Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Removing trim overlays

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Removing trim overlays

Has anyone removed dash overlays from any vehicle? I purchased my V used and it has overlays in it, which I am not a huge fan of. I thought I could live with them, but it is really not my thing and I have been kicking around removing them. I just don't want to start only to find that half the tape sticks to the trim pieces and is a PITA to get off. It's not like I can soak the glue with acetone or anything lol. I know that 3M adhesive tape, which was probably used, is a real bear to get off sometimes. I'm sure it will be a nightmare, but I just figured I'd ask in case anyone has removed them before and they came off fairly cleanly. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the problem will be the paint GM uses, it's that rubberized crap and I don't think it will take very well to acetone or anything of that nature, I say your best bet would be a heat gun, that might save the finish...otherwise you gonna be repainting alot of panels.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

just trade someone, panels that is.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by nikon
I think the problem will be the paint GM uses, it's that rubberized crap and I don't think it will take very well to acetone or anything of that nature, I say your best bet would be a heat gun, that might save the finish...otherwise you gonna be repainting alot of panels.
I know I can't use Acetone or anything, that's why I said it may be more trouble than it is worth .

I don't have a problem repainting panels, but I would lose whatever writing/silk screening there is from the factory. Not to mention, you are right- it would be a LOT of panels. The radio and shifter surrounds, AC vents, door handles, map pockets, rear cigarette lighter, etc. all have it. It does not look "bad", it's just not my thing.

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
just trade someone, panels that is.
I would, but didn't know if anyone would be willing to. If anyone wants to swap stock panels for panels with a silver overlay, plus I may pay a couple bucks, let me know. I'm down for it.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Addict

Any pics of the panels?
Old 08-22-2009, 07:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

All I currently have are the pics from the dealers ad. You can get an idea from these. It is pretty much everywhere, but I may just remove it from certain areas instead of swapping it all out.
Attached Thumbnails Removing trim overlays-cts-10.jpg   Removing trim overlays-cts-12.jpg   Removing trim overlays-cts-13.jpg   Removing trim overlays-cts-15.jpg   Removing trim overlays-cts-17.jpg  

Removing trim overlays-cts-19.jpg  
Old 08-22-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Regular

yep same package. I like mine.

just in case someone wants to see some other pics. IMO, worth a trade.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by VeryWhiteDevil
yep same package. I like mine.

just in case someone wants to see some other pics. IMO, worth a trade.
Thanks. Mine does not surround my console like yours though, just the shifter boot trim.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man, i think id leave it. Its really not bad.

I wouldnt PAY to put it in, but i think i could get used to it.

If you still wanna pull it off, try something small and see if you can get it off (and the glue off) without hurting anything. I cant imagine it being that difficult. The majority of it is pretty porus, you could also try dish soap in water... its a little acidic so it would help get it off if its a rubbery glue.
Old 08-22-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
Yeah man, i think id leave it. Its really not bad.

I wouldnt PAY to put it in, but i think i could get used to it.

If you still wanna pull it off, try something small and see if you can get it off (and the glue off) without hurting anything. I cant imagine it being that difficult. The majority of it is pretty porus, you could also try dish soap in water... its a little acidic so it would help get it off if its a rubbery glue.
It isn't anything I personally would ever pay for either. I figured it would grow on me when I bought the car, and it really doesn't bother me *that* much, I just keep getting the itch to just try to pull it off to see if it can be removed easily lol.

Working with paint and body over the years, I know what that 3M tape can be like to remove from exterior panels so I was wondering if it was as bad on the interior trim (especially since I cannot use any solvents on it) or if maybe people have had it come off easily for them.

I'll try to remove it around the rear cigarette lighter outlet or something with some heat and see what it's like.
Old 08-22-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah then i doubt youd have any problems. Sounds like you know what ur doing. I just dont like recommending heat guns to people who have never wrenched. Its easy to warp plastic, had too many people try to melt stuff off and are surprised it melted the plastic under too... go figure 400 degrees directly onto plastic melts it. lol. :shrug:
Old 08-22-2009, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it would look pretty good on a silver car. I'd try to trade panels with someone, just make a separate thread. Maybe throw in 25 bucks and pay for the shipping if it's worth it to you.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had that on my car when I got mine. I had only one problem on the Radio face. it pulled off paint real bad. Good thing Lindsay had the piece for under 20$ I believe. I was already taking the Bezel off to replace the buttons, so it was easily done at the same time. It did kind of take a little off of the bezel below the radio, but it was tolerable.

I think mine was aftermarket to, it cut off part of my cup holders. I found it kind of cheap looking, and it was the 2nd thing that got pulled off of my car. The first thing being the stupid Dealer sticker they put on the back....ghey.
Old 08-25-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

where do you buy these kits? and how much does a full kit run?

Quick Reply: Removing trim overlays