Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Straight Axle conversion option!

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
I'd still do it. Later next year, this car won't be my DD anymore and I intend to spend lots of time at both the drag strip and road course. Seeing as how these rears MIGHT last 1.5 passes down the strip with anything better than drag radials, replacing rears gets expensive and time consuming. That rear isn't for everyone of course, the Madman solution is worth it if you intend on putting it to use IMO. ...blah blah blah I know you can buy an $8k LS1 fbody(I've had 5 fbodys and hundreds upon hundreds of track passes), throw a $2k 12 bolt in it and run it forever, but I'll probably stay with my current plan and wont even feel like a douche about it
Don't get me wrong I love the V, and I would be the last to tell you to buy a project fbody car or not bring it to the strip... BUT if i were to have a 25k car that i was going to throw money at and build as a toy, I'd just get a 05-06 c6
Old 01-01-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VmanUSA
I am currently working with a well known rear end/chassis builder to adapt a Ford 9" straight axle to be worked into our V's. This rear will look like it came from the factory and will come with a one piece drive shaft option. NO MORE half shafts required!! This is probably more for the die hard drag race junkie but if you are interested then please post along with any questions. We are looking for interest among the V community for when this is ready early next year. This will help keep the costs down if we can come up with a list of V owners that are ready to go with the install.

My car is going to be the test vehicle and on my application I am going to go with a posi set up and 390 gears with the 1 piece drive shaft. Everything will be extremely strong and the best of the best. One of our main goals is to make it look like it came from the factory as so. We are also trying to keep costs under $5,000!

Who is interested and what questions do you have? I am not the expert here, only the customer that wants this badly and found someone willing to do it and help us out with a lower rear end cost option! I will do my best to answer any questions and mine will probably be installed in Jan of 2010.

Jim
Its January now... whats going on with this?
Old 01-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Launching!

sorry that I have not updated this lately but it seems like the R&D plus parts is going to cost more then $5,000 and yes thats with great parts and I would not want to use anything less. The 9" straight axle alone that I want to use is $3,500 and thats not even including the mods of the shocks and all of the labor that would be involved.

So, unless someone comes up with a cheaper IRs or can put the 09V's rear into ours, which is something that I am also checking into, it looks like I will have to bite the bullet and put in the Madman rear. After speaking with him on the phone with what he has actually come up with and how much time and money he personally has into it I can now understand why its $7,500 and I honestly can say its probably worth every penny of it. Here is a picture that I found of the rear and it looks like its solid as hell and I think I might just put in some 4.30 gears .

I will keep you posted with whatever mod I end up doing.

Happy New Year guys!

Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Regular

I'll wager someone will develop a retrofit kit for the newer gen diff into the "old" gen V. Give it a little time.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by lubelizard
I'll wager someone will develop a retrofit kit for the newer gen diff into the "old" gen V. Give it a little time.
Not as easy as it sounds, someone has done a diff from the 08-09 V.
But it requires using the 08-09 V cradle and fuel tank and a few other minnor modifications.

The best thing IMO would be something identical in shape and size as shock, that bolts to the stock cradle and uses the stock driveshaft and stock axles.

Something like this steel case mass produced and you just get the stock gears put in :

Old 01-01-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

That steel diff is dreamy. I bet if the price was 2.5-3.5 K's, they'd sell like crack.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Not as easy as it sounds, someone has done a diff from the 08-09 V.
But it requires using the 08-09 V cradle and fuel tank and a few other minnor modifications.
Who did it? I know they (Tony, Luke, Etc.) were talking about it a while back but I didn't think that it ever got done. I would love to see it done!
Old 01-02-2010, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

using a cradle, diff and fuel tank doesn't seem to insane compared to some of the things ive done in my past vehicles.

I wouldnt be shocked if the tank and cradle are the same with the v and non v in the newer cars.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

So realistically who would buy a billet diff for $3000-3500?

I have seen it and dealt with this before where people chime in saying they will buy and when the product is ready everyone disappears.

Does anyone have a stock diff laying around that they could spare for a month or so. I just need it for measurements. Most likely whoever supplies the stock diff would get the first billet diff at cost for testing.

Basically this would be for a billet case. You would have to install the gears and all other parts yourself or have a local shop do it.

If I could get my hands on a diff I could have it drawn up in SolidWorks fairly quickly.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would think the key would be getting people to pay a deposit before you build one. that way they wait for it to be made and you would be able to not loose your shirt over it.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:00 PM
Teching In

id be game for the billet diff, and i have a spare stock diff too!
price is the big factor. the red steal diff for sale is tempting for 5k but cheeper would be better.

if building a new housing, id also look into making it with another intagraded mounting tab so a bracket could be welded off of the cradle for extra suport location, to help with wheel hop.
Old 01-02-2010, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

Forgive my lack of metal property knowledge, but how much stronger would the billet be over whatever we have stock now?
Old 01-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

I think 2,000 - 3,000 is a reasonable price.

5,000 is to steep.

I would like to see one made for when I have extra cash in the future, But would I buy one right now if it was availible?

No just cause i simply dont have the extra cash . (just spend a **** load replacing my diff and driveshaft)

But if it was as cheap as 2k i can cramble that up, anything more would have to wait.

But I bet it would sell like hell if someone made a steel case.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by deedubb
Forgive my lack of metal property knowledge, but how much stronger would the billet be over whatever we have stock now?
billet is a solid non-porous form of aluminum..with high tensile strength... that starts off as a block that is machined to shape..

the cast crap our diff's are made of is poured into a mold...it is very porous there for making the tensile strength very low
Old 01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Billet may be less expensive to manufacture, unless the material cost is enough to make up the difference. There's no need to build a mold as in the casting process, etc etc.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Ryan
you think you could pull this off??
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the info guys. It would be nice just to get the billet casing then we could put our own axels, gears in etc
Old 01-02-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003RC51
So realistically who would buy a billet diff for $3000-3500?

I have seen it and dealt with this before where people chime in saying they will buy and when the product is ready everyone disappears.

Does anyone have a stock diff laying around that they could spare for a month or so. I just need it for measurements. Most likely whoever supplies the stock diff would get the first billet diff at cost for testing.

Basically this would be for a billet case. You would have to install the gears and all other parts yourself or have a local shop do it.

If I could get my hands on a diff I could have it drawn up in SolidWorks fairly quickly.
Assuming you had a brand new GenIII differential to work with, how would your process differ from that done by Nutz that ended with only one prototype a year ago?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darkman
Assuming you had a brand new GenIII differential to work with, how would your process differ from that done by Nutz that ended with only one prototype a year ago?
I would like to keep that process to myself for the time being. I am probably just gonna look for a used diff to buy instead of borrowing one. This is going to require complete dis-assembly of the diff and I would rather not do that to someones spare. Does the base CTS have the same diff case as the V? Also, does anyone know the ring gear size? I could probably find it if I searched but this is less time consuming.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2003RC51
I would like to keep that process to myself for the time being. I am probably just gonna look for a used diff to buy instead of borrowing one. This is going to require complete dis-assembly of the diff and I would rather not do that to someones spare. Does the base CTS have the same diff case as the V? Also, does anyone know the ring gear size? I could probably find it if I searched but this is less time consuming.
I wasn't looking to expose confidential info. The previous undertaking resulted in a $7+K prototype and a marginal per unit production cost of over $5K excluding internals. Any successful project will presumably need to arrive at a different result.

My research on the other forum indicates that the CTS differentials are very close - perhaps identical except for exterior fins. There are some units with, and some units without, Limited Slip, which may or may not involve different internal dimensions. The pinion to driveshaft points differ between the CTS and the CTS-V. Finally, there are differences between the GenI, GenII, and GenIII cases.

The ring gear size is 41 teeth.

Quick Reply: Straight Axle conversion option!