Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Whats the difference cts v with roof or no roof

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the difference cts v with roof or no roof

hey i was wondering, ive been in the market for a cts v, and i saw several 2005 cts v i am interested in ..

i thought all 2005 cts v comes with sunroof. but this one i saw didnt come with sun roof.

1) are those special ordered cars?

2) reasoning?

3) any differnece?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

The No Sun Roof car's are rarer, supposidley there is some weight savings, and a little more interior room height. But I like my Sunroof - especially in So Cal!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish I didn't have my sunroof. I rarely use it...even when I lived in Cali.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No moonroof here

I had to hunt and hunt to find one w/o, when I bought my car new way back when. It was an option on the '04, '05 cars, and came standard on '06/'07 (but could be optionally deleted).

Pro's for haing no moonroof:

1) Weight. The assembly weighs around 75lbs, and that mass is high in the car. Not having it lowers the car's center of gravity which is nice if you track your car. Think about the money some people spend to lighten a car. removing 75lbs, especially hight up is the equivalent weight wise of spending $4k on carbon fiber cladding for the car.
2) Stiffness. Not having it makes the car a tad bit more stiff. Probabaly something that 99% of us would probabaly never notice, but still...
3) Headroom. This is a big one, you actually gain over an inch of head room. I'm not a big guy, but with my helmet on at the track I didn't want to be hitting my head. Also I've driven genI cts's with the moonroof as a loaner when my car was in the shop, and it does make the car seem a lot bigger inside.
4) No extra noise at very high speeds. OK I know most of us aren;t cruising around at 120+, but the moonroof makes weird noises at that speed
5) Sail Panels. This one is open for debate, but sail panels comming loose in the rear of the car is a known issue. I've had plenty of problems with my car, but never a sail panel issue, and I drive windows down from april to october (85k miles on the clock), and this includes a lot of really fast driving at the track with all the windows down. I really think the way the moonroof makes the airflow through the cabine when it's open contributes to the sail panel issues. All things considered though, this is really not a big thing.
6) One less thing to go wrong, and you'll never have to worry about a weather leak (although the moonroofs in our cars are not known for this issue).

So in a nutshell, I think the two biggest things for ar weight and head room. Obviously if you can't live without a hole in the roof, then get one with a moonroof. The ones w/o are pretty rare.

I hunted for mine because I knew I wanted to track the car, and it would eventually end up as a track *****.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trukk
No moonroof here

I had to hunt and hunt to find one w/o, when I bought my car new way back when. It was an option on the '04, '05 cars, and came standard on '06/'07 (but could be optionally deleted).

1) Weight. The assembly weighs around 75lbs, and that mass is high in the car. Not having it lowers the car's center of gravity which is nice if you track your car. Think about the money some people spend to lighten a car. removing 75lbs, especially hight up is the equivalent weight wise of spending $4k on carbon fiber cladding for the car.
2) Stiffness. Not having it makes the car a tad bit more stiff. Probabaly something that 99% of us would probabaly never notice, but still...
3) Headroom. This is a big one, you actually gain over an inch of head room. I'm not a big guy, but with my helmet on at the track I didn't want to be hitting my head. Also I've driven genI cts's with the moonroof as a loaner when my car was in the shop, and it does make the car seem a lot bigger inside.
4) No extra noise at very high speeds. OK I know most of us aren;t cruising around at 120+, but the moonroof makes weird noises at that speed
5) Sail Panels. This one is open for debate, but sail panels comming loose in the rear of the car is a known issue. I've had plenty of problems with my car, but never a sail panel issue, and I drive windows down from april to october (85k miles on the clock), and this includes a lot of really fast driving at the track with all the windows down. I really think the way the moonroof makes the airflow through the cabine when it's open contributes to the sail panel issues. All things considered though, this is really not a big thing.
6) One less thing to go wrong, and you'll never have to worry about a weather leak (although the moonroofs in our cars are not known for this issue).

So in a nutshell, I think the two biggest things for ar weight and head room. Obviously if you can't live without a hole in the roof, then get one with a moonroof. The ones w/o are pretty rare.

I hunted for mine because I knew I wanted to track the car, and it would eventually end up as a track *****.

-Chris
whatever trukk all your mods are for the bling factor anyway
Old 03-06-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there anyway a mod could merge these two identical threads?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brentman2007
Busted. I'm all about the koZm3tiks.

-Chris
Old 03-06-2009, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brentman2007
hahahaha.....
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by trukk
No moonroof here

-Chris
Good post.

I wanted one without the sunroof because I needed the extra headroom. I'm almost 6'6" barefoot so obviously an inch or two makes all the difference despite what my wife tells me.

I also wanted a V that was as light as possible and that extra 75 lbs or so in the roof is huge during cornering. I forget the stats but eliminating that weight up top is the equivelent of lowering the car several inches.

The 75 lbs I saved with no sunroof was offset by the Maggie so my car in theory is the same weight as a stock sunroof car except I have the additional power of a supercharger. That's a fair trade I would say.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I kinda wish I could have found one without a roof but I thought when I was looking that 04 was the only 'option' year. Oh well I like what I've got 'ok'.

Quick Reply: Whats the difference cts v with roof or no roof