Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What is the best x-pipe and muffler delete combo on a stock LS6 V?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by madmaro00
He didn't go about it the nicest way, but some may find it surprising that some one who is active on this forum doesn't know if his car has headers or not, or that the Vs have x-pipes & not y-s. There is no need to get butt-hurt about it and turn this thread into another personal slandering/vendetta.

Back to the thread's discussion.
you right man, i should have not even said anything because i know how this guy would react.

it was just too tempting. this guy is a smart *** and talks and talks and talks. so since he obviously knows so much, its surprising to see that he doesnt know anything about his own car. except that the V badge has been removed....

im done.

back to the discussion at hand.....

Last edited by SS#1230; 07-27-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RocketSSled
After reading and hearing the posts on this mod I am considering doing the same. Anyone have this done to their V with good/bad results? I have an '05 with the LS6.

Part numbers and where to buy the parts from would be greatly appreciated.

The other option I am considering is going with the Magnaflow #16636 catback system which seems reasonably priced via hottexhaust + coupon.

Thanks.
leaning one way or the other yet?
Old 07-27-2009, 07:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS#1230
i mean enough to you to be your avatar huh? im honored. but i think youve represented your self quite well.

over a thousand posts in about six months AND work 64 hours 7 days a week.....no wonder you didnt have time to look under your hood. you must never sleep.

a word to the not so wise....you should pop the hood and kick the tires BEFORE you buy your next car.
I didnt know you seen me buy my car??? scary

by the way I love my car and everything that comes with it! I may not be able to install a maggie or have the money to thow on a cam at the moment but that doesnt change the way I love my car! I was in this section even before I purchased my car! You can say what you want about me but this forum was created for people like you and YES people like me as well to learn!
Old 07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

That Avatar pic will get you the ban stick really quickly.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:27 PM
TECH Addict

It wont change until I see no more comments to me from SS! His attitude is terrible!
Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 PM
TECH Regular

My attitude is terrible???

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Hmm. Sounds like someone needs to dust the sand outa his vejayjay! Your a funny guy! to bad your a Douche bag... And to answer your question.. Oh wait! I wasnt talking to you so its none of your ******* business! go suck a tit!
and didn't you recently tell me something along the lines of, "I'll slap your crackhead bitch and cutoff her allowance"?

everyone knows "Mike Nice", and you were following his lead and trying to be just like him when you said the above quote...

stop acting like your 13.

as far a im concerned, you can run that avatar for the rest of your life. it just shows your immaturity......
Old 07-28-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

the warmth that this forum has is so nice...
Old 07-28-2009, 12:05 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I got my resonator replaced with an X-pipe... along with gutted mufflers i did myself about a month ago.

My opinion... it only cost me $84 total... not including the plugs and hi-temp silicon for the gutted mufflers. So at that price i am very satisfied. Exhaust sounds a bit more free flowing... and a bit more "hollow". Nice tone at idle, not too loud, not too quiet. Great when you open her up. I am satisfied until i do my full exhaust (headers, hi-flows, x and magna/corsa/borla mufflers). I would get a sound clip, but it sounds exactly like ss videos. But very different in person.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Regular

what do you do to gut the mufflers?

throw up a vid. id like to hear it...
Old 07-28-2009, 03:00 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I'll try and get one (vid) tonight or tomorrow. Work is crazy 12 hours 7 days a week so it may be a night vid.

Procedure for guttin the mufflers:

NormV on the "other forum" has a "write-up". But basically its pretty simple.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v-less-3.html

Get some plugs (i think i got 3/4") and leather gloves from home-depot and some hi-temp silocon from auto parts store and a six-pack from the convenience store.

Disconnect flanges from aft of cats, loosen and slide the brace just aft of the resonator and take loose 3 ea. hangers on each stock muffler. I pulled mine out just slightly from the rear of the car. Enough to get a drill vertical without the risk of catching and slamming into the bumper. Pick two flat spots on the top side of the mufflers, one forward and aft on the muffler housing. Drill out on those flat spots the size of the plugs you purchased; I recommend the largest size you can get. 3/4" was sufficient, but could have helped being larger.

Grab one of your wifes aluminum coat hangers, straighten it out with the exception of a 1/2" hook at about a 1/4" bend radius 180 degrees. Insert the hanger a few inches, pull out and repeat until you get a hold of a good pack and start pulling out with your gloves. This is fiberglass packing and very itchy. So wear some clothes you can throw away and cover up decently. Repeat until you think you got all of the fiberglass out.

After your finished, just insert the plugs and seal around them. Re-attach your exhaust.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Based on the minimal gains of a full exhaust, I am thinking anyone who foregoes such, and gets headers, X-pipe and 4" tips is not a tightarse, but a genius.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -T-
I'll try and get one (vid) tonight or tomorrow. Work is crazy 12 hours 7 days a week so it may be a night vid.

Procedure for guttin the mufflers:

NormV on the "other forum" has a "write-up". But basically its pretty simple.
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-v-less-3.html

Get some plugs (i think i got 3/4") and leather gloves from home-depot and some hi-temp silocon from auto parts store and a six-pack from the convenience store.

Disconnect flanges from aft of cats, loosen and slide the brace just aft of the resonator and take loose 3 ea. hangers on each stock muffler. I pulled mine out just slightly from the rear of the car. Enough to get a drill vertical without the risk of catching and slamming into the bumper. Pick two flat spots on the top side of the mufflers, one forward and aft on the muffler housing. Drill out on those flat spots the size of the plugs you purchased; I recommend the largest size you can get. 3/4" was sufficient, but could have helped being larger.

Grab one of your wifes aluminum coat hangers, straighten it out with the exception of a 1/2" hook at about a 1/4" bend radius 180 degrees. Insert the hanger a few inches, pull out and repeat until you get a hold of a good pack and start pulling out with your gloves. This is fiberglass packing and very itchy. So wear some clothes you can throw away and cover up decently. Repeat until you think you got all of the fiberglass out.

After your finished, just insert the plugs and seal around them. Re-attach your exhaust.
thats cool.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:09 AM
On The Tree

Thanks a bunch gents for the valuable feedback with a special thanks to SS#1230 and -T- for the extra effort ...

I was leaning heavily towards SS#1230's solution. -T-'s solution also caught my eye and between those two I think I have a fix that will meet my expectations.

Q: I've read in some threads that the resonators in our cars actually do have decent flow until one goes for significant mods/higher hp/tq. Has anyone torn apart a stock resonator to see how they are plumbed or compared resonator flow numbers to an x-pipe?

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

well i left my resonator at the muffler shop so i cant take pictures.

it just looked like what a large glasspack muffler looks like with louvered perforations. obviously two in and and two out, with an area where the exhaust gasses mix to balance the exhaust pulse just like the x pipe.

its just like having 3 mufflers. and in my opinion, i would delete first and leave the mufflers in the rear like jerry did. i bet youll have less of a resonating "pipey" sound if you left the muffles on the rear.

and like we've mentioned before, whatever route you take, its simply for sound effect. it wont make any difference in power. those corsa systems look and sound nice, but 1200 bucks for no HP increase, DAMN!

talking with the the guy who put my mufflers on, he said that the placement of the mufflers makes a noticable difference in sound. putting the mufflers close to the rear, the more true muffler sound you'll get. put them in mid car, like the old 67-69 camaros, youll have a more hollow pipey sound. kinda like what my car sounded like when i had the muffer and resonator deleted, but quieter.

if you like that pipey sound, but want to control the volume, you may want to put a magnaflow 2in-2out muffler in place of the resonator and delete the rear muffs...

that would be something no one else has done. and i bet it would sound sweet....

Last edited by SS#1230; 08-01-2009 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

something like this....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-12468/
Old 08-01-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Regular

here is another opinion......i would NEVER put super 44s on my V!

flowmaster is good on my LT1.....not my LS6 with duals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v81PkDSudw
Old 08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

i mean enough to you to be your avatar huh? im honored. but i think youve represented your self quite well.

over a thousand posts in about six months AND work 64 hours 7 days a week.....no wonder you didnt have time to look under your hood. you must never sleep.

a word to the not so wise....you should pop the hood and kick the tires BEFORE you buy your next car.
lol i don even have 1k posts with almost 5 years on this forum
Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Regular

im not going to say anything because i think you catch my drift....

ive got less than 400 in 5 years....

i think we unofficially squashed it.....he changed his avatar, so that's a step in the right direction.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

but the next 1000 bucks i drop on it would probably be heads over the headers. and still pass smog.

Don't worry about smog...........
Old 08-01-2009, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Thanks again SS.
I have a '96 Impala SS with Edelbrock shortie headers, low flow cats, Flowmaster cat-back w H-pipe and mufflers with resonators removed ... which has a nice sound to it but with a bit of drone at low rpm while cruising. What your exhaust guy said about the link between drone and muffler location makes sense.
I think I'll try T's suggestion of gutting the stock mufflers and see how I like that.

Quick Reply: What is the best x-pipe and muffler delete combo on a stock LS6 V?