Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Info on lowering spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
I received my spacers, and the workmanship is great!

I have a question though, wont the thin rubber washer get torn up when I bolt it back down?
Originally Posted by jonyb
Got mine today too... Thanks!

Just sent some makeshift instructions to both of you.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2003RC51
Not a whole lot of nonsense to it. Its just a poly spacer.

If you are not tracking your car then there is no reason at all to get a high dollar coil over setup. All that is good for is bragging rights. It is definitely not a cost effective modification.
please, don't take it personal, but there's a lot more than bragging rights when it comes to having a set of coilovers. first and foremost, there isn't a single set of springs out there that give you an aggressive stance. With coilovers, you can set the car's ride height to your personal preference, and for myself, the 3 finger gap that most springs out there have to offer really isn't something for me.

let me also add the all the coilovers available for our cars have damper adjustment and shock travel, which in turn helps with the kind of soft or stiffness you want with your ride quality.

there's more to it that just bragging rights. and fwiw, you can pick up a number of sets for under $1000, and on a car of this caliber with such engineering hours put in to the suspension, i think it's quite cost effective.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Tony, your **** looks good man but you have half the value of your car in just wheels/tires and suspension. While ludicrous to me, a gem to you. Different strokes for different folks. While I must admit, your combo and stance is killer, in no way EVER would I personally spend what you did to achieve it. These are just an alternative option for others.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by tony tone
please, don't take it personal, but there's a lot more than bragging rights when it comes to having a set of coilovers. first and foremost, there isn't a single set of springs out there that give you an aggressive stance. With coilovers, you can set the car's ride height to your personal preference, and for myself, the 3 finger gap that most springs out there have to offer really isn't something for me.

let me also add the all the coilovers available for our cars have damper adjustment and shock travel, which in turn helps with the kind of soft or stiffness you want with your ride quality.

there's more to it that just bragging rights. and fwiw, you can pick up a number of sets for under $1000, and on a car of this caliber with such engineering hours put in to the suspension, i think it's quite cost effective.

Definitely not taking it personal.

I don't know of any aftermarket springs that have a 3 finger gap. I think tha is about what stock is.

The only coil over under $1000 is the Ground Control and the rear is not even a coil over. They still use the spacers too. The Ksport are right at $1000 and then you go up from there to the KW and then the Penske. Also, if there is so many engineering hours put into the suspension why change it at all? I love the hell out of the V but unfortunately these cars are not much of a caliber anymore. We are talking a car that was designed about 7 years ago.

Here is a pic of my car on H&R's w' my spacers. I think you would be hard pressed to fit 1-1/2 - 2 fingers in there.

Old 11-17-2009, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by tony tone
coilovers will solve all this nonsense.
[/QUOTE]
Some people don't want to spend $2,000 on coilovers. I don't. I've had adjustable coilovers on several cars, and of all teh money I've wasted on those, every car would've been just fine with springs. The V's don't need that much adjustability, it's already decently low from the factory. Any much more lower than the H&R's and everything would be screwed up. Tire wear goes up, suspension parts are weakened, camber is messed up, and then you get into having to roll the fenders. H&R's will work just fine for my car that I'll put 20K miles on this year.

And X2 on what rc51 said, if the suspension is so great, then why spend so much money on overpriced coilovers? The Cadillac/Corvette tax is already killing me.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by deedubb
Tony, your **** looks good man but you have half the value of your car in just wheels/tires and suspension. While ludicrous to me, a gem to you. Different strokes for different folks. While I must admit, your combo and stance is killer, in no way EVER would I personally spend what you did to achieve it. These are just an alternative option for others.
Very well put. Although I wouldn't say half the value, but after careful consideration, not too far off, lol.

thanks for the compliments.

Originally Posted by 2003RC51
Definitely not taking it personal.

I don't know of any aftermarket springs that have a 3 finger gap. I think tha is about what stock is.

The only coil over under $1000 is the Ground Control and the rear is not even a coil over. They still use the spacers too. The Ksport are right at $1000 and then you go up from there to the KW and then the Penske. Also, if there is so many engineering hours put into the suspension why change it at all? I love the hell out of the V but unfortunately these cars are not much of a caliber anymore. We are talking a car that was designed about 7 years ago.

Here is a pic of my car on H&R's w' my spacers. I think you would be hard pressed to fit 1-1/2 - 2 fingers in there.

i have to say that V looks real good. it also looks nice and low, but keep in mind you're using stock wheels and more importantly tires. the sidewall on those babies would kill almost any gap. in my case i'm using nitto invos with front sidewall ratings of 30 and rears @ 25. the gap would be ludicrous. besides, i wanted nothing short of tucking the tires all around.

I got my k-sports for $875 shipped. I can most likely still get this price for anyone. D2 also makes a coilover for around the same price. I would never recommend ground controls as that's more of a rig that anything else.

[QUOTE=jonyb;12514561]
Some people don't want to spend $2,000 on coilovers. I don't. I've had adjustable coilovers on several cars, and of all teh money I've wasted on those, every car would've been just fine with springs. The V's don't need that much adjustability, it's already decently low from the factory. Any much more lower than the H&R's and everything would be screwed up. Tire wear goes up, suspension parts are weakened, camber is messed up, and then you get into having to roll the fenders. H&R's will work just fine for my car that I'll put 20K miles on this year.

And X2 on what rc51 said, if the suspension is so great, then why spend so much money on overpriced coilovers? The Cadillac/Corvette tax is already killing me.
my car was far from decently low from the factory for some reason. i mean as if it came with a rancho package, lol. there's probably a 5" difference all around from how it used to look.

my suspension is no where near screwed up. my tires camber in a little bit, but camber only accounts for 20% of tire wear, and besides, it's a small price to pay for having such an aggressive look.

TO ALL:

I guess I may have come across a bit negative with my original comment, but I guess being cuban doesn't really leave any hair on my tongue as I normally spit out my thoughts before thinking. I'm sure a simple spring setup is suffice for many. I simply wanted my way.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Funny, seems like 1" on my stock V will remove all the fender gap.... Maybe their different.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jonyb
Funny, seems like 1" on my stock V will remove all the fender gap.... Maybe their different.

a lot more than 1" to clear these.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:34 PM
On The Tree

Maybe a little more than 1" in the rear, but mine looks a little lower than yours did.

Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i don't know man. mine felt just short of a truck, lol.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:48 AM
TECH Resident

I got my spacers in the mail today, thanks!

I don't check the mail too often so I assume they had been sitting there for a few days.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Springs/Spacers going in tomorrow. Thanks again man!
Old 11-21-2009, 04:28 PM
Teching In

Default Thanx

I got my spacers today. thanks alot. do you got motor mounts or tranny mouts i need some of those too.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

What happed RobDalton...no airride for you..guess you will just have a normal resale value like the rest of us??

ANYWAY...spacers installed today with my Eibach Pro kit and it looks great! Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Info on lowering spacers?