Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Straight Axle conversion option!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even at 3k thats a a ****-ton of moeny to dump into jsut a differential. I'd be way more likely to make the 09V rear fit into an older one and have something thats stock still stronger if not stronger and with a lot less headache and the need for custom 2 off parts and the hassel of more moeny invested into having a shop set up the gears and everything else
Old 01-03-2010, 01:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tainted
even at 3k thats a a ****-ton of moeny to dump into jsut a differential. I'd be way more likely to make the 09V rear fit into an older one and have something thats stock still stronger if not stronger and with a lot less headache and the need for custom 2 off parts and the hassel of more moeny invested into having a shop set up the gears and everything else
$3k is indeed a lot of money. The problem is that the next cheapest alternative is between $2-$2.5k for most of us and we end up with the same inherent weakness.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkman
I wasn't looking to expose confidential info. The previous undertaking resulted in a $7+K prototype and a marginal per unit production cost of over $5K excluding internals. Any successful project will presumably need to arrive at a different result.

My research on the other forum indicates that the CTS differentials are very close - perhaps identical except for exterior fins. There are some units with, and some units without, Limited Slip, which may or may not involve different internal dimensions. The pinion to driveshaft points differ between the CTS and the CTS-V. Finally, there are differences between the GenI, GenII, and GenIII cases.

The ring gear size is 41 teeth.
I just bought a CTS diff on ebay for 135$

After exploding my last diff, the case is the only thing that went bad, the gears and etc are still good.

Im going to atemp to swap my internals into the cts case, and then I might have to buy a CTS-V pinion . This way Ill have a spare diff for just a few bucks.

The part number Diff I bought is 10361308 , which still has 3.73 gears but I dont think it has limited slip.

Any one know how I can find out if the Diff I bought has limited slip ?
Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd be interested in a billet rear diff
Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw yesterday 2 CTS, CTS-V diffs for sale on ebay for under 200, fyi in case anyone needs one. I think the keywords were "case" not differential.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:42 PM
TECH Resident

2 members on Cadillacforums bought them both already. Good deal too.

Quick Reply: Straight Axle conversion option!