Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Dan Neil - Pontiac G8

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
Do they?
There was a real problem happening with the E46 M3 engines back when they first came out. Those last generation 740s were full of issues as well.
I don't recall that many LSx motor failures at all and there were (are) FAR MORE of them out there.
GM has had plenty of ball drops. Many more with their cheaper engines. LS1 do have problems as evidenced by upgraded/added timing equipment, block redesign, and respecs.

There are tons of call-ins on Quad 4 timing chains. Many of the 3800s have whines. I think it is related to the oil pump or the tranny pump.

I don't know much of the E46 though. I will have to research that! Thanks for the tip.

All I know is that in general import cars have more hardware content in their engines compared to GM to help with such issues. This includes Asian Invasions as well.
Old 06-21-2008, 08:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Rawr256;9590986]
I won't deny a car like a M3 or M5 doesn't get me thinking about going and buying one, but when I hear about a local having to replace not just one but two MAF sensors for $1200 on his 01 M5, I think I will pass.
QUOTE]

uhh you definately cannot compare it to the M5, that $85,000. the G8 is a competitor with the normal 5 series. (but i love TG, you beat me to the punch with the VXR8 review)

too much ripping on the American car industry these days, and people wonder why its going down the hole? **** like this dont help. too much sarcasm for my tastes

Quick Reply: Dan Neil - Pontiac G8