Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

BMW 135i twin turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 11:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
Also, I love the looks of BMW Wheel designs. Very unique, and always Badass. If I ever think about it, I wouldnt mind taking out the center section of some cool BMW wheels and throwing them on a car that isnt an F-body.
Actually people have been known to put BMW wheels on F-bodies. Sounds crazy I know but the bolt patterns are very close (BMW uses the 2004-2006 GTO pattern, or vice versa).
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firehawk618
I've been hearing the motors in those cars after a few bolt on's is pretty much pushed to the limit.
If by maxed out, you mean high 11 second runs with a factory catback and secondary cats. Then yes... lol.

Look at my above post. Terry Burgers car was not even a full bolt on car on that run.

Granted hes running 98 octane. But he is testing his OWN software so it's understandable.

12 second runs are normal with 93 octane. You must also remember these cars have direct injection. So you have a bit more leeway on these turbo cars boost wise.

The aftermarket is still in development. Things are still being tested. Eventually these will be down to a fine science, on 93 octane.

Not to mention these cars are fun as hell. I'm not a fan of the styling of the 135 persay. But the 335 is an amazing car. It would be a hard choice for me to pick one of these or an LS3 'vette.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by djsanchez2
H
Here is one run through the gears (a4?) ignore the commercial at the beginning. Modded tuner, intake and CDV??
http://youtube.com/watch?v=gaRVRiNATO0
That is my 135i in the video, it's not and A4.

SSTT tune and Free Flow intake filter are all the engine mods.

CDV (clutch delay valve) mod is a free flow transmission valve replacement to allow quicker shifts with no hesitation.

Stock ran 268/275 on 93
Tuned ran 313/327 on 93

The tune is a chip that plugs off the TMAP and run $475 and takes about 20 minutes to install (have to remove airbox..then plug-n-play)

SSTT is one of the more mild tunes and sets off no codes.

A fully custom tune, on the N54, with DP's and Cat back on stock turbos is in the 370-380 range on 93 oct with 410. There are some N54 motors (mostly the 335i crowd) that are pushing just over 400 with race gas. These are right at the edge though. 400ish is about the max without some serious mods to the motor or turbo. BMW's engine management is pretty restrictive and anything like this would probably require serious mods to this as well.

My car is pretty quick and I would put it in the 107-109 trap speed range. High 12's (like 12.8-.9) would be what I would expect. The run flats would hold it back more than anything. I have not taken it to the track so this is only based on 335i times with same mods. I am a little lighter so make what you will of my swags.

My car is not going to beat any well tuned LS1. I might catch them by surprise if they are in the wrong gear form a roll though.

-Shawn
Old 07-04-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

^^ Nice post. Well rounded, you're realistic about your cars output, yet you give a lot of info on the N54... im assuming that you're talking about the engine code for the motor there. Good info, Shawn.

Do you have plans for any more mods? What would be a "next-step" mod for your setup?

-Welcome to LS1tech.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mystic 98 TA
^^ Nice post. Well rounded, you're realistic about your cars output, yet you give a lot of info on the N54... im assuming that you're talking about the engine code for the motor there. Good info, Shawn.

Do you have plans for any more mods? What would be a "next-step" mod for your setup?

-Welcome to LS1tech.
Thanks, I just ran across this post as a link in my youtube insight. Thought I would share some info about the 135i. I am not much of a mag racer. Trap speed is trap speed...

N54 is the twin turbo six motor in 1/3/5 series (soon to be new 735i as well)

As far as future engine mods...none. Actually this is my wife's daily driver. It faster than she would ever use/need. My daily driver is a truck.

I would look at some rims. The 135i is setup with staggered front rear and is bias towards understeer at the limits. You can power the back end around with the traction control off, but it would be nice if it was neutral. If I changed to 4 of the same sized 18" and got rid of the runflats it would take care of the understeer. Again, the understeer is only at the max on a track...so you would never notice it around town. Even on hard tight turns it's not there.

Any mods beyond this would make it next to impossible for me not to throw engine codes or be noticed during routine service. BMW has a 4 year complete service (oil, brakes, etc.). They also have a data log system that takes ECU reading of events over max stock. These are recorded even though you didn't throw codes. I don't want to risk warranty service denial during the 4 year time. The SSTT tune set up is easy to remove before service calls.

If I was going to completely tune this care I would:

1. shed about 400lbs of exhaust, rims, front seats, stock battery...etc. (2950ish at that point)
2. Proceed V3 tune
3. DP's
4. Larger/lighter IC
5. Full catless exhaust w/o2 sensor bypass

This would make a 380/410 car on 93 oct @ 2950ish lbs.

pics of the car:

Old 07-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Now you have my attention

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they even remotely sound like the E46 M3's with exhaust then I am down for one..
Old 07-05-2008, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Viscious
If they even remotely sound like the E46 M3's with exhaust then I am down for one..
It has great exhaust note. It's even better when you unplug the bypass solenoid right before the muffler. BMW tries to keep it quiet below 3000 rpm. A gold tee plugging the vacuum tube fixes this.

as far as gas milage goes: worst is 18.5 city and best is 27.7 on the highway. (which I got averaging 78 mph for 120 miles). You do need to use 91 oct or better.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6

Not to mention these cars are fun as hell. I'm not a fan of the styling of the 135 persay. But the 335 is an amazing car. It would be a hard choice for me to pick one of these or an LS3 'vette.

Really??? I drove a 335I manual because it was traded in for a G37 coupe and found it to be pretty damn boring. I appreciate the effort that went into making the car smooth and quiet for older folks.. but thats not for me.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:09 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Originally Posted by Viscious
Not as exotic-ish sounding as the E46 M. The turbos quiet the note down a bit. But it's got a bit more grunt to the note.

Originally Posted by sciff5
Really??? I drove a 335I manual because it was traded in for a G37 coupe and found it to be pretty damn boring. I appreciate the effort that went into making the car smooth and quiet for older folks.. but thats not for me.
Both cars have tons of modability. ('Vette and 335)

I love the way they drive, just hate they aren't LSD. And after 2007 MY, there is still no way to have a LS Diff. in the car.

Major downfall on a potential 400rwhp/tq+ car.

Driveability wise, even with coil over suspension and 19" wheels, they still are comfortable, and very daily driveable. Awesome sleeper car that still surprises most. Especially at the limits as a high 11/low 12 car.

I simply couldn't bring myself to DD the 'Vette. Nor is there enough space for me to do so.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:50 PM

^135i has an electronic LSD (if you want to call it that) that uses rear brakes to control power and spin. It works......but not the same...
Old 07-05-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a bad car. Very fun to drive and a pretty good aftermarket potential.

However, it comes down to this question:

Do you keep for more than 4 years or not?
If you don't keep the bimmer, then your fine. If you do, the jury is still well out on how durable and reliable the drivetrain is.

If it's like the M5... or most BMW's i've seen... then you dump them the moment before warranty runs out.
Old 07-05-2008, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Not a bad car. Very fun to drive and a pretty good aftermarket potential.

However, it comes down to this question:

Do you keep for more than 4 years or not?
If you don't keep the bimmer, then your fine. If you do, the jury is still well out on how durable and reliable the drivetrain is.

If it's like the M5... or most BMW's i've seen... then you dump them the moment before warranty runs out.

It all comes down to how many miles and how hard you drive it. If you only have to do routine maintenance and keep the miles under 10k a year it's not that expensive to own out of warranty. BUT....really what car is inexpensive to own out of warranty when something major goes wrong?
Old 07-05-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its an I-6 TT right? Couldnt you just get an ex-mani and bolt bigger twins or a big single to it?
Old 07-05-2008, 08:08 PM

^turbos are tiny snails. Not much room for large single. ECU would also be an issue, unless you had new engine management.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Addict

I for one am a huge fan of these cars. If I had the money to spend on a DD that would be it. A nice small car that makes good power and is very easy and fun to drive at the same time.
Old 07-06-2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro
I for one am a huge fan of these cars. If I had the money to spend on a DD that would be it. A nice small car that makes good power and is very easy and fun to drive at the same time.

base 135i with sport package is around $36,000 out the door. You'll have to order it that way though.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry BMW135i, but BMW is not synonymous with durability.

Case in point:

E60 M5... RCOD, or Red Cog of Death, which happens randomly, and leaves your car completely stranded. There are a few folks running on their 4th SMG transmission. Would I want to pick up the tab on a technocrap transmission? No. Not at BMW's inflated prices. .

Every BMW track rat and aficionado I know says the same thing: They are disposable and you dump them when the warranty is up.

I'm not knocking BMW, just the idea of keeping it beyond warranty. If the E60 M wasn't so damn random with it's transmission, then I'd seriously entertain picking one up. Hell, I was about to pull the trigger on a stripper 135 myself for lighter track duty. They are spanking the new E90/2 M3's and are a great base to build upon.

As for what cars are cheap outside of warranty? Not a lexus, nor a bmw, nor a mercedes. just about any LSx engine'd car is pretty damn cheap out of warranty.
Old 07-06-2008, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Sorry BMW135i, but BMW is not synonymous with durability.

Case in point:

E60 M5... RCOD, or Red Cog of Death, which happens randomly, and leaves your car completely stranded. There are a few folks running on their 4th SMG transmission. Would I want to pick up the tab on a technocrap transmission? No. Not at BMW's inflated prices. .

Every BMW track rat and aficionado I know says the same thing: They are disposable and you dump them when the warranty is up.

I'm not knocking BMW, just the idea of keeping it beyond warranty. If the E60 M wasn't so damn random with it's transmission, then I'd seriously entertain picking one up. Hell, I was about to pull the trigger on a stripper 135 myself for lighter track duty. They are spanking the new E90/2 M3's and are a great base to build upon.

As for what cars are cheap outside of warranty? Not a lexus, nor a bmw, nor a mercedes. just about any LSx engine'd car is pretty damn cheap out of warranty.
Never said it was, I wouldn't keep it if is wasn't my wife driving 7K a year. The last two MB's (CLK500 and E350) both had MAJOR dif and trans issues under 15K. This was the reason I didn't keep them. This 1 is very simple. Not a lot of electronics and it's a 6 speed manual. The only thing that scares me about it is the turbos. Since I don't "rail" on the car we will see how the 4th year shapes up before I decided to trade it in. Right now purchase is better than lease with this car.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BMW135i
Never said it was, I wouldn't keep it if is wasn't my wife driving 7K a year. The last two MB's (CLK500 and E350) both had MAJOR dif and trans issues under 15K. This was the reason I didn't keep them. This 1 is very simple. Not a lot of electronics and it's a 6 speed manual. The only thing that scares me about it is the turbos. Since I don't "rail" on the car we will see how the 4th year shapes up before I decided to trade it in. Right now purchase is better than lease with this car.
i think BMW hit a homerun with this car. satisfied the enthusiast and the mainstream BMW crowd at the same time. i have so many questions to ask you about this car, but i don't want to bother you because i could go on forever. my dream car is still an E46 330ci btw. i don't know why i love that car so much, i just have to own one sometime in life.

anyways, congrats on the new car, i like your taste in color!
Old 07-06-2008, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i think BMW hit a homerun with this car. satisfied the enthusiast and the mainstream BMW crowd at the same time. i have so many questions to ask you about this car, but i don't want to bother you because i could go on forever. my dream car is still an E46 330ci btw. i don't know why i love that car so much, i just have to own one sometime in life.

anyways, congrats on the new car, i like your taste in color!
If you haven't test driven one, I suggest you do. Try to find the 6 speed manual if you can.

Thanks...

Quick Reply: BMW 135i twin turbo