Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Challenger Drag Package

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008 | 09:19 AM
Banned

Default Challenger Drag Package

Forget the Challenger SRT-8.

Yesterday, Dodge informed the public, showed the folks at the races, they are building 100 Charger Drag Cars. Approximately 1,000# less than the production unit. 4100 - 1000 About 3200#, nice! Cars will be offered in both auto and manual, cool! The article says the whole package MID 30's, no XXXX? Built to conform to NHRA specifications to run Comp, Super Stock, or Stock class.

And this is from a manufacturer that's almost OUT OF MONEY.

As we wait for the new Camaro - pricing, specifications, performance figures, etc. etc. another manufacturer brings this to the table!!

In my opinion GM is getting its *** HANDED TO THEM - sad!

Jakes Dad
Old 07-14-2008 | 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I've been getting unconfirmed reports of GM doing something like this -- complete with an option of a live rear axle. We'll see if it actually goes through -- bureaucracy.
Old 07-14-2008 | 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This was discussed in great length the first time it was announced. You are a little late, not that anyone will be surprised.
Old 07-14-2008 | 11:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
This was discussed in great length the first time it was announced. You are a little late, not that anyone will be surprised.
Over my 62 years of life. I have read thousands or articles about what auto manufacturers MIGHT do in the future.

Do you remember the Bel Air?

The RWD Impala

Twin turbo I-6 13 second T/Blazer

Have you ever seen these cars in Production?

Once upon a time GM built a car called Camaro. They stopped making them. Then, they said they were make it again. I'll bet when the vehicle becomes REAL. I'll bet you'll see hundreds of new posts at LS-1 Tech talking about the finished products.

Hopefully, discussing something and then seeing it for real is different in EVEN your mind? But perhaps you only wanted a reaction for me. thanks!

Jakes Dad
Old 07-14-2008 | 01:24 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Question

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
This was discussed in great length the first time it was announced. You are a little late
Yeah, wasn't there a thread started just a week or two ago, in THIS very section of the board, about this Drag Pack Challenger?
Old 07-14-2008 | 01:27 PM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Talking

Yes, I knew I saw it before, here it is:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotive-news-media-press/947401-dodge-challenger-drag-pac.html

I think they ONLY call it news when it's new information, correct?
Old 07-14-2008 | 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947401

Ok, I looked at the old thread. Even looked at some pictures, I think you posted. Guess what, the real car color isn't what was posted. One person thought the cost would be over 100K, wrong again. No one know the official weight. Who posted the number that would be built? Who posted they would be manual and auto?

There is new information posted about old stuff everyday. You don't like the fact I posted it. I am flatter!

Jakes Dad
Old 07-16-2008 | 06:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Challenger in drag: Mopar outfits muscle coupe for NHRA competition

By GREG MIGLIORE

Dodge Challenger drag package.

Dodge is dressing the Challenger in drag--NHRA livery, that is.

Dodge showed off two Challenger drag-race-package prototypes last weekend at the Mile-High Nationals in Colorado and plans build at least 100 of the cars to meet NHRA requirements beginning in late summer. Prices are expected to start in the low-$30,000s range.

The car will be eligible to compete in three Eliminator categories--Comp, Super Stock and Stock--as well as potentially 40 classes. The drag Challenger follows in the tradition of the 1968 package cars, the Dodge Dart and the Plymouth Barracuda, which helped cement Mopar's credibility in the quarter-mile.

Chrysler first showed a drag-outfitted Challenger at last year's SEMA show. The racers are based on the Challenger SRT8, but the Mopar boys have shaved about 1000 pounds off the production car by cutting out HVAC, airbags, rear seats and a host of other parts needed for street driving. The 116-inch wheelbase was also shrunk by half an inch.

Two Hemi powerplants, 6.1-liter and 5.7-liter V8s, will be available, as well as a 5.9-liter Magnum Wedge. They will be mated to automatic or manual transmissions.

Unique drag parts include a composite lift-off hood, polycarbonate door windows, a lightweight cooling module with an electric fan, manual rack-and-pinion steering and a lightweight front brake assembly.

The first two cars were tested in June as proof of concept for NHRA certification. At the Mile-High Nationals last weekend, two drag-racing icons, Don Garlits and Judy Lilly, took them through their inaugural track runs.

The drag Challengers will be built at Chrysler's Brampton, Ontario, plant, where the street car is also assembled.

This article was last updated on: 07/16/08, 15:28 et

http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl...8/newsletter01
Old 07-16-2008 | 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

I wonder how much it would take to make it street legal.

The price is in the low to mid 30s and I'm sure you can substitute the 394 HEMI in place of the 6.1 too.
Old 07-16-2008 | 10:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by LS1LT1

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=947401

Damn , don't get your panties all fluffed up now !
What a bunch of juveniles .
Old 07-17-2008 | 02:34 AM
10 Second Club
20 Year Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Damn , don't get your panties all fluffed up now !
What a bunch of juveniles .
Wait, couldn't your post also appear to be that of someone who seems to be getting their panties all fluffed up as well?

Quick Reply: Challenger Drag Package