack 7:30's, despite having 150hp and 400lb weight advantage of the standard GTR. What a crowning achievment . Ill save my 50-60k and get a GTR.
The GT-R took six months of on and off-track testing, specially engineered tires, AWD, and every trick in the book to run a 7:29 just a few weeks ago. It's first run on the ring was 8:14. Well the ZR1 just showed up last week and it's first run was a 7:42.

Do a little interpolation there and go cry about what you learn.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Junkie

This isn't documented by the ring officials. The runs aren't even timed by the officials. "Test lapping" is done and timed completely by the individuals using the track at the time...an official checks the car to make sure it complies with track rules (which is kinda pointless for a street car so there really isn't alot of attention paid there), they are issued a pit area for equipment staging, and that's it. Test drivers are able to use any section of track that is cleared for use that day.

Not even sanctioned events are timed by track officials. The governing body oversees all event officiating.

I hope you understand that it is not speculation, but common knowledge that the GT-R acheived it's times with a rolling start...

http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos/10...urburgring.htm

This is not uncommon practice, a good chunk of the cars on the "official" list used the same procedures in their runs...some did not. Shows how great of a gauge this new found ring frenzy really is when it comes to performance.

The GT-R took six months of on and off-track testing, specially engineered tires, AWD, and every trick in the book to run a 7:29 just a few weeks ago. It's first run on the ring was 8:14. Well the ZR1 just showed up last week and it's first run was a 7:42.

Do a little interpolation there and go cry about what you learn.
I see what you did there.

Don't go bringing facts into this now. Cellis has some damn good points loaded with bias and omission.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jimmy169
Yeah and lets deactivate the zr1's 2 extra cylinders while we're at it

Please don't start this type of game again...

Agreed, what a tough concept...
I agree 100%.

I am a Vette fan 'til the day I die, but your posts are always indifferent and free of fanboysim. Please, stay in this thread!

Quick Reply: It's On - ZR1 Chief Says GTR Won't be King of the 'Ring for Long