Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

my new $160 magnaflow catback!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good choice and use of money!
Old 03-03-2009, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

I just noticed that the past few days, i've been backfiring a bit when shifting. It's not too loud but definitely noticeable and pops a few times in between gears. This was not the case for the first 3-4 weeks that I had the muffler delete mod. What could have changed to cause backfires?
Old 03-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

oh great, right after i buy the parts people find problems...
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

lol i think i've probably got a bad plug or wire....
Curious to see what others say though. This is the first I've heard of this after cutting off mufflers, so I'm assuming its just bad timing on my end.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Regular

well ive heard some exhaust systems (usually flowmaster on deceleration) that have some poping due to unburned gases igniting in the exhaust. doesnt cause any issues other than sounding crappy. some guys like the sound though. kinda like a race car.

my camaro used to do it when the motor was cold (the exhaust warming up faster), and would go away when everything was at normal operating temps.

but if you drove it for 3-4 weeks before it started, im sure it's something unrelated to the exhaust change...

just my 2 cents though.

jeremy
Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM
Teching In

got me contemplating it now........hmm
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 AM
Teching In

I just bought the Magnaflow tips for $72 shipped and an X pipe off flea bay for $35 shipped. I didn't really see any reason to buy the Magnaflow X pipe. For the most part, pipe is pipe. Now I just have to see how much the local shops will charge me to cut and weld everything.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

im still waiting for my xpipe. i cant wait. im going to use some 3" stainless pipe that i had left over for my tips. nothing flashy, just all business.

i'll post pics and a vid one i get it done.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

well i got my xpipe. i took it down today and had it done. i used some left over SS 3" pipe for the tips. so it cost me 84 for the xpipe, 180 to have it all put on. better than 800+ on the magnaflow, and it sounds way more aggressive!

i just took a quick vid of some light throttle passes....and yes my car has a little pop during shifts too...

here
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=8128
Old 03-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Staging Lane

installed tips!! chopped mufflers off, left resonator, very deep, mild tone to it, sounds great at wot, but not to loud, just loud enough to tell its not a stock exhaust, all my friends love it so im happy!!! saved 700 buck too!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

well, my wife is pretty much making me put some mufflers on. i dont really realize how loud it is until she takes it somewhere and i hear her leave. it is pretty friggin loud. im sure its the rowdiest sounding LS6 in town.

i think im gonna put on some magnaflow race bullets....should sound good and not too quiet...
Old 03-10-2009, 05:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SS#1230
well, my wife is pretty much making me put some mufflers on. i dont really realize how loud it is until she takes it somewhere and i hear her leave. it is pretty friggin loud. im sure its the rowdiest sounding LS6 in town.

i think im gonna put on some magnaflow race bullets....should sound good and not too quiet...
Sounds like it's time to get a divorce
Old 03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

na, she's the coolest wife i could hope to have.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Launching!

the popping is due to lack of back pressure. small cubic inch motors with low compression needs the back pressure. ss#1230 is right the popping is the unburnt fuel in the pipes and the problem is sufficiently less with proper back pressure and you will also find that with the deleted mufflers you are most definitely making less power.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BOATDOCTOR
the popping is due to lack of back pressure. small cubic inch motors with low compression needs the back pressure. ss#1230 is right the popping is the unburnt fuel in the pipes and the problem is sufficiently less with proper back pressure and you will also find that with the deleted mufflers you are most definitely making less power.
Sorry, but I'm going to need to see DYNO slips on this claim.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

A tune will get rid of the popping.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deedubb
Sorry, but I'm going to need to see DYNO slips on this claim.
i would be willing to place a wager with any one of you guys that has done this. stock motor with muffler delete vs. my stock motor with magnaflow cat back. or we could ask ss once he puts his mufflers on what he thinks.

p.s. i build high performance motors for a living
Old 03-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

i dont agree, i agree on the popping, which as of rite now mine has very little of, but theres no way im making less power than i was with mufflers, any exhaust restriction that is taken off can only gain, probably to little to notice, but definatly no loss, im thinking about taking resonator off next, but im affraid the popping will be unbearable if i do, and probably to loud for my needs
Old 03-11-2009, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

i would be willing to place a wager with any one of you guys that has done this. stock motor with muffler delete vs. my stock motor with magnaflow cat back. or we could ask ss once he puts his mufflers on what he thinks.

p.s. i build high performance motors for a living
URBAN MYTH
http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/html_pr...torquemyth.htm
Old 03-12-2009, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deedubb
mainly big cubic inch motor with 9:1 compression and up love open exhaust. on our high performance boats we put 4 and a half inch tail pipes that are generally only 2 to no longer than 3 feet right of the header. but with a stock small c.u.i engine they dont produce enough exhaust pressure or cylinder temperature to efficiently scavenge the exhaust. for instance with my off road race truck i have a 383 c.u.i small block with 11.8:1 compression alluminum heads etc. i ran the truck for 2 years with straight headers and this year i put 3 and a half inch exhaust with flomaster race mufflers and the horsepower and torque especially increased significantly. granted it wasnt much back pressure but there was a lil. that motor makes right at 675 horsepower. btw when i say big c.u.i motors im not talking 454. we build small blocks bigger than that, im talking 600 to 700 c.u.i

our motors bone stock with stock intakes and tune etc. and muffler delete will never make the power it will with a high end exh. borla magnaflow etc. i suppose at wot you might see similar hp #'s but a decrease in torque and tourqe is what moves the car. hp is just a bragging number.

further more the sound of our cars with the muffler delete to me is undesireable. but, too each is own. personally i think it depreciates the value of our cars and i start to think of mustang. gm has such a great tone! why make it sound like a hollow poppy mustang?

if you like it that is awesome and in no way am i trying to put any of you down just trying to help

Quick Reply: my new $160 magnaflow catback!