Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stealth Grey V - Black out - Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

head lights and tails look great dude.. Never seen tinited tails on a thunder grey V, they look sexy as hell
Old 04-24-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

How long did it take for you to get it all done?
Old 04-24-2009, 09:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best brand or kind of clear to use.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, its been a while since ive been in the V section... 'reviving a thread from beyond the grave!'

I just used duplicolor for the clear coat. Ive been watching the headlights, and they are looking great. I think they need to be clear coated because it looks like there was a protective / clear coat on it from the factory. So you can see a little bit of where i had to sand hard on the top... where the majority of the sun damage had occured. Then below that its a tiny bit darker, Ive yet to have anyone notice, but i do. lol

So i think ill be clearing the headlights.

Next step is blacking out the lower fog/corners and the side markers. I ran out of niteshade, so ive been putting it off.
Old 07-31-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Wow, I just purchased a Stealth V!!!! very nice!!!!
Awsome, congrats! I caught some crap for wanting to black out a Stealth. I think it looks great. I HATE the look of the stock taillights now.

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
head lights and tails look great dude.. Never seen tinited tails on a thunder grey V, they look sexy as hell
Thanks! Everyone else seems to be clearing everything on the stealths. I love the way this turned out.

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
How long did it take for you to get it all done?
It took quite a while to be honest. But it was also my first time. So i made some rookie mistakes and spent the matjoity of the time trying to decide how dark to go, and then going too dark and trying to sand some off. lol. And i was DDing the car, so i had to remove every night and re-install the morning before work.

So, if you were to get the right color the first time... probably be able to do it in 2 nights. First night, sanding and cleaning them to get them ready for paint... then paint the niteshade, that morning clear coat. 2nd night sanding and polishing... then install!
Old 07-31-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Great write up!

Head lights look amazing....

Great work, whats next?
Old 07-31-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

i still laugh of how i almost bought this car...lol great looking car bro. the lights look bad *** too
Old 08-01-2009, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

did you remove the headlights while doing the sanding? and do you have a method to doing the wet sanding? any type of sand paper works fine?
Old 08-04-2009, 08:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Next is blacking out the side markers and fog lights. And i think im going to clear the head lights.

I didnt remove the headlights. From what ive read its a PITA. Either just go slow or tape it off. Should be fine.

There is sand paper that is only good 'dry'. You want to get one that is for 'dry and wet' applications. It can be found at any auto store. I let the sand paper soak for a while, and used a spray bottle to keep it wet. After a complete pass over the whole area, i would clean the whole thing to get any debris off w/ a paper towel, clean the sand paper and start again. You want to stay in one direction. Left to right, right to left. Or top to botttom, bottom to top. Dont switch directions, no circles. And for just getting rid of the sun damage you dont need the lower grit sand paper. 1200/2000 should be fine. You could do 800 and 1000 if you wanted it to be a little faster, but its not necessary. Most compounds say they clean up after the 1200 grit paper, but i like going to 2000.

Last edited by xxrillixx; 08-04-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

I've had stealth grey since day one. Never been a fan of the blacked out look on it, imo. This looks tastefull, and will look better once the fronts are done.

Quick Reply: Stealth Grey V - Black out - Lots of pics