Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

2009 CTS v dyno sheets! :)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome gains with the tune man, and what a good looking car!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:23 AM
Teching In

Amazing. After GM spent several man-years and millions of dollars to perfect the calibration of the new CTSV, you claim to have fixed all the milage 'flaws' and found another 50 hp & tq. You should go to them and request a job as 'cheif calibrator' and demand millions. After all, if you can have this result from a couple hours of tinkering, think what you could do if you had the keys to the candy store.

Forgive me for being sarcastic, but you also have the motive of selling your wares - so I remain highly sceptical of your claims.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Launching!

Manufacturers build a ton of safety into their tunes to keep idiots that put 87 in the tank and then lug the engine in 6th gear at 30mph from shattering a piston. If you're willing to commit to running premium and not lugging the engine, there's always a lot of power to be found in the stock tune.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mikels
Amazing. After GM spent several man-years and millions of dollars to perfect the calibration of the new CTSV, you claim to have fixed all the milage 'flaws' and found another 50 hp & tq. You should go to them and request a job as 'cheif calibrator' and demand millions. After all, if you can have this result from a couple hours of tinkering, think what you could do if you had the keys to the candy store.

Forgive me for being sarcastic, but you also have the motive of selling your wares - so I remain highly sceptical of your claims.
A polite Mike Nice. Pathetic.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im Gladly open to people bringing THIER car over to see the before and after... Im sure it will mimick the same results.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Ahh and tony, I dont have to touch the low octane tables, so if someone was to dump in crap gas, it would lower itself down and still be safe. I also didnt touch any timing that is changed via IAT or coolant so it will continue to be safe thru the temps. I always try to keep the same level of safety put into them. I dont mind giving up a few horsepower to be dependable. If the customer wants more they can get it other ways..
Old 12-12-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2c5s
A polite Mike Nice. Pathetic.
You can only hope to contain him, he is unbannable!!!
Old 12-12-2008, 02:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by onebadcad
You can only hope to contain him, he is unbannable!!!
I don't care one way or another, although he is entertaining in a childish kind of way.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by PureSnow
Realisticly, this cts-v section without Mike Nice is not worth visiting.
He makes the time go by like no else I've never seen. such carisma
in this forum and real life.
I purchased a pit bull puppy from him a few yrs back,
and being he didn't want me to make a spontanious choice he invited me to
stay at his house for the weekend. (I live 2 hrs. south of his Pa. home)
There a life long friendship was made. His knowlege of his dogs, nature, and science is mindblowing. The funny part is he's just as sarcastic in
person, but he can pull it off as he always has a **** eatin grin while throwing around
his one liners.
I called him lastnight and he said he's not intrested in the hipocrits
that run the site.
I guess the mods hacked up his threads with sophmoric banter.
So much for teaching by example. one thing is certain real recognises real, and ***** recognises *****.
I assume this cts-v section will be as boring as it was before.
I thought i owed him this much, sorry for the disturbance.

Ray.
Oh Mike, there you go again.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Launching!

excellent work!
Old 12-12-2008, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mikels

This is pretty normal for any vehicle to see an improvement in gas mileage and power with a custom tune. Manufacturers design conservative maps. A good tuner perfects the map and keeps it safe.

My STi saw and increase of 50 whp and 87 wtq from a custom tune while MPG went from 19 to 25 mpg. The numbers W4M got from his tune are very believable. I hope he can create one for my V soon.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I, too, must confess (damn, another AA meeting, I thought last night's got me good for the rest of the week) that I and MikeNice have a previous history. It started late one night in the dark corner of a musty bar, on the Southside of Providence, near the harbor, but not close enough to hear the freighters blow their horn as they approached the harbormaster. I had just returned stateside after a rather long engagement with the FFL (that's French Foreign Legion for your civilian types) and was feeling down, as my former fiance Titsy had just left me for a Rosie O'Donnell look-a-like; this was just after I had paid $450.00 for a econo boob job for her in Tijuana. I never complained about the imbalance of the final product, as being cross-eyed from the mule kick I received in elementary school while on a field trip to Mr. Borden's farm, made them almost appear symmetrical. MikeNice offered to sell me a runt from his litter, a mangy **** named Breakfast, who had an unfortunate accident that made him a three-legged hopper; Mike always swore that a hyperdose of Acme ***** Enlargement pills would make Breakfast return to his Greyhound-envied running days, but Breakfast abhorred the stench of those supplements and never was able to return to his previous form. On an aside, he did receive a 25% discount on all his manicures/pedicures at PetSmart. I took Breakfast home, he was a faithful companion and domestic caretaker for ten years, until that terrible day when he raced a Porsche TT, won, and drank himself to death celebrating his Uber Victory; not to be dismayed, as he will return, as he is still encased in dry ice in my basement freezer in hopes that Ted Williams foray into Cryonics will not be in vain, for him, or my faithful pooch. Those few minutes in that sleazy bar, where it appeared women were banned and MikeNice kept spilling his drink in my lap and then offering a helping hand even though I had a plethora of napkins, changed my life forever. I am not sure he will ever return, as he probably feels unappreciated and misunderstood, but his friendship will live on forever, if not on this forum, at least in my freezer, next to the ice cream sandwiches and venison.

Sorry MikeNice, but I am even sorrier for the threadjack---too many damn kids in my house, most of them are not mine, and I have taken refuge on the computer,,,

Last edited by onebadcad; 12-13-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:48 AM
Teching In

While I agree that factory calibrations are what some would call conservative, does anyone bother to understand why? Close coupled catalysts must remain below a certain temperature to not self distruct - leaning mixture (while possibly making more power) will result in catalyst core temperatures exceeding design limits - and will fail. Any mixture alone is rarely the tool to get big "gains". That comes from spark.

Spark tuning from OEM's is done in a controlled environment for determining what max spark for peak power is. Tuning is then refined for 'real world' operation, as even with best knock controll systems used, it is always better to run close to the knock limit, but not over as it requires drastic reduction in spark timing to get rid of knock once it occurs (just look as combustion pressures and temperatures during a knock event to understand).

Comments on turbo motors - very easy with electronic controlled wastegatges to increase boost to engine - but does the tuner ever plot where this modification puts the operation on a compressor map? There are design limits here as well that few tuners bother to even look at, let alone understand.

As far as fuel economy, does anyone really believe in this day of CAFE, emissions and competative advantage, that manufacturers really leave anything on the table for milage improvements? If so, you are dilusional. OEM's spend millions (literally) looking for 0.1 mpg improvements. By what mechanism do you propose that such an increase is coming from? If the engine is still running the same RPM (same gearing), and running stoich (14.7:1), where is the improvment comming from? Think about that one.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

Nice gains, especially on the mpg. I am disappointed in the stock rwhp, I honestly thought it would be higher. I wonder if GM limits the boost on the CTS-V and ZR1 for the initial breakin like Ford did for the GT500?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NinjactsV
i'd rather have a turbo'ed 2006 cts-v.
it's 370lbs. lighter and makes the same power at 4.5 psi.
But would you be able to drop off your car at the dealer for warranty work if something went wrong? No.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVR1A_B0p2Y
Old 12-13-2008, 03:03 PM
TECH Regular

hate to break into the tuneing talk party... but has anyone tried to take a new cts v rear end out and put in a gen 1 v? you dont seem afraid to use your new v as a test dummy so what do ya say!
Old 12-13-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PureSnow
From what I gather talking to him, he said his dealer deemed his
turbo system as, a "bolt on exhaust sytem" which doesnt void anything.

He also said he's friends with the service mngr.
Which doesnt suprise me.

He also went on to say if the motor let's go he would understandibly
eat it...and then go forged and 12psi.
Like he said "it's a win, win".

Ray
OK then. The new CTS V is not for him.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:09 AM
Launching!

The wall seems pretty close to the rear bumper. Do some cars not fit?

Could you explain the details of why the mpg goes up? Or what changes make the mpg go up?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by onebadcad
I, too, must confess (damn, another AA meeting, I thought last night's got me good for the rest of the week) that I and MikeNice have a previous history. It started late one night in the dark corner of a musty bar, on the Southside of Providence, near the harbor, but not close enough to hear the freighters blow their horn as they approached the harbormaster. I had just returned stateside after a rather long engagement with the FFL (that's French Foreign Legion for your civilian types) and was feeling down, as my former fiance Titsy had just left me for a Rosie O'Donnell look-a-like; this was just after I had paid $450.00 for a econo boob job for her in Tijuana. I never complained about the imbalance of the final product, as being cross-eyed from the mule kick I received in elementary school while on a field trip to Mr. Borden's farm, made them almost appear symmetrical. MikeNice offered to sell me a runt from his litter, a mangy **** named Breakfast, who had an unfortunate accident that made him a three-legged hopper; Mike always swore that a hyperdose of Acme ***** Enlargement pills would make Breakfast return to his Greyhound-envied running days, but Breakfast abhorred the stench of those supplements and never was able to return to his previous form. On an aside, he did receive a 25% discount on all his manicures/pedicures at PetSmart. I took Breakfast home, he was a faithful companion and domestic caretaker for ten years, until that terrible day when he raced a Porsche TT, won, and drank himself to death celebrating his Uber Victory; not to be dismayed, as he will return, as he is still encased in dry ice in my basement freezer in hopes that Ted Williams foray into Cryonics will not be in vain, for him, or my faithful pooch. Those few minutes in that sleazy bar, where it appeared women were banned and MikeNice kept spilling his drink in my lap and then offering a helping hand even though I had a plethora of napkins, changed my life forever. I am not sure he will ever return, as he probably feels unappreciated and misunderstood, but his friendship will live on forever, if not on this forum, at least in my freezer, next to the ice cream sandwiches and venison.

Sorry MikeNice, but I am even sorrier for the threadjack---too many damn kids in my house, most of them are not mine, and I have taken refuge on the computer,,,
PuR3 G0Ld

-Chris

Quick Reply: 2009 CTS v dyno sheets! :)