Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stock LS6 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009 | 02:59 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

And just so that there is no confusion...

I have not chosen:
CAM - looking to go as mild as possible while meeting my HP requirements.
TB - most likely going to be FAST
INTAKE* - if i like results over stock

I have decided on Kooks LT's, Hi flow cats, x-pipe and CAI

And obviously, all this would lead to a tune.
Old 05-14-2009 | 03:59 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate the advice. LS2 has a 90mm TB?... Awesome...

I agree that FAST is way over -priced for the gains.

There is a very reputable machine shop here in town Precision Machine... Outstanding work.

My ideal is 2000 for parts if i get head work done. I would do the installation of all parts myself. I am capable.

Either get a mail order tune to get me by until i can fine tune at a dyno shop... or trailer the car to someone.
Old 05-14-2009 | 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -T-
I appreciate the advice. LS2 has a 90mm TB?... Awesome...

I agree that FAST is way over -priced for the gains.

There is a very reputable machine shop here in town Precision Machine... Outstanding work.

My ideal is 2000 for parts if i get head work done. I would do the installation of all parts myself. I am capable.

Either get a mail order tune to get me by until i can fine tune at a dyno shop... or trailer the car to someone.
A cam to get you 50-60 hp would require new springs and pushrods at the least. Cam kits sell for around $700. Add in a set of headers and you're already over at $2000.

I'm all for the idea of getting a small cam that will allow the use of the stock springs. Even if your springs wear out, you can get a new set for $50.

And I'm also all for the nitrous setup. A 150 shot along with a small nitrous cam, would put you above the 500rwhp mark easily. Maybe throw in a stronger fuel pump and you'll be set.
Old 05-14-2009 | 05:27 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Will the stock bottem end hold up to nitrous? Longevity? This is my daily driver. Im not looking to go forged until its paid off in 35 months. Then the forged bottom, rear-end and FI go in.

Headers/cats and x-pipe are already funded.

The 2K is for engine mods to reach my goal. I am trying to stay under 3K with the tune. It's a good possibility...you have to start somewhere.

400 for a cam NOW that needs to be swapped out later with the FI is no big deal. TB... i would like to get something that is sufficient for motor mods as well as FI.
If i go SC...no need for intake... and thats another 250-300 in my pocket from the ls1 folks.

If i go PC or turbo... i will work that out when i get there.
Old 05-14-2009 | 07:59 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

i appreciate it. i will start lingering over on the nitrous threads. you have some good advice. dont keep it all to yourself. but then again... you can't GIVE all the secrets away. I heard of the LS6 cam being good for boost... as well as the heads. just never looked into too much considering FI is later on down the road.
Old 05-14-2009 | 08:29 PM
Teching In

Both turbo and jon have very good words of wisdom.

Now from somebody who has done some of this stuff your 450rwhp is a real reach from stock. On my LS2 I have a full cam package, including yella terra rockers, trick flow heads, headers, underdrive pulley, new wires, yada yada yada, and we are struggling at this point to break the 450 rwhp. Part of my problem right now is the tune, but I am running pig rich since cold weather would not allow us to find all of the bugs in the system(plus my tuner has been busy).

This also includes a CAI and homemade tube. Hopefully when all is done and said this will get me to 450 rwhp which would be 111hp over my original dyno, which only had catback system in place.

Oh, and my cam is a 236/238 with over .600 lift both sides, so it is not a little cam.

I to admire your want to accomplish your goals, but with a n/a system you will need more than 2,000 to get there.

Good Luck and keep us posted!
Old 05-14-2009 | 08:32 PM
Teching In

One more thought, since the ls6 intake is considered a better flowing intake send it to tpis and have them make it into a 90mm intake for not a lot of money. This is considered better than putting a LS2 intake on and you won't have to screw with injector rails and such.
Old 05-14-2009 | 09:10 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Claimslngr
One more thought, since the ls6 intake is considered a better flowing intake send it to tpis and have them make it into a 90mm intake for not a lot of money. This is considered better than putting a LS2 intake on and you won't have to screw with injector rails and such.
Thanks. I will keep that in mind.

Also 450RWHP is a bench mark. I would like to get there. No one wants 600HP and ends up with 7000HP. You want 600HP... you will probably settle for 525-550HP. My mods (whatever they may be) would all be done at once to limit down time and hopefully just one trip to a tuner. So if my 450RWHP wish ends up being 410-415RWHP......FI is the answer.
Old 05-15-2009 | 12:46 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by corner carver
part # 12565308 2002-2004 ls6 cam

duration @ .050 lift (deg) i:204 e:218

max lift w 1.7 rocker i:550 e:550

lobe seperation (deg) 117.5

right out of the gmpp catalog.
i beleive you mean 1.6 rocker (theese are small blocks)
Old 05-15-2009 | 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BOATDOCTOR
i beleive you mean 1.6 rocker (theese are small blocks)
These are LS1s, he means 1.7.

Originally Posted by TurboCtsV1
i think this part got misread. the ls2 90mm tb will fit your ls6 intake.
No it won't.
Old 05-15-2009 | 02:42 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboCtsV1
i think this part got misread. the ls2 90mm tb will fit your
ls6 intake. i was not implying to switch the entire intake
as yours flow a bit better than a ls2 intake.

also, one more benifit about the possibilities of the ls1-2-6 ect.
nos systems in they are interchangble 90% of the time with newer lsx
plate systems, thus, if the need to sell ever arises you can recoupe some of your mod loss, where as with the other options, cam and valve-train, you will take a complete loss for those types of bolt on's...and not give you the personal flexibility to add or reduce horse power at will, you can swap pills and make said changes to your system in mere minutes. the next best thing to this would be a turbo and an electronic boost controller as you can adjust hp on the fly.

http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/catalog...roduct_id=2794

this kit ^ is a good example of all you'll need for a "complete" system with
quite a few integrated fail-safes for piece of mind. you may want to go to the nos section here and ask this sponsor about your specific needs, but my advise is to get a "complete kit" such as this as it will be cheaper in the long run, no matter what company/brand you may decide to purchase. price them out and be sure to ask about specifics, such as power adjustability (50-150 hp shot pills) and an accurate fit compatible for the 04-05 ls6 cts-v wet plate system.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/installs/install.asp?id=82
you system would look nice and neat just like this.
plus with the "stock oem beauty cover"...you could hide all the lines and noids out of site under the cover for a stealth install. no1 would ever notice the place and you can hide any exposed lines with wire loom. ya~meeen!?

Great info. Thanks a lot.

Quick Reply: Stock LS6 Cam