Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tires!

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 2 cents

With regards to tires its best to decide what type of driving you will be doing. Is this your daily driver? Is this your weekend warrior? Do you drive canyons? Do you drive mostly high speed straights? Do you want a quiet ride? Do you want a firm ride which equals a go cart feel? Do you want long wear and willing to give up traction? Once you decide what you want from the tire I can definitely offer my 2 cents. As to size, I have tried allot of different combos and personally like the staggered look. I would be more than happy to offer suggestions once you have answered the above questions.

Jack
Old 11-17-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scatillac
Exactly. Go to the Tire Rack website, do a search on the particular tire size and brand, then look at the specs. The maximum/minimum rim widths are shown.

For road course or autocross use, you should be at the least, more than halfway through the rim size parameters. At the best, closer to the maximum width. Any less and the carcass will feel dead and rubbery...you'll lose a lot of response.

Here are 275/40 PS2s on the rear (stock rims w/1" added to inside and a 5mm spacer) showing a stock appearing relationship between the sidewall and the rim:
Ya, that's what I want to see. I used to run Fox body Mustangs, 275 series tires on 9" wheels, and that was still too narrow a wheel.

The V on which I put a deposit has the original run flats on it, car's got 27k, and the dealer said it's probably a couple thousand miles away from needing new shoes. I've been tossing around the idea of trying 255/40, 255/45, or 265/40 tires, but wanted to remain within the tire manufacturer's recommended wheel width specs. The 255/40 appears to be a decent size, but since it's shorter I wasn't sure how much the speedo would be affected.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

27k on the oem runflats? That might be a record.

I can assure you all there is nothing to fear with the 265/40's I have on. I've put them through "rigorous" testing.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just received delivery today on my Hankook Ventus V12s (they got the number two spot when Car and Driver test nine tires a few months back), got these sizes (255/35/19 and 295/30/19), do not need to install right away, will put them on in about a month. Purchased them at onlinetires.com, nobody came close to their price, also mailed in the $50 rebate offer when you buy four. I had two sets of Michelin PS2s prior to this, only got about 12K in miles on each set, they are rated at 220, the Hankooks are 280, so hopefully will get around 18K miles. Here is the reason I went this route:

Company A, 2 PS2s, rear sizes, w/shipping=$987.74
OnlineTires, 4 V12s, all tires, w/shipping=$781.88, less $50.00 rebate=$731.88

Deal of the Century, $255.86 LESS for 4 Hankooks vs. 2 rear PS2s. Of course none of this matters until I get them on the car and drive around for a few weeks, hope I am still happy then.

Last edited by onebadcad; 11-18-2009 at 04:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
sorry but that tire looks like it belongs on a buick roadmaster not a high performance cadillac
Here's some info from Michelin.

"Initially developed for Original Equipment (O.E.) on some of the world's most prestigious sports cars and performance sedans, the Pilot Sport PS2 combines world-class dry road traction, handling and cornering. Some of the first Pilot Sport PS2 O.E. fitments included the BMW Alpina Z8, McLaren SLR and Porsche GT2 & GT3 models."

Hmmm...... looks like they left out the Roadmaster.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BacDoc
27k on the oem runflats? That might be a record.

I can assure you all there is nothing to fear with the 265/40's I have on. I've put them through "rigorous" testing.
2 questions. Are you lowered and do they rub at all? This is the size I was looking at for all four corners but I'm concerned about rubbing. Especially since I plan on lowering this next spring.

Ok. 1 more question Do you have any pics?
Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blk04V
2 questions. Are you lowered and do they rub at all? This is the size I was looking at for all four corners but I'm concerned about rubbing. Especially since I plan on lowering this next spring.

Ok. 1 more question Do you have any pics?
No rubbing. I have the Eibachs but haven't put them on. I was told others running 265/40's on Eibachs had no rubbing issues either.

Only the several I posted on the previous page.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BacDoc
No rubbing. I have the Eibachs but haven't put them on. I was told others running 265/40's on Eibachs had no rubbing issues either.

Only the several I posted on the previous page.
oops. i was checkin out the thread from my phone so i didn't see the pics... they look good. im anxious to hear the results once you lower it. the 265/40's look perfect
Old 11-24-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys running smaller tires on the front than the rear are helping induce push, which these cars don't need any help with. It took a little while to get mine to rotate the way I like it, cross weights nearly 50/50...

Thats one of the last times I autox'd the car back in August. I've been codriving in other vehicles to get a handle on what I wanted to buy to be a dedicated car, because while SOOO much fun to beat some people in a car like the caddy, it's not easy taking a spork to a gunfight. Now the Caddy is going to return to a more modest level of turning, and the z06 will become the new autox toy.

The NT05 regularly gets 1.08-1.12 at autox, with 275/40s on all 4 corners. On a road course (went once without the coilovers) it went to 1.21.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have 265/40's all around. BFG KD's pulled 1.09 G's on my stock FE4 suspension.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Frank02L
You guys running smaller tires on the front than the rear are helping induce push, which these cars don't need any help with.
+1 on that.

Fortunately, I'm running the GMPP bars and links, with the links in the "loose" settings (inner holes) on the rear bar. That, combined with some extra available torque takes care of the push problem nicely.

I have to be careful on the road with the T/C in the defeat mode, though.
Old 01-22-2010, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

With my next set of tires I'd like to achieve a more 'beefier' look in the back. Would it be wise to run a 275/40 in the back and say a 255/40 in the front? Or, would it be better to just match them all up with say a 265/40 all around?

I don't track the car and drive it fairly moderate. I'm looking more for appearance and safety than anything. I'm definitely want it to be stable in the rain as we get a lot of summertime down-pours here in Houston. I got rid of a 2000 Impala b/c it would hydroplane like a set of skis when it rained and it don't want to go through that with the V. I can't believe I'm still alive after driving that Impala for 9yrs.

Quick Reply: Tires!