Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

CNBC--Saving GM--Special TV Presentation

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CNBC--Saving GM--Special TV Presentation

Airing Wednesday August 6th, 2008 on CNBC at 9 PM ET.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

I've been seeing the ads on CNBC for weeks now, I'll be watching.
Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't really watch TV so thank you for alerting me!
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

ill watch it. im off next week and thats my Bday.

sadly i dont think its going to change peoples views of the domestic auto industry right now.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Place a 10k tax on every car not made here. Will bring jobs back here pronto.

W
Old 08-01-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

CNBC is “Saving GM”

Anyone here disconnected from reality?

By Robert Farago
August 1, 2008

TTAC has its General Motors Death Watch Series and innumerable daily blogs on The General's fall and fall, but CNBC has it's own GM's Up **** Creek website. In anticipation of next Wednesday's documentary "Saving GM," the peakcock people have added a new url to their e-arsenal: insidegm.cnbc.com.

Of course, the title of this magnum opus and the fact that GM advertises heavily on NBC will have alerted TTAC's Best and Brightest that a major PR job is in the offing. (I'm thinking that if you downed a shot of Jack Daniels a everytime your heard the word "embattled," "beleaguered," "challenge" or similar, you'd be wasted by the first commercial break.) The program's strapline tells the tale: "In this original documentary, CNBC's Phil LeBeau goes inside GM [it was raining at the time] and reports on the company's dramatic struggle to transform its tarnished image and sagging fortunes."

Even without whiskey, there's some funny **** coming down. In a clip from the show, Phil says, without irony, that Car Czar Maximum Bob Lutz' first job was getting his employer out of denial. And yet… "The quality gap only remains in the public's awareness," Maximum Bob asserts. "It's gone." Well something's gone; like CNBC's credibility. Wait, did they ever have any?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Robert Farago is another hopelessly clueless, anti-american piece of **** who couldn't see quality if it slapped him in the face, unless the Japanese told him it was.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:46 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
Robert Farago is another hopelessly clueless, anti-american piece of **** who couldn't see quality if it slapped him in the face, unless the Japanese told him it was.
Yes, what a Nipponphile douchebag!!!

Like his beloved TOYota (or other import nameplates) never advertises on NBC or it's affiliates??!
Old 08-01-2008, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by WECIV
Place a 10k tax on every car made by an import nameplate manufacturer. Will bring jobs back here pronto.

W
Fixed it for ya.

Yes, and before all of the 'globalist Econ 101ers' come on here and start screaming free market trade capitalism this, commie protectionism that, etc., etc. just remember that THEY do worse to U.S.!!!

(And P.S.; F*** your old "two wrongs don't make a right" response, it holds NO
water when people are starving in THIS (OUR, I thought??) country right NOW!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2008, 08:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually you messed it up. If Toyota, Bimmer, Nissan, etc want to build cars here...do not tax them any extra. But if they import the damn car here already made...tax the **** out of it. I am trying to encourage investment in our econ

W
Old 08-01-2008, 08:35 PM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by DrkPhynx
EXACTLY!
The quality gap IS gone, the general car buying public is simply too brainwashed and too damn blind to see it though.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Let's all email and tell them to go to hell.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anybody watch it? Turned out to be a great show, lots of cool info and a good bit was even on the new camaro.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

it was good . lutz really wants to get GM back to where it was. while wagoner has done some good things i still wish hed step down.

seeing that camaro in action got me pumped.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

i watched it as well, came out pretty good. While i agree Wagoner did come in a terrible time and i'm not going to say it was his fault because there have been a lot of contributing factors. But when it comes down to it the company has lost tons of market share and i dont care what you are in, buisness, sports, if you arn't doing the job you are out of there. Does it mean you were at complete fault....no, but having a new face and new direction somtimes can help.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Resident

God, some of the "Expert" comments are so full of it. Some of the Rhetoric has been; "GM has been doing everything wrong with respect to releasing large trucks and SUV's". GM has always been selling large trucks, In fact GM's trucks have been getting better mileage year over year when Toyota opens up their giant polluting full size truck plant in Texas at exactly the wrong time. Nissan, beats the other Foreign makes to a true full size truck with their "worst in class" gas mileage Titan and Armada. The V8 4runner gets worst gas mileage than a full size 5.3 Suburban. The FJ gets horrendous mileage for a small SUV. Even Honda released the poor gas mileage Ridgeline at the exact wrong time.

One supposed expert states "if GM lets us down one more time they will lose that customer forever". My experience contradics this entirely. I have bought 3 new GM vehicles in the last 8 years and no issues. The one Toyota I have, is noisey (engine and wind), gets poor gas mileage for its size, has no room and if I had bought it new which I did not it would have tipped the scale at 28k

Our American manufacturers are doing us so wrong!!!! Bullsheet, these "foreign" manufactures are delivering the worst gas mileage vehicles ever at the exact "wrong time" and they are not held accountable. And they appease us with what? A Prius, the sheeple vehicle....Please...Hypocritical Bastards. At least they can employ us if they make their billions off of us!

Overall, an interesting show though.

Last edited by TT632; 08-07-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:41 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TT632
One supposed expert states "if GM lets us down one more time they will lose that customer forever".
Yup, but TOY (where he gets his media 'payola' from ), can do NO WRONG<-, of course!
NO MATTER how much they charge, nor what goes wrong with them the shlemmings will still insist on supporting ONLY Japan's economy, even in these times!!
Old 08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

My girlfriend has a 08 corolla and after 4 months it needed a new tranny and even with the new tranny it still clunks into gear and sometimes grinds into gear.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jusTAnother
My girlfriend has a 08 corolla and after 4 months it needed a new tranny and even with the new tranny it still clunks into gear and sometimes grinds into gear.
That can't be, it's a Toyota!
Old 08-07-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Wink

Originally Posted by TriShield
CNBC is “Saving GM”

Anyone here disconnected from reality?

By Robert Farago
August 1, 2008

TTAC has its General Motors Death Watch Series and innumerable daily blogs on The General's fall and fall, but CNBC has it's own GM's Up **** Creek website. In anticipation of next Wednesday's documentary "Saving GM," the peacock people have added a new url to their e-arsenal: insidegm.cnbc.com.

Of course, the title of this magnum opus and the fact that GM advertises heavily on NBC will have alerted TTAC's Best and Brightest that a major PR job is in the offing. (I'm thinking that if you downed a shot of Jack Daniels a everytime your heard the word "embattled," "beleaguered," "challenge" or similar, you'd be wasted by the first commercial break.) The program's strapline tells the tale: "In this original documentary, CNBC's Phil LeBeau goes inside GM [it was raining at the time] and reports on the company's dramatic struggle to transform its tarnished image and sagging fortunes."

Even without whiskey, there's some funny **** coming down. In a clip from the show, Phil says, without irony, that Car Czar Maximum Bob Lutz' first job was getting his employer out of denial. And yet… "The quality gap only remains in the public's awareness," Maximum Bob asserts. "It's gone." Well something's gone; like CNBC's credibility. Wait, did they ever have any?
Please check the latest J.D.Powers MOST RELIABLE vehicles in 2008 for a more comprehensive understanding !

Quick Reply: CNBC--Saving GM--Special TV Presentation