Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V vs AMG 65

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS-V vs AMG 65

Well I had my azz handed to me by an old rinkled up grey beard in a AMG 65- now I need a maggy.

First gear dead even, second gear dead even, when I hit third, that silver AMG drove away from me like I missed third, which I didnt. My Black V was quite humbled

My only mod is I tweaked it with HP tuners on a dynojet and an air cleaner assembly

I am now going to do headers, exhaust and a maggy, thats it, still need to be my driver.

Just getting up to speed on the SC - does this all fit under the stock hood?

You guys that have been down this road with the Maggy give me some direction and places to go for good pricing.

I will do the work myself

best
John
Bowtie8
Old 05-10-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Addict

I bought all my stuff from an individual so I cant help on pricing but yes it does fit under the stock hood. You will have fun once you get the maggie. I haven't had mine a month and I'm already looking at upgrading from the 112 to a 122.

I did the install by myself as well. Its not that bad. If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask. There are plenty of maggied guys on here more than willing to lend a helping hand.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by raven154
I bought all my stuff from an individual so I cant help on pricing but yes it does fit under the stock hood. You will have fun once you get the maggie. I haven't had mine a month and I'm already looking at upgrading from the 112 to a 122.

I did the install by myself as well. Its not that bad. If you have any specific questions dont hesitate to ask. There are plenty of maggied guys on here more than willing to lend a helping hand.
Was the maggy a complete bolt on including the tune or did you use LS1 Edit or HP Tuners once the hardware was bolted in.

Also what is realistic in terms of gains with 1-7/8 headers, cats and B&B or Corsa havent figured out yet.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

If you buy the maggie kit from a vendor it should come with everything to be a bolt in kit including a handheld to install the magnason tune. Supposedly it voids the warranty if you dont use their tune but if you have it tuned I think you will be much happier. The previous owner of my blower and I swapped computers when I bought everything from him so it was already tuned. I really need a retune because I have things he didn't. All the shops around here have been booked solid and I haven't been able to get on the dyno so again not much help with numbers.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

after researching you do realize that the amg 65 has 738lb ft of torque and is capable of 11 second 1/4 mile times right? lol, so dont be ashamed that you go beat, id be glad i kept up through two gears.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
after researching you do realize that the amg 65 has 738lb ft of torque and is capable of 11 second 1/4 mile times right? lol, so dont be ashamed that you go beat, id be glad i kept up through two gears.
I usually know whats next to me, but mercedes is doing a good job. That thing is over 100K I'm sure, but being down here in Atlanta and born and raised in Michigan, I love spanking with my Detroit Iron. Now I just need to up the game a bit.

I can always pull my Vette out, but its rediculas on the street and I never have the opportunities with new stuff.

JW
Old 05-10-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you should have just let out after second then he would have been like holy hell, that thing stayed right with me, then you would have ruined his day and you would have been happy as hell.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

your going to need more than a blower and exhaust to take one of those things, and got forbid if it has a tune.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Redneckbmxer24
your going to need more than a blower and exhaust to take one of those things, and got forbid if it has a tune.
Dead on, I ran an SL65 within two months of owning my V. I thought I was fast, but it was an annihilation, after catching up to it at a red light I saw the Renntech emblem---that fawker launched as hard as a Gallardo and was equally impressive. Those cars are wicked fast, just point and stomp, the tranny is smooth, upgrades ain't cheap, but if a baller is driving you can beat it has had some work done. Also, and I have said this like a billion times, do not run a 2004-2006 E55, as in base trim they will rock your world, even if you have a Maggie.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do not run a 2004-2006 E55, as in base trim they will rock your world, even if you have a Maggie.
That is just so generalized and completely untrue.

Onebad, I have beaten on two occasions c63, granted it makes less torque and slightly less hp (than the e55), but the e55 weighs more. One had a renntech badge, and claimed all he had was exhaust. Granted this was from a roll. From a stop Im sure Id have to play catch up...

But to say that a maggied V cant hang with an e55 is absolute rubbish. e55 weighs more than the V, and would be putting down alot less hp and a little less torque than a maggied V...so im not sure how you arrived at your conclusion. Id bet money on a maggied V with a good driver roll racing against a stock e55 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK
Old 05-11-2009, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
That is just so generalized and completely untrue.

Onebad, I have beaten on two occasions c63, granted it makes less torque and slightly less hp (than the e55), but the e55 weighs more. One had a renntech badge, and claimed all he had was exhaust. Granted this was from a roll. From a stop Im sure Id have to play catch up...

But to say that a maggied V cant hang with an e55 is absolute rubbish. e55 weighs more than the V, and would be putting down alot less hp and a little less torque than a maggied V...so im not sure how you arrived at your conclusion. Id bet money on a maggied V with a good driver roll racing against a stock e55 ANY DAY OF THE WEEK
Not generalized, do you know of any Maggied Vs that have beat an E-55, I have raced more than a few, and there are monsters; based on me racing E55s and owning a Maggied V I am more qualified to speak on my experiences that you are based on what you think. Have also ran some in my C6, and they are damn fast. Ask anyone who has driven one and they will tell you how fast they are. Never raced one from a dig, as I know our weakness, but have run on highways and my V was embarassed, the C6 put a few lengths on them before I lifted around 120mph but have respect for a 4,000lb car that can move like that. This arguement has been fought too many times on this forum and the other one, and I have yet to see anyone claim victory against an E55. Of course we can always view timeslips, which leave no room for subjectivity, or generalization. BTW, never researched the C63, but I guess I will have to believe a lightly modded V will beat it everytime if you say so. Here are the facts for the E55, which is faster than the E63, from dragtimes.com, one or two may be lightly modded, none have DRs, all Maggie Vs have custom tunes and a few bolt ons, so expect the E55 driver to leave his on if he races you:

E55 times
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-17389.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-5448.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-7645.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-17335.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-18125.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...slip-7187.html
http://www.dragtimes.com/Mercedes-Be...lip-10571.html

There are many more timeslips listed on dragtimes that better any Maggied V, I realize Gene ran an 11.8??, he is a great driver, most cannot get within .5secs of 11.8, and I realize you will contend from a roll it is a different story,,,
Old 05-11-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TurboCtsV1
good thing i dont have a maggie.
Go play with an E55, if he accepts your race expect him to have a few mods that you have no knowledge of, and also expect to be crushed. I am not a Homer, I try to acknowledge all comers, and be unbiased, and have come to appreciate how beastly the E55 is, and how efficient (point and drive) they are.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

buy me a maggie,,,,ill make you 20 videos of me beating stock e55s from 40 rolls all day long.

but have run on highways and my V was embarassed, the C6 put a few lengths on them before I lifted around 120mph but have respect for a 4,000lb car that can move like that.
Im just going to have to believe that the one you raced was modified. With a tune and a pulley (which most mercedes owners would consider "STOCK" simply for bragging rights) they put down a **** ton more power than they do stock.

Dont make me get a bottle on a 100 shot to prove they arent as fast as you claim.
Old 05-11-2009, 03:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

now your saying that his turbo V would get embarrassed too? your crazy man. e55's arent that great jeez.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
11 Second Club

bowtie,

Don't feel bad at all. I beat a CTS-V at the strip last week by a couple seconds with my CL600. I don't know if his car was stock, but mine is. I just have a measley 490hp and 580tq and beat him pretty good. My car ran a 12.87 with a bad IC pump...with a tune I'll be at 625hp and 745tq (just a little over a stock 65), so really....don't feel bad they are one hell of a sleeper. That being said...a nice LSA in your car with a pulley would be a step in the right direction to teach those damn Star boys a lesson.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 04ctsvfl
buy me a maggie,,,,ill make you 20 videos of me beating stock e55s from 40 rolls all day long.

Im just going to have to believe that the one you raced was modified. With a tune and a pulley (which most mercedes owners would consider "STOCK" simply for bragging rights) they put down a **** ton more power than they do stock.

Dont make me get a bottle on a 100 shot to prove they arent as fast as you claim.
I guess the facts have no weight in this arguement,,, and go buy your own Maggie.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

65 = V12 Twin Turbo... Maggie prob doesnt even have a chance. Was it an SL, or CL?
Old 05-11-2009, 04:19 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CtsVrod
65 = V12 Twin Turbo... Maggie prob doesnt even have a chance. Was it an SL, or CL?
It could've even been an S, if it had 4 doors.

He might get close, the V is about 600-700 lbs lighter. I will tell you this, the absolute quickest V12 Benz is 10.58...it's an S600 with a 150 shot. The quickest 65 is 10.72, it's a CL. Most of the modified V12's are in the 11.2-11.8 range.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 05-11-2009 at 04:27 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
It could've even been an S, if it had 4 doors.

He might get close, the V is about 600-700 lbs lighter. I will tell you this, the absolute quickest V12 Benz is 10.58...it's an S600 with a 150 shot. The quickest 65 is 10.72, it's a CL. Most of the modified V12's are in the 11.2-11.8 range.
Just figured a Full size S class wouldnt have had such a Kill... But those things are beasts.

Its all about the SL 65 Black Series!!

Old 05-11-2009, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Don't feel bad at all. I beat a CTS-V at the strip last week by a couple seconds with my CL600. I don't know if his car was stock, but mine is. I just have a measley 490hp and 580tq and beat him pretty good. My car ran a 12.87 with a bad IC pump
Ok, and I have absolutely ruined a cl600 owners day from a 30ish roll. Got him by at least a bus to 100.

Quick Reply: CTS-V vs AMG 65