Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Squeaking noise from steering?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Squeaking noise from steering?

Noticed lately that when I turn the wheel I can hear a spueaking noise.....It is not the power steering pump I don't think because it doesn't seem to do it more when you turn it. Sound slike it's coming from the rack. any ideas, will be taking to to the dealer so they can warranty it. Also have a mild amount of vibration at like 65mph which feels like the wheels are not balanced. Had them rebalance two days after i bought it but still does it. Any ideas on that? thanks for the help.
Old 04-24-2009, 12:10 AM
STA
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am also being plagued by a wierd sound from my steering wheel/rack when I turn. I would describe the sound like a rubbing/sliding sound...its hard to pin point exactly where its coming from but it sounds to me like its close to the driver. My sister drives a late '90s malibu and it does the same thing. I wonder if it could be a worn out bearing or bushing somewhere in the steering linkage or column?...
Old 04-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure about the steering squeak but the vibration around 65 mph is probably wheel bearings. Mine did that when I got it about a month ago.

An easy way to check is to jack the car up and grab the wheel and shake it, if it wobbles or makes a noise that would be it.

My bad one was the front passenger side, but I had both fronts done. problem solved.

Hope this helps.

Billy

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise from steering?