Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

my 'cradle crushers!' spacers wheel hop fix

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
What size washers are you using for the front/rear?
1 1/4" in the front and 1 3/4" in the rear. I just added additional washers last night. It was a tight squeeze but I got them in. 2 on top and 2 on the bottom all the way around.
Old 03-19-2009, 02:36 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smoothmarine187
1 1/4" in the front and 1 3/4" in the rear. I just added additional washers last night. It was a tight squeeze but I got them in. 2 on top and 2 on the bottom all the way around.
I assume you are talking about 1-1/4" and 1-3/4" bolt size right? I went out and picked up the 1-1/4" yeseterday, getting the bigger ones tomorrow.
Old 03-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I assume you are talking about 1-1/4" and 1-3/4" bolt size right? I went out and picked up the 1-1/4" yeseterday, getting the bigger ones tomorrow.
Right. 1 3/4" are hard to find unless you have a place like Fastenal nearby.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:39 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone know the OD of the steel sleeve inside of the bushing? I have access to 3/16" washers @ 2" diameter. Will the 2" work, or do i need larger washers?
Old 05-12-2009, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does it work? That is the question.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:57 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

In theory, pre-loading the bushings is a step in preventing wheel hop. The IRS in the CTS-V was designed for a cadillac ride. Not the Vette Performance. Thus where the problem lies. A sport tuned suspension needs to "feel" the road. Softer bushings increase ride comfort and road grip. Tighten it up.... rather than the wheels intermittently slipping and grabbing (wheel-hop)... you get wheel spin then grab. Just like every other high HP car out there.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:34 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I cannot 100% agree with you. But i do agree that the oscillation is a contributing factor. That is proven. Deflection in pinion angle, carrier and axles all together creates this oscillation effect. There are many things out there to "improve wheel hop" so it limits the oscillation. Every part of the carrier housing, supports and half shafts have proven to be unreliable. Half shafts have been seen to break after BMR and KARS kits are installed to "stabilize" deflection during high torque applications to the differential. Next weekest link... half shafts.

On the cadillac site... a company was on there selling upgraded halfshafts at different sizes between left and right. Two vehicles were used for testing. A consumers and one of the designers/salesmens. The consumer grenaded his differential at the track.

The only true fix, is a beefed up housing and upgraded halfshafts. This is could cost 6K to 8K. Even you(mike nice) with the 06-07 differential have said that your WOT in 3rd or higher to limit wheel hop.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:36 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not tracking my car, so therefore im looking for the 80% solution. I have seen wheel hop only three times. I would like to do what i can while saving money at the same time for a "real" differential setup.

look at this as a...for the time being thing!
Old 05-12-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboCtsV1
untill these caltech physisists lol figure this stuff out, i'm keeping my rear in one piece.

whats that supposed to mean?

i only had to look at the youtube vid of the cradle flopping around under the car to figure that tightening up the works can't hurt.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought the extended warranty.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:05 AM
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by -T-
I cannot 100% agree with you. But i do agree that the oscillation is a contributing factor. That is proven. Deflection in pinion angle, carrier and axles all together creates this oscillation effect. There are many things out there to "improve wheel hop" so it limits the oscillation. Every part of the carrier housing, supports and half shafts have proven to be unreliable. Half shafts have been seen to break after BMR and KARS kits are installed to "stabilize" deflection during high torque applications to the differential. Next weekest link... half shafts.

On the cadillac site... a company was on there selling upgraded halfshafts at different sizes between left and right. Two vehicles were used for testing. A consumers and one of the designers/salesmens. The consumer grenaded his differential at the track.

The only true fix, is a beefed up housing and upgraded halfshafts. This is could cost 6K to 8K. Even you(mike nice) with the 06-07 differential have said that your WOT in 3rd or higher to limit wheel hop.
Hey guys just a little information for you.First im afraid to say the guy that broke his rear never had a set of the axles ,i think thats why he never showed video .He was trying to sell 5 sets to get his,very shady,i have looked i have checked on this and can say with 99.9% he does not have the axles period.I started selling the different size axles last year for my gto guys they worked great and we thought the ctsv would benifit as well.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hendrix-Engineering
Hey guys just a little information for you.First im afraid to say the guy that broke his rear never had a set of the axles ,i think thats why he never showed video .He was trying to sell 5 sets to get his,very shady,i have looked i have checked on this and can say with 99.9% he does not have the axles period.I started selling the different size axles last year for my gto guys they worked great and we thought the ctsv would benifit as well.
Even if he didn't have the axles, the diff in our cars were still designed for a low-powered V-6. If you get rid of wheel-hop the poor quality diff will still not be any stronger.

It doesn't even take any more power than a stock V has to break the diff!! We will have to have a carrier upgrade!!!
Old 05-13-2009, 02:00 PM
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by BLACK CAR
Even if he didn't have the axles, the diff in our cars were still designed for a low-powered V-6. If you get rid of wheel-hop the poor quality diff will still not be any stronger.

It doesn't even take any more power than a stock V has to break the diff!! We will have to have a carrier upgrade!!!
I totaly agree, i just didnt want anyone to get te idea the axles cased the rear to break.We are looking into the rear issue and will keep you guys posted
Old 05-15-2009, 12:56 PM

He did NOT have DSS axles in his car. It has been proven through the owner of DSS.. I was the first CTS V in america with DSS axles and since then only a few sets have been sold, which were sold through me. Without wheel hop and traction you will not break your diff. Your weak link at that point is tires. Now we all know if you run full out slicks and you hook hard your weak link is the diff.. but even then I am betting the stock diff will take a lot of abuse before it breaks as long as it is not hopping.

That " consumer " was upset that I was a dealer and tried to show that with DSS axles his diff still broke.. Out of spite. I am not here to take business or advertise at all. I just have to set a few things straight so people are not misguided. He is a liar and every person I sold the axles too are in heaven right now because the hop is absolutely completely gone and they are smiling from ear to ear.

Just don't believe everything you hear unless it's from a reliable source with proof to back it... That's all I ask. Thanks guys.

Last edited by dynojetman; 05-15-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:38 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Until last night... there was no light shed on the situation on the caddy forum. There didn't seem to be a misconception on the diff. breakage until another member discovered when the pictures he posted up were actually taken. Then everything was starting to come together.

For one... i did not know that "hendrix engineering" was the one advertising over there. It was just dynojetman or whatever. So my post wasn't against any particular person. Just claims of one person that supposedly had the axles.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by -T-
Until last night... there was no light shed on the situation on the caddy forum. There didn't seem to be a misconception on the diff. breakage until another member discovered when the pictures he posted up were actually taken. Then everything was starting to come together.

For one... i did not know that "hendrix engineering" was the one advertising over there. It was just dynojetman or whatever. So my post wasn't against any particular person. Just claims of one person that supposedly had the axles.
yeah I think hendrix has a great product for those diff housings.. really good idea.. I think the other guy over there made both of us look bad and that isn't fair to hendrix or me.. he was just a scorn guy trying to ruin things for everyone.. im glad everyone caught on to his game.. I didn't want to be the one that came out with it. I was trying to be more professional than that.. But I knew all along he didn't have the axles then when I realized what he was doing it really frustrated me.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:00 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

what track are you at that lets you run with passengers?
Old 05-16-2009, 01:17 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the mod using 1-1/4" washers in the front and 1-3/4" in the rear. Two on top and two on bottom everywhere. It knocked down my wheel hop by 80%. Still barks a bit when I powershift 1-2, but it doesn't feel like someone with a sledge hammer in the trunk anymore lol.

I spent about $20 on the washers and I'm pleased. I don't think I actually got the crush sleeves to go though the washers all the way in the rear (on one or two of them), but I was didn't feel like ******* with it anymore. I'd probably try to use 1 size larger washers in the front/rear if I did it again to make it easier to line up.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:28 AM
Collections Ban

Originally Posted by dynojetman
yeah I think hendrix has a great product for those diff housings.. really good idea.. I think the other guy over there made both of us look bad and that isn't fair to hendrix or me.. he was just a scorn guy trying to ruin things for everyone.. im glad everyone caught on to his game.. I didn't want to be the one that came out with it. I was trying to be more professional than that.. But I knew all along he didn't have the axles then when I realized what he was doing it really frustrated me.
Thank you.I was i little nervous about being new to the ctsv guys and to come right out of the box and call someone a lair .I just couldnt stand by and let this guy mislead the other members.IF you ever need any of our parts ,we have greatdeals on the maggie products as well as spark plug wires less than 15 ohms a wire!We have our on clutch line as well.Give us a call we would love to have you on the TEAM
Old 05-25-2009, 11:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

update to my thread, while wheel hop was reduced to negligable on the street, wheel hop on a sticky track was still well.. bad.

i'm looking for more ideas now.

Quick Reply: my 'cradle crushers!' spacers wheel hop fix